joints cracking

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spunkybum

were having loads of probs at the mo with joints cracking on board, not just ceilings on walls aswell ??? both jobs were newbuilds one is 7 months and 3 years old, evrything is completely standard ...........just seems really weird were thinking of going back to leaving a penny gap in the boards or using paper tape is anyone else experiencing this?

aye tapered boards church .....just really weird? one of the builds is a large extension with decent heating throughout the year its been ongoing due to different phases for 3 years, the other is a commercial job cold but not to open to the elements ......dont talk about bringing things back lads hessian scrim was mentioned :eek:.. ;D

i duno bout taperd edge boards and scim cuz iv found the joints crack alot more?maybe to do with the plaster being thicker over a joint..god nos.

cheers for the replys lads ....not sure about the thickness thing though 99% of our work is over tapered board and it's never happened to this extent before .............then were never on site to see it painted and poss all our work cracks like a trooper ::)

sounds like settlement or could be wet timbers used and are drying out, if its happenin only on two new builds i wouldnt worry about your technique or materials rather with the type of building design and weather.

plasterer/steve said:
it can be caused by the heating being whacked on full blast, making every thing shrink! :)

thats what i was thinking..... but u said the site has been heated, may be they turned the heating off over christmas that would of caused everything to expand slightly. same principle as steve's post

Is it a money thing or is there any other reason for using tapered edge board when skimming??? because surly it was designed for t&j

alot of builders i've worked for don't know about TE or SE, and just load 'plasterboard' on they're van!

church said:
Is it a money thing or is there any other reason for using tapered edge board when skimming??? because surly it was designed for t&j

Tapered boards work out cheaper and are a pain to skim

unfortunately there are people called quantity surveyors that work for the dark side ,and they are tight as.....

i was chatting with the owner of the 3 year old heated build and he did say the roof was off for a while (covered with tarps) and it's timber battoned ......not too sure of the second build it was boarded long before i'd seen it so could be one flinny ;).........doesn't explain the walls though they were dabbed with standard and thermal board ....WHICH ARE A COMPLETE BAG OF SHITE AND BEND LIKE A BANANNANANA....NANA.NA.......NANANA :D...and still cracked ???
the t/j issue did come up church we know there designed for tape jointing and have taken over pretty much this side of town but our boss is getting loads of phone calls asking if he wants to buy paper tape aswell as scrim ...........were getting paranoid there selling it to the masses or are they just pushing another sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.