K-Rend advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ady37

I priced a job last week on a semi detached house. There is approx 50m2 which the guy wants rendering in K-Rend. I have to hold my hand up I have not used it before so this will be a learning experience for me, there are a couple of small block work areas on the job which I thought I could do first to get my hand in so to speak. There are a few probs with this job and that's why I am seeking advice here.

1. The front on house was done by other plasterers - he was not happy with the work, he said he paid them but obviously he stopped them doing the rest. He wants that knocking off and re-doing. The prob here is that the finish in my opinion is not that bad, there is an arch over the door frame which has been done without beading so the line is a bit wobbly and a bead has a little kink in it on one angle, also where finishing up to some none rendered stone sections it could be a little tidier but when you look at the overall job it really isn't that bad. Also he says the finish is not smooth enough, I think it is pretty reasonable but am not sure how smooth you can get k rend.

2. He wants a smooth finish ? Can you get a smooth finish with K-Rend ? You know like a plain face render. I have looked on Google and on k rend site but it is not very obvious by what I have seen if and just how smooth a finish can be achieved. If you can finish it to a smooth finish which is the product I would need ??

Am I taking too big a risk with this job ? Client may well be over fussy and could cause problems, also my big worry is that the product just doesn't finish to what he wants.

I took a few pictures with my phone which are pretty reasonable quality of the front of the house which he is not happy with. I will post them up here later (have to nip out now) and hopefully some of you guys can give me your opinions.

get a local plasterer to help you who has done plenty of k-rend before and then you still get the job and the experience of krend

I would not be pushed on taking it on IMO as you think the finish is not too bad but he is not happy with it, he seems very fussy. K-rend dont recommend floating and sponging as the sponging can discolour. Weber have a finish tho. But if your busy enough leave, is it worth the bother?

A flat rubbed up coloured render? Do K-Rend do one?

I know of a company that does but even they say it has to rubbed at the same state of set all over or it will be different shades.

Walk away or let him find and buy the product if it exists.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am gonna walk away from the job because there are just too many risks involved. I did try to get the guy to go for a sand,cement,lime plain face finish telling him it would be cheaper but he wouldn't go for it. He has obviously got an idea in his head of what he wants from somewhere and doesn't want anything else. Thanks again for the advice.

Dear sir
Reading your thread has been painfull , I flew to Ireland to do the k rend course a few years ago and I have alot of experience applying and finishing the silicone FT applied on to hpx and as a 1 COAT on very large areas ,
I picked up on a few things you have said , k rend can be finished without a bead if pulled to a batton or timber thats coated in shuttering oil applied proud finished / scraped back then removed , to say its a bit woobly but it looks ok doesent sount good pal !
If its being rubbed up /srcrached of while its too wet then it can come of uneven and unsightly also there are many contributing facts like makung sure both base coat and top coat were ruked to a true flat surface and preasure when scratching its more a flick of the rist than a wave of the arm if using the hand tool its a gentile process that takes care and skill with the finish being flat looking .

Dear sir
Reading your thread has been painfull , I flew to Ireland to do the k rend course a few years ago and I have alot of experience applying and finishing the silicone FT applied on to hpx and as a 1 COAT on very large areas ,
I picked up on a few things you have said , k rend can be finished without a bead if pulled to a batton or timber thats coated in shuttering oil applied proud finished / scraped back then removed , to say its a bit woobly but it looks ok doesent sount good pal !
If its being rubbed up /srcrached of while its too wet then it can come of uneven and unsightly also there are many contributing facts like makung sure both base coat and top coat were ruked to a true flat surface and preasure when scratching its more a flick of the rist than a wave of the arm if using the hand tool its a gentile process that takes care and skill with the finish being flat looking .

erm......thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.