K-rend wet dashing

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian shaw

Hi there, I'm gonna wet dash k-rend on a new build (block) with a sand and cement scratch coat first with free flow then k-rend as top coat with the k-rend wet dash to finish it. Is this gonna be the same drying time as sand and cement wet dash? Any tips? I've done lots of dry dash,wet dash and k-rend jobs before but not wet dash k-rend.

I've a fair bit if experience with the k-rend wet dash and it's a lot more difficult to apply than standard sand and cement dash! The mix has to be pretty much perfect and used pretty quickly as the silicone properties in the cast starts setting! Also using a non k-rend back round completely voids any guarantees should anything go wrong with the finished article! There cheapest basecoat GP mortar mix is pretty cheap and pretty good to use! Ad be happy to answer any questions you have on the product

Nah its just a General Purpose cement based mix! brilliant for new block and if the budget is tight!

The second coat of dash receiver or over dash are silicon based and acts as a barrier against water penetration

How do you mix it albarend? Re 'stiffening up' we mixed it on the scaffold in a forklift tub, and if I felt it was starting too tighten up a little another 20 second whisk did the trick.
I found it a dream to use

What I meant was is the GP Render waterproof so you have time to apply it and rule it flat rather than as soon as you apply it, it has 'gone in' and you cant play with it.

Exact same fella we used to mix using a mixer but found it too labour intense passing up several heights of scaffolding etc mixing next our work meant we had enough time once mixed to get in on the wall! I like it that bit wetter for an even spread! We enjoy using it its by far the toughest external render system about lol av also heard of other tradesmen adding in extra chips to the mix not something a done personally

What I meant was is the GP Render waterproof so you have time to apply it and rule it flat rather than as soon as you apply it, it has 'gone in' and you cant play with it.
Yeah we usually give the block a good damping down or a really water downed pva mix to give us that bit of extra time with it! They recently updated the product and it's pretty good gear now almost creamy now

Nope, if there putting in extra chips there's something wrong, my main tip to a newbie would be to mix it for what seems like forever, as it plasticises, comes up nice & creamy, and try it on a patch when you think it's too wet!
We used to mix the dash & receiver side by side on scaffold.

We use the overdash product as a second coat instead of dash receiver! The overdash is mainly used for re roughcasting on top of existing render it's skins over pretty quick but still soft to take the roughcast chip it basically stops the chip from sinking back and sits on the surface! We find it much easier to use

Cheers for all this info guys. Would it be safe to mix The backing coat in big tubs with our paddle mixer next to where were Woking on scaff and at same time mix the dashing in my bell mixer at the bottom of ladder? Also do you put free flow or feb in with the dashing or is it already in it?

hi guys
using krend dash receiver and roughcast next week for the first time, im going to spray the backing coat on, 50 metres. will this hang for a hour or 2 going on to a sand and cement scratch with waterproof in it? or do i need to have the roughcast mixing while spreading?any info would be grateful
, thanks

Cheers again. 1 more thing, how long would ya have when backing coat is on before ya dash? Say in temperature 12-18, no direct sun light as its all shaded because next door both sides are tight. Back doesn't get sun till night and front is stone face.

Hi , I've done a lot of kdash but never onto s&c , usually hpx then receiver then dash, depending on temp I usually lay on about 30m then dash, gotta time it just right also mix dash wet as within 5 min it starts to take up making it difficult to use, all that aside its great stuff [emoji106]

@Rigsby have you ever sprayed this dash recevier for krend roughcast?
and do you mix roughcast when doing it? going to use my ritmo for the first time for this and want to get the timing right, cheers.

You should be able to spread 50m with a 2+1 no probs before turning back to dash, don't just lash it on though flatten as you would laying down skim, if you put on too much before dashing it can form a seal and the dash can have a tendency to slide. I Defoe wouldn't be mixing dash in a belle mixer! It wouldn't have enough time to mix or to keep up, mix enough to do whatever your dashing per panel or two

thanks @BigK for the info,was going to use a belle mixer and a bath, but may just hire something a little bigger.theres only 2 of us so dont want any pressure if i can help it.

Depends how much you have to do.
Don't be frightened of mixing up plenty of stuff, it'll come back with a quick whisk, wouldn't entertain mixers personally, mix on scaffold.

First day using it I got twice as much covered than expected, second day got massive amounts covered. It's all about setting up as the stuff itself is a dream to use.

Reactions: JNR
if thats the case i may just mix and pour out of belle into 150 litre bath and stir up with drill as i use,

if thats the case i may just mix and pour out of belle into 150 litre bath and stir up with drill as i use,

It depends on the job in hand, if your doing a former bungalow for example that's no problem, but if your three lifts high mix on scaffold, if you've only one drill it's no problem, mix the receiver then into the dash....

Status
Not open for further replies.