K Rend TC15 Problems??

nbs

Were renovating a property for resale and fitted Ewi to the outside, all was going well the base coat on and primed. We came to put the top coat tc15, on neither of us had used this before although my mate has done lots of krend bagged render before. I watched every bit of youtube i could find and looks pretty straight forward??? spread , pull it back to the grain in the top coat and rub up. Anyway the problem went like this, we spread a decent and removed a bit and came to rub it up with a refina plassy float. It just would rub to a finish it would pull and snag even with the lightest pressure and the float kept spotless, we thought let it pick up a bit more nothing! anyway in the end we had to knock it down to try and apply our own finsh which in fairnes isn't a complete disaster but just couldn't get what the problem was? the gear was mixed well added a cup of water and applied to a well primed surface not in excessive sun or owt. Anyone got any ideas? can this tc15 be over skimmed with the same gear or is it a case of like the finish or lump it.

Excessive sun?

If your background had absorbed heat you will be in trouble. I have only has problems with acrylics where heat is involved.

Except wash offs in winter.

Hi guys and thanks for taking the time to reply.
Well i wouldn't of thought sun should have been a problem we haven't seen any here for ages lol and we started on shady side in the am. Unless maybe eps had absorbed or heated the base in some way?

I am thinking ivor may have it, as it didnt seem to rub up straight away we left it to pick up a bit longer

Lucky it wasn't a paying customer as its a property i am renovating to sell, so the only customer doing my head in is me !

So still the big question is would there be any corrective action possible? like thin coat over the top?

Really appreciate your help on this guys

Tricky for anyone to advise if a thin coat over the top would work without seeing the job to be honest.

Sometimes, priming and T/C over the top works. Other times a base coat is required.

If you have some images you can upload I'm sure the guys here will be able to help

Was the heating on? I did a ewi dashing job on at 8am on a February morning and got into problems with drying. A well insulated house that absorbed loads of heat from the night before.

But you say it was hanging? sounds the opposite. Maybe just bad timing of too soon then too late.

If it is fairly flat then you may be able to go straight over it.

If it's 1.5mm your going to need a lot more top coat than if you were going over a 'Flat' base as it was, as the uneven substate will eat it up.
Applying thin coats you need to be well organised and methodical, I always have 3 of us on any decent size panel, this time of year with the humidity as it is,one laying on, one going straight over , one for dropping back bringing gear etc, it's not for the faint hearted and you need to know what your doing as you've just realised.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys

No the heating is disconnected atm in the property rigsby.
But i think i have sorted the problem, i had made up a couple of test panels on off cuts of eps which i skimmed and rubbed up today with no problem. I think if i am honest we had laid it on a tad to thick, on too big of a run to start with to get it rubbed up for inexperienced guys on this gear.
Its is 1.5mm owls,but luckily as we couldn't rub it up due to the too much gear i spose, we knocked it down in an attempt to create some sort of finish which is pretty much flat see piccy. spoke to K rend they said should be good to use their primer and go over it in a few days!

An expensive learning curve as would of been cheaper to go and get hands on at gold trowel for the weekend lol

Attachments

• 20160620_132816.jpg
    20160620_132816.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,204
  • 20160620_132801.jpg
    20160620_132801.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,329
f**k me ! How did you manage mono finish with silicone render! That can be the next years trend across the border :D.
Looking at the pictures mate, you are absolutely right- it's too hick and wrong timing. No matter how uneven your basecoat is you can't make it up with the top coat. His is why you have different grain sizes. If is 1.5 should be applied at 1.5 mm thickness. And golden trowel won't teach you in a few days how to finish the top coat. Practice and experience is the key. Where you based?

Haha by the end of it we had actually worked a decent system to get that finish lol. I kept telling my mate we need to work to the grain size and kept laying it on saying "we will rub it back" "No problem mate don't stress" i should of smacked him round the head with a bucket trowel lol. To be fair the basecoat is nice and flat as well.
we are near Telford

Simply apply as tight as the grain size. Start rubbing as soon as.

I go over it 3 times. First just after it is applied but then the next two is down to perfect timing.

Sometimes alot of people read about thin coat colours etc sounds fancy have a go etc. Not saying thats the case with the op but in general people need to realise there is no magic or easy render. Its hard work that should be installed by highly experienced tradesmen. You only get seconds to coat and finish acrylic. Amount of people i see doing it that simply cant physically move quick enough is laughable