Is this a better method then normal gypsum skimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
these vids are slowly moving towards the northen european systems, but they are not as advanced.
they no longer use plasterboard, party walls are made of plaster block, blocks of gypsum, dovetailed edges that lock together to give a straight wall. green for wet rooms, pink for soundproofe rooms, magnolia for other rooms they are laid with ceramic tile adhesive so that the joints are very tight. ceilings are precast concrete slabs.
you fill all chases , heads and legs and joints in blockwork and ceiling slabs.with a base coat plaster, gips, fit thin coat angle beads, then skim with a ready mixed self finishing plaster , from a bucket, which sets when it comes in contact with air. the plaster is translucent but dries white the next day.

Seen quite a few of these products on you tube and couple in real life, to be honest when we can find someone who can manage a site like site agents