Just out of interest...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a bit of a rant today with a builder I'm doing some work for - he's afriend of a friend so the banter was flying about when we got onto daily rates and how much I could do in a day - on my own, no labourer

Anyway, I'm doing a fairly large room for him, 4 walls and a ceiling for £350 - In my mind thats cheap, I'd usually go in about £500 but theres the chance of repeat work so I thought I'd keep him sweet

Got the ceiling and 2 walls on today so going back tomorrow to put the other 2 walls on and be home for 1

He knows my daily rate is £150 and so got a bit narky when I said I'd be done by lunch tomorrow - reckons he should only have been charged £225, one and a half days work !!

I went in cheap anyway but would anyone on here knock a whole room out (fairly large) for £225 ?

Had I done a long day I could have knocked it all out - Would he only want to be charged £150 ??

Just curious what you guys charge for an average sized room, skim only, no boarding or major remedial work needed

even large rooms are usually only 2 spreads unless there are a load of shitty nibs collumns an boxings then 3 spreads

so if i ever do a bit of domestic i want at least £200 a day 1 room 1 day £200 if its gonna take me an extra spread ill stay a bit later an chuck another £50 on

a price is a price mate, if he agreed it then thats his tough s**t. i always tell them your paying me to do a job. your not paying for my company.

With the ceiling 3-4 sets for me for a large room,£350 to skim only is to much ( in this climate ).
£35 for materials £305 for 1 long day or a day and a morning is to much to pay no wonder hes grumbling.
But if you can get it take it.The thing is though if you smashed the room out in a day which is easily achievable then hell expect that each time.
My advice is when working for builders offer them a price not day rate or meter rate afixed guaranteed price its best for both that way.

As far as im concerned, there should be no such thing as day rate if ur doing ur own work. its just an excuse for someone to take the p*ss out of you.

they always want you to do more meters and more hours than you do. theyll happily let u bust ur arse for sod all, but if u do 1 day where they aint ready of theres a prob and u cant do a full days work, they want u to stay late or pay less. like they think a 30-40 meter lid that u have to put on in 1 hit is worth half a day, £75??

it should be a price for every job on meters. if its just patching, how many days u think itll take, plus a couple of quid for the inevitable hold up. and price it at a minimum of whatever u want a day.

if anyone apart from a m8 asks how much do u charge a day, i always say i dont do day work, all pre agreed prices. half the time they dont wanna no after that

skimmin2day said:
With the ceiling 3-4 sets for me for a large room,£350 to skim only is to much ( in this climate ).
£35 for materials £305 for 1 long day or a day and a morning is to much to pay no wonder hes grumbling.
But if you can get it take it.The thing is though if you smashed the room out in a day which is easily achievable then hell expect that each time.
My advice is when working for builders offer them a price not day rate or meter rate afixed guaranteed price its best for both that way.

too much you have got to be joking, domestic is all about quality and not quantity its not a race to see how much you can put on its about leaving the best job you can, for me your price is right.

£500 does seem a bit heafty for a large room re-skim, but suppose it depends where you are. Nobody up here (sheff) would pay that, people are moaning at my prices.

i would have gone in at around £300 plus mats and just have taken my time do a good job leave it clean ect ect... but like i say people customer/builders still moan at that.

pricing on m2 for domestics doesn't work imo, and charging over £150 a day on domestics just leaves you open to get undercut by the former lollipop man now a plasterer who lives down the road!

