just advice on a mixer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodytheplumber

Hi all i am new on here but basicly am a plumber who has a fair bit of experiance in the wide building game and on the bathrooms i do i usually dot and dab and skim them myself, i am not quick but i get a nice finish for the last year i have been using a £35 aldi special mixer (i usually buy the best i can but presumed as i only use it for a couple of days a month it will be fine) but as i seem to be doing bigger bathrooms and more plastering work in them i was wondering if a better mixer will make it any easier or quicker cheers.

A better mixer is more reliable and is capable of mixing higher volumes: it will not make it easier or quicker.

A larger mixing paddle will reduce the mixing time slightly but it would be inappropriate to use a large paddle for small volumes.

For mixing dry wall adhesive you should use a MR4 paddle because it is designed for mixing heavy/viscous compounds. For finishing plasters, you should use a MR3 paddle :)

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to spend, a Bosch stirrer is very good for full time use or a refina or eibenstock

A better mixer is more reliable and is capable of mixing higher volumes: it will not make it easier or quicker.

A larger mixing paddle will reduce the mixing time slightly but it would be inappropriate to use a large paddle for small volumes.

For mixing dry wall adhesive you should use a MR4 paddle because it is designed for mixing heavy/viscous compounds. For finishing plasters, you should use a MR3 paddle :)
Completely ignore this post you could change a paddle for renders but for different plasterers is a load of b*ll***s just stick to a reverse paddle if you buy one separately from the drill and refina or eibenstock are the best out there, dont go too low on wattage if you're mixing gear stiff 1100 minimum

35quid 4 aldi mixer what does that mix poxy doe balls u tight arse know wonder u plumbers r all minted buying cheap shite

You should invest in a 1800W Refina Mega-Mixer :)

I'd say this is a complete waste of money for what you do.
A 1000w D-handle from Refina would last you years, I've had one for about fifteen years and it's still going strong. The only time you need 1800w is when you're mixing larger quantities.

Try Dominos deals, great deals and great after sales service. i purchased a petral Belle minimax 150 which was previously owned, he gave me a great deal and thru in the transformer for nowt. Canny value Marra. :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
I bought an aldi mixer for £40 when starting out! It was great in the sense that I was skint at the time. Lasted me about 8months until I forked out for a decent one upon its death

tight arse? and plumbers all minted no chance! asc your self what a decent sds / core drill/ circularsaw/ jigsaw/ freezing machine/ powerflusher/ just to name a fue cost! i arnt a plasterer and unless its one of the bathrooms i am doing i dont touch it its a cheep mixer that does the job when i first started doing a bit of plastering now i am doing a bit more i am going to buy the propper tool been looking at the dewalt one on screwfix? anyone have any experiance with that cheers

If you have a look around on eBay for 100 quid you can get a draper drill 1800w, it's not a bad make and has got power the only problem you have with 800w drills is if you mix gear a bit stiff you can burn them out
if you're not in any rush keep an eye out for anything that's got refina mega mixer or eibenstock on it, if you're patient enough you should get a good deal they do come up trust me

Woody if u are talk'n bout the dewalt drill mixer i have had one for approx 6yr and only had to change the brushes on it a couple of times they cost about 18 quid a pop. Personally i think it is great but it scares the sh#t out of any new labourers cos of the paddle i have on it but would of thought from what you are saying you do it would be more than enough machine for what u need.

For what your doing Wickes sell one for £80ish with a 5 yr guarantee but the paddle is poor and worth spending some of your spare dosh getting a decent paddle

Status
Not open for further replies.