job price

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmo72

went to look at a job today boys ... an old cottage really really high ceilings .. anyway the place is riddled wi artex , she wanted me to skim the ceiling (not to big) and 3 sloped walls which come down three quarters to meet the straight bit of the wall which goes to the floor .. i reckon maybe 3 bags of multi , pva and 1 length of angle bead and good scrape down ...i said to her ill be there best part of a day and quoted 30 pound for mats and job all in 140 quid .. she looked at me like i was an alien . i didn,t think it would cost that much she said ... i smiled and said politely u r getting a ceiling and 3 walls and a reveal done for 110 pounds wot wer u thinking . she just shrugged her shoulders and said ill ring u .... yeh yeh ... would any of u guys have done it any cheaper . nobody out there appreciates spreads they think everythings a 5 min job it winds me up

I would say you were to cheap, I would of gone in at my standared day rate of £200 plus materials.

bloody hell mate she would have had a heart attack i think she was expecting to get it all done for about 20 quid

you were cheap enough mate , i charged around 150 then mats ontop atleast, the thing is your next job you might wana go a little bit cheaper to try make sure you get the job but you will just have to stick to your guns, the person that gets that job for any less than what you were askin would do better workin in a call centre.

thats wot i was thinking mate . its in the same vilage as me so dont have to drive miles i reckon i could do it all in 2 hits so if get early start could be home by 2 -3 ish but not gonna go any lower than that or as u say might as well work in call centre or greenhouses

aye thats true mate .. but i was thinking that she wants the whole house doing room by room so i thought if i get my foot through the door and do a good job and get to do the other rooms i could pull it back that way

i know mate . u make the effort to go there at wot time they say and get treat like a dog ... the thought did cross my mind

timmo72 said:
i know mate . u make the effort to go there at wot time they say and get treat like a dog ... the thought did cross my mind

she didnt pull her face at the price, you were far to cheap, im not slaggin you off but im gonna make a point, everyone complains about guys goin in at mad prices and under cutting them, this is a prime example. people want a price so give it them, they dont want to know what you earn a day ie i want £110 a day. This is were people think they can get it cheaper.

point taken pal . but this was the smallest room in the house . and when i gave her the price she said god if its gonna be that much for this room how much are the others gonna cost ( the other rooms were twice the size ) i honestly dont think she ia clued in to wot prices are for plasterers . the last work she had done was the artex im covering which was put up in the 80,s

timmo72 said:
point taken pal . but this was the smallest room in the house . and when i gave her the price she said god if its gonna be that much for this room how much are the others gonna cost ( the other rooms were twice the size ) i honestly dont think she ia clued in to wot prices are for plasterers . the last work she had done was the artex im covering which was put up in the 80,s

thats the point im makin if your chargin £110 a day how much will the rest cost? if there was a chance of more work fair enough, but most people promise more work, you should of explained a room is a room some bigger some smaller the same amount of prep is involved, the more you have done the cheaper it gets.

I priced a job for a well of couple of snobs a while back, it was reskimming a wall about 10 ft by 8ft , as i didnt have much work on at the time i went in at £80 and the women said HOW MUCH and i said 80 and that includes materials and she replied at that price i would like to think so.
They then told me to go ahead and arrange a day to start the job and i told them i could start in 2 days, the more i thought of it the following day the madder i got , what price were they expecting 30 f**kin quid, so i decided not to turn up and they hounded me on the phone for about a month after that with messages on my answer phone asking me to please call them , they probably had to fork out about £150 to someone else to do job , serves em right . RANT OVER :mad:

pricing is a nightmare! i have set rates, day work, £ per meter on board, reskims etc. some people look at you like you've asked to shag their dog, others say wow thats cheap! you never know how they'll react!

i'd love it if you get a nice job sorted and she rings you back.......oh can you come this weekend .......sorry love flat out at the mo get some other coont in ;D
personally i'd do 20m or 70m in a day and still charge the same on daywork rates, i charge for my time not work done

Yeah i know what your sayin, it seems to be the well of ones who are reluctant to part with the dosh , its as if they are doin you a favour for letting you do the work as you are at the bottom of the food chain.

spunkybum said:
i'd love it if you get a nice job sorted and she rings you back.......oh can you come this weekend .......sorry love flat out at the mo get some other coont in ;D
personally i'd do 20m or 70m in a day and still charge the same on daywork rates, i charge for my time not work done

Spot on, it beats me why some people feel they have to go in at cheap prices, id rather do 3 days at 200 a day than 5 days at 100 a day, if you are a good spread you will always get domestic work even in these times.

sloped walls? high ceilings? what will you be working off trestles? all the prep required for artex? time to write up quote? fuel? phone bill? insurance? tax etc etc etc sorry m8 but you need to think about your pricing i'd be going in at min £300 not including mats for a small room as you have described.

Also dont forget goin to price it this uses up time and fuel, forget this bullshit about free quotes they are only free if you dont get the job ;)

hey, Don't price on the spot, get back to them later, then move on move on, when they want it done they will get back to who they think is the best plasterer in there eyes. (price, personality, skill, don't forget to sell Your Skills, let them know that you are confident, )... just a suggestion.... ;) :)

Good advise from Steve there i've made the mistake a few times when presured to price a job of doing it on the spot, never do it is my advise...go away write up a detailed quote with posh letterhead, and chances are you will not only get the job but get a much higher price.

Silly thing is some jobs you bang a top price in, cos you don't really want the job, and get it. Sometimes you need the work and go in cheap and still don't get it. Main thing is to not get hung about it and move on to the next quote/job. Mind you I think you were on the cheap side so when she phones up after getting some othre quotes tell her you're a lot busier now and that the prices as gone up. Do you reaaly want to work for somebody who will prob be more trouble than the jobs worth.

aye ... anyway she rang back yesterday wanting it doing on wednesday cos thats when a said i could fit her in .. anyway i told her she was to late for the wednesday now ive booked someone else in .told her if she,d made her mind up when i was there she would have got wednesday . told her she,s gonna have to wait another week now . she reluctantly agreed ;D

i always go away nad post a smart invoice..come across as quite good with a smart van and work t-shirts ect..wot fucks me off is people not gettin back to you...they ring u up..u go round..post a quote just for them not ever to reply or some time not even pick the phone up again!or when u get hold of them they say that a friend of a friend is goin to do it cheep..

i priced a job up in june, didn't hear back from them till mid dec, "can you do it next week?" knob

Status
Not open for further replies.