K Rend Ghosting

Members online

msmale88

Hello,
My name is Mark and I recently purchased a new house in Aug 2020. The house had been built for approx. 18 months before we moved in. We have in the last few weeks noticed that you can see the blockwork through the render, which i believe is called Ghosting. We have spoken to the builder and rendering company who have said that this is ok and won't effect the structural integrity of the building. Is this something that someone on here can confirm please as i tend to think otherwise... It also doesnt look very appealing.
We have also had issues whereby there is damp showing in the render at the corners of the windows. We got the window company to come in (they also deal with render), they said the windows were fitted correctly and it was in fact something to do with not enough water proofing added to the render. Does this sound correct and something the renderer/builder should replace?
I just want a second opinion for a bit of piece of mind, so any feedback would be gratefully received.
See images below on all things.
Many thanks Mark

Attachments

• 1610450958249.png
    1610450958249.png
    1 MB · Views: 634
  • 1610451425704.png
    1610451425704.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 801
Window fitter doesn't know what he's talking about, tell him to stick to windows. mono has all the additives in to make it waterproof, ghosting is a nightmare, painting it with the correct paint should cover it, and no it won't affect the structural integrity.

Window fitter doesn't know what he's talking about, tell him to stick to windows. mono has all the additives in to make it waterproof, ghosting is a nightmare, painting it with the correct paint should cover it, and no it won't affect the structural integrity.
Ok thanks Loky. So are you saying this happens often and is something we should be ok with? I have seen it on other houses before but didnt really know what it was all about etc. Wheres a good place to look for the correct paint?

Ok thanks Loky. So are you saying this happens often and is something we should be ok with? I have seen it on other houses before but didnt really know what it was all about etc. Wheres a good place to look for the correct paint?
If it has been applied too thin, or hasn't got base coat on, this can be the result, the manufacturer of the render should have paint, which is suitable for mono, which still allows the render to breath.

i can see a hole in the render where it joins the window cill. that is letting rain get in behind the render.
it looks like the builder got what he paid for a cheap job! no rend aid and mesh base coat.

Hello,
My name is Mark and I recently purchased a new house in Aug 2020. The house had been built for approx. 18 months before we moved in. We have in the last few weeks noticed that you can see the blockwork through the render, which i believe is called Ghosting. We have spoken to the builder and rendering company who have said that this is ok and won't effect the structural integrity of the building. Is this something that someone on here can confirm please as i tend to think otherwise... It also doesnt look very appealing.
We have also had issues whereby there is damp showing in the render at the corners of the windows. We got the window company to come in (they also deal with render), they said the windows were fitted correctly and it was in fact something to do with not enough water proofing added to the render. Does this sound correct and something the renderer/builder should replace?
I just want a second opinion for a bit of piece of mind, so any feedback would be gratefully received.
Many thanks Mark
You've been caspered

Hello,
Many thanks Mark
#caspered

Hello,
Many thanks Mark
@Casper

i can see a hole in the render where it joins the window cill. that is letting rain get in behind the render.
it looks like the builder got what he paid for a cheap job! no rend aid and mesh base coat.
Hi Malc, i've actually now sealed those gaps to stop the water getting in behind the render. That being said, the window fitting company said they had done it correctly and shouldnt need sealing, as the render should have enough waterproofing for this not to happen.
If it has been applied too thin, or hasn't got base coat on, this can be the result, the manufacturer of the render should have paint, which is suitable for mono, which still allows the render to breath.
Thanks for your help Loky. I'm guessing they will have a paint to match the colour of the render?

Hi Malc, i've actually now sealed those gaps to stop the water getting in behind the render. That being said, the window fitting company said they had done it correctly and shouldnt need sealing, as the render should have enough waterproofing for this not to happen.

Thanks for your help Loky. I'm guessing they will have a paint to match the colour of the render?
Stop listening to your window guy as he ain't a clue

Window fitters, plumbers, sparkys, joiners, kitchen fitters, builders.....etc are all w4nkers, because it’s never their fault, they have done everything correctly and it’s always our fault (for what ever reason), right f’ing w4nkers

ok I feel better now

Hi Mark/,
Do you know how thick the render has been applied?
You can usually tell by the depth of the bell cast bead on the bottom of the render.

Iain

Hi Mark/,
Do you know how thick the render has been applied?
You can usually tell by the depth of the bell cast bead on the bottom of the render.

Iain
Hi Iain, I'm not sure how thickly it has been applied but thanks for the advice. I'm not actually someone who does rendering myself, so when you say bell cast bead, what is this? Apologies for my naivety...

Hi Iain, I'm not sure how thickly it has been applied but thanks for the advice. I'm not actually someone who does rendering myself, so when you say bell cast bead, what is this? Apologies for my naivety...
Actually Iain, I've just looked it up and seen what it is. Looks like its 15mm of render applied.

Hello,
Many thanks Mark
Had recent experience with window people. They were talking so much s**t and average home owner would probably accept it if said with confidence.
Clearly there is a specific defect at the window detail . Common problem is drip from the edge of the sill from the window run off or here it looks like a hole.
Ask the company to check with the manufacturer k rend to see what they think of the ghosting and if done to spec

I’d say just seal it mate see if that helps atm it’s only water making the marks you have posted the elevation looks ok to me besides that , I just bought a load of Vimark vimisal aqua sealer it’s roughly £150 a tub good stuff goes quite far too , have a google yourself can brush that on off a ladder in a day there no problem and might be the answer to your problem

I’d say just seal it mate see if that helps atm it’s only water making the marks you have posted the elevation looks ok to me besides that , I just bought a load of Vimark vimisal aqua sealer it’s roughly £150 a tub good stuff goes quite far too , have a google yourself can brush that on off a ladder in a day there no problem and might be the answer to your problem
Thanks Vincey. I've now sealed all the windows so hopefully this helps with that problem. I'll also take a look at the Vimark and see if I can grab some. Hopefully renderer will be coming over to take a look soon as he retracted yesterday and said he will now...