Jub Nano or STO Lotusan

Rob55

Hi, I have built a new house which is now ready for render. It's in a high rain area, extremely close to trees, and other houses nearby have a lot of red algae. So I want a render with the best resistance to these elements and also one which is resistant to cracking. The substrate is 10N concrete block.

What would you all recommend as the best product out there? I spoke to STO and Jub, both have nano technology which is supposed to repel water and dirt better than any silicone or acrylic render. STO actually don't advise Lotusan for a house, because they say that it can get dirty from people's hand prints? Jub on the other hand said theirs would be perfect for the job.

I do also love the look of monocouche, and have been told that you can spray on a sealer that will greatly repel algae, but been told it can be more prone to cracking than thin coat render?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rob

I think Spider-Man had something to do with nano technology might be wrong! Fancy picking somewhere to live where it rains all the time cut your trees down and do it in sand and cement (y)

Hi Bud

Your post would of been better in the Render section

Someone like @owls or @Dansouthcoast84 or @malc or several others will help
(Sorry to the others I missed)

The 2you have mentioned are good for what you are looking for, other render companies have similar...
sealed mono is ok for a short period of time, but usually need regular resealing

Good Luck
Richard
Aquapanel Tech Manager

Hi, I have built a new house which is now ready for render. It's in a high rain area, extremely close to trees, and other houses nearby have a lot of red algae. So I want a render with the best resistance to these elements and also one which is resistant to cracking. The substrate is 10N concrete block.

What would you all recommend as the best product out there? I spoke to STO and Jub, both have nano technology which is supposed to repel water and dirt better than any silicone or acrylic render. STO actually don't advise Lotusan for a house, because they say that it can get dirty from people's hand prints? Jub on the other hand said theirs would be perfect for the job.

I do also love the look of monocouche, and have been told that you can spray on a sealer that will greatly repel algae, but been told it can be more prone to cracking than thin coat render?

Rob
Rough cast last for ever. Very weather resistant when it get mouldy power wash on it. Like new again.

• Agree
Reactions: Djr

Rob
Go with jub thin coat,
F*** monocouche

Sto is right in saying it is not suitable for domestic unless it is 2m above ground level. I have used Jub Nano many times with no issues but then through a ‘other’ technical rep he brought it to my attention that the nano finishes do what they say except they attract oil and grease hence the remark about finger prints.

So they are excellent in a low air pollution area but anywhere near a busy road or oil fired boiler they attract oil fumes as in diesel emissions. That clings to the surface which then attracts dirt to stick to the oil. As I said I have used Jub Nano with no issues but when you are selling a self cleaning product that has a side effect you could be getting into trouble so now I only recommend silicone finishes. The silicones, acrylics, are flexible and colour fast so more reliable than brittle monocouches.

As for the sealing of Monocouche? Well thats nanotechnology so back to the above problem. Also bear in mind with all the self cleaning products if your home is well insulated then still expect the North East side to go green although it can be washed off easier. Getting a silicone with a biocide built in will help which I think Jub Silicone has.

Sto is right in saying it is not suitable for domestic unless it is 2m above ground level. I have used Jub Nano many times with no issues but then through a ‘other’ technical rep he brought it to my attention that the nano finishes do what they say except they attract oil and grease hence the remark about finger prints.

So they are excellent in a low air pollution area but anywhere near a busy road or oil fired boiler they attract oil fumes as in diesel emissions. That clings to the surface which then attracts dirt to stick to the oil. As I said I have used Jub Nano with no issues but when you are selling a self cleaning product that has a side effect you could be getting into trouble so now I only recommend silicone finishes. The silicones, acrylics, are flexible and colour fast so more reliable than brittle monocouches.

As for the sealing of Monocouche? Well thats nanotechnology so back to the above problem. Also bear in mind with all the self cleaning products if your home is well insulated then still expect the North East side to go green although it can be washed off easier. Getting a silicone with a biocide built in will help which I think Jub Silicone has.
All good stuff as usual Rigsby
my comment about red oxide in a sand cement lime mix was aimed at the expense that people will go to have a pristine white render next to a congested road.

Thanks for the replies so far, good info there @Rigsby . So would silicone thin coat be your choice on this job? And avoid nano?

I can’t buy STO materials myself so it is def working out the most expensive, is it worth the premium? I haven’t actually seen it before, but heard good things. All the applicators seem to prefer it, but not sure if that’s because they get the best turn from it?

If you do go with Jub then go for their winter grade silicone it comes as 2 pack. It will be shower proof in hours as other un-modified silicones can take days to dry and risk wash off.

as rigsby says. but you mentioned you were around trees etc. so.i think nano will be ok. weve done plenty in forest areas and 3 4 yrs on still bright white.
our work is 90% jub and never have a problem

Only problem for me, is that JUB isn’t readily available in Northern Ireland and I will struggle to get an approved applicator. Whereas STO is no problem (likewise K Rend/Weber/Parex if I don’t go the Nano route)

i can help you get you jub over to NI snd put you in touch with a sto rep in ireland

Thanks mate, I have already spoken to Declan from STO and he put me on to a couple of their applicators.

I can buy Jub from the mainland, but don’t know if I’ll get an approved installer. Would that put you off? Maybe there’s no point if Nano isn’t going to be suitable anyway.

There all pretty as much a much really all got BBA's
It's just down to applicator preferences, desired textures etc as well as cost, availability.
It's just taking preventative steps and future proofing it as much as you can, i.e. Taking into accountWindow cill details, coping details etc and were water is going to run down the renderered finish over the years.

Johnstone's silicone is good stuff, it's readily available in northern Ireland thay have there own branches over there

Thanks mate, I have already spoken to Declan from STO and he put me on to a couple of their applicators.

I can buy Jub from the mainland, but don’t know if I’ll get an approved installer. Would that put you off? Maybe there’s no point if Nano isn’t going to be suitable anyway.
ask jub if they have any installers in your area. they will pass you any numbers if they have. and declan you cant go wrong with so either way id say your safe

What’s the MR system?

MR system is an EWI. system. MR is from Birkenhead , it is a good system with the boards fixed with 5 mushrooms each, the mesh has only mushrooms around the perimeter. their dashing mortar is the best i have used, we lay the whole side of a block a flats on before we turn back dashing.
this system was often used in London.

MR system is an EWI. system. MR is from Birkenhead , it is a good system with the boards fixed with 5 mushrooms each, the mesh has only mushrooms around the perimeter. their dashing mortar is the best i have used, we lay the whole side of a block a flats on before we turn back dashing.
this system was often used in London.
You got a link to their website? Tried googling it but all I could get was an alumasc system

I haven’t , I know a few lads who have used and they slated the stuff yet the scream about johnstones being fantastic gear

their render is trowel finish not float finish. this can cause problems if you have not been shown.

Another question for you’s, would you fit frame seal beads to all the windows and doors? We aren’t using EWI, we’re rendering direct to blockwork. Been told a frame bead is a good detail to stop render cracking around window/door joints

Another question for you’s, would you fit frame seal beads to all the windows and doors? We aren’t using EWI, we’re rendering direct to blockwork. Been told a frame bead is a good detail to stop render cracking around window/door joints
Apu bead nice clean neat job,
But it's not necessary if a good frame sealer is used after

It will look neat but I use a small tool and do a 1mm cut around the frame and sill to allow for expansion. Customers complain a out it looking untidy but once it is siliconed it looks neat.