4x3 room couple of hundred quid... 2 sets
5x5 room 3 hundred... 3 sets
i charge by the set within reason, 1 set being up to about 25 metres...
the nibs and reveals thing, well once ive looked at the job i divide it up into sets, if theres loads of farty little bits the amount i can get on and trowel up in one set comes down, obviously....
i just find its easy and simple that way... take off your material costs for a 2 sets, and your left with a half decent wage and a bit for gordon...
i dont normally post up what i charge anymore due to the amount of idiots fresh off a plastering course (or fresh out the pub filled with 'how to plaster a wall instructions') coming on pricing against other established spreads asking how much to undercut them by.... but f'ck it its christmas ;D

i cant remember where i found her pug... i just linked to it last time....
ill have to do a search after chrimbo.... maybe find a better one next time... topless with any luck.. ;D

just thought seeing as we havent got a chrimbo smiley to add to our posts id add my own... ;D

seems a fair price to me,usually charge 300 + mats for that sort of thing, covered yourself for two days work,so what you got it done a little quicker thats your gain not his,used your tools and skill and agreed the price if he wanted it done for 225 he should not of agreed 350

this guy agreed a price. so it shudnt mater if u came and did it in a 1hr or a week. the tw@t wdnt offer u more mony if it took you a week so he cnt moan if you do it in a day. Fcks me off wen this happens. A firm we subby to had a job for us to do, which the builder specificaly asked for myself and my partner to do the job. Not alot of m2 but very detailed floted work with shapes that left us scratching our heads for a while b4 we got started. So our QS give us a price based on a weeks work. based on what we make on price in a week. We started monday and finished for wednesday dinner. We finnished the week crashing into sum meter work. which they tried not to pay us for cos they said that we had already earned a weeks money. now to me thats fcking wrong .

wow prices! iv been charging £280 for 4 walls and a window in 3x3 rooms and extra £75 FOR CEILINGs!

me and a lab days work either way and if there are more than 1 room i can send the lab preping up the others.

i dont no wot i do diffrent maybe people just want me in there house :)

Oasis these prices are for one person NO lab mate.
Also when pricing for builders you gotta be cheaper and top notch at ur trade !!! They no whats fair price to pay a plasterer and profitable for them, they give the customer a price of say £500 and they wanna make say £100 for doing nothing or thell get someone else untill they make there bit.
working on site and working for builders total different animal to domestic work and pricing

yea sorry just relized that this is a builder job, i wouldt charge more than £120 a day for a builder and £180-£190 with a lab

I only do work for one builder now days i do all kinds of work for him he gets me in i tell him what i want paying and he gets what he wants from the customer.
I like to work this way,i been doing work for him for 12 years,and it works both ways.
As a customer of mine wanted some walls knocking through and reconfiguration of 2 rooms downstairs and knocking spearate toilet into bathroom upstairs, i can do this work but to busy with other stuff and would rather get invovld in the plastering painting tiling stages.
So i get quotes for electrics and from builder freinds and add my bit to it and take the work im willing to do and everyones happy and everyone makes a decent/fair wage.
Its all about being fairly priced nowdays,price matters so much,quality helps with plastering but a lot of domestic work the customer doesnt know what good or bad plastering is!!!
I like to stay small and not take to many high risks,keep all my work compact get in get out get paid get new work and im never greedy just make a fair living.
Leave the bigger work to the bigger companies with the bigger worries.
What im getting at is why work for builders and all the hassle that goes with it only to get sh a t on when he finds someone cheaper to get paid a wage you can earn more doing your own work!!! over time youll find good reliable sources from a couple builders that will bring you 5-6 jobs a year if you scrath there back thell scrath yours.

If this builder finishes his job quicker than he thought will he knock some off the customers bill?

No I didnt think so.............cos builders are the lowest form of scum on planet earth.

Ethically and morally, the only correct course of action is to get a lump hammer and knock his teeth down his theiveing throat.

Most builders are so full of s**t its unreal, they try to get you to do more than a days work, for as little money as possible, always claiming "the other guy I use does that amount in a day so I expect you to do the same", funny how you never see that "other guy" and if hes that good, why dont he use him.

Does my head in, I know business is business but treat those who work for you fairly and they will help you out when they can, but treat them like s**t and your have no one to get yourself out of trouble.

To many out for themselves wankers in this world!

oasis said:
yea sorry just relized that this is a builder job, i wouldt charge more than £120 a day for a builder and £180-£190 with a lab
I don't think it's a case of 'you wouldn't charge,' more a case of 'they won't pay.' Because they are greedy gits.

Status
Not open for further replies.