Is this the right lime plaster to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

need2plaster

HI, i have a 400 year old cottage which has the old lime and hair plaster. The plaster at the tops of the wall seems to have softened and is falling away and is loose in places. Also on one wall upstairs where the chimney breast pretrudes from the wall a crack has appeared. My idea is to remove the loose and soft and use a lime undercoat and then top coat....if that is the right thing to do? So far the only product i have come across (and in my local area of Halifax) is Limelite. Really needing some advice on how to approach this situation. The walls are stone with no insulation. Many thanks.

limelite is a good product (does contain little bit if cement) but in your
case i would use a premixed non hydraulic lime and sand
2 backing coats with corse stuff 3:1
1 finish coat ...fine ..sponged to finish 2:1

whoever you buy from should be able to advise.

would add some synthetic fibers to your backing coats give them misting with water couple days slow drying down

would add some synthetic fibers to your backing coats give them misting with water couple days slow drying down

Synthetic fibers are no good in lime as they are too smooth. You need to use animal hair. The lime supplier recommended above will tell you this. You should only use synthetic fibres in cement based renders.

I'll take that back.
Lime Plaster and Render Reinforcement - Bob Bennett

I was going on the advise of someone who was supposed to know what they are talking about.
no problem, they are actualy better as they wont brake down and are easier to add to the mix you can just throw them in to mixer,as with animal hair you have to tease them in little at time very pain ful after while most laboures get piss off after while you end up with ball in your mix very annoying

no problem, they are actualy better as they wont brake down and are easier to add to the mix you can just throw them in to mixer,as with animal hair you have to tease them in little at time very pain ful after while most laboures get piss off after while you end up with ball in your mix very annoying
My instructor on a lime course told me that synthetic fibres were no good bacause just like human hair they are too smooth and the lime cannot 'grip' it. Obviously not though...........and no, I won't be using human hair! Lol.

we use fibres instead of animal hair and seems to be fine..
.never had any problems and as said above mix better

If its on lathes you need to address that first. If their shagged theirs no point going on them if your staying about. Is it a three coat render/skim or does it seem chalky? If so get some chalk mix...i prefer 3 coat sand lime over chalk any day thou!

Status
Not open for further replies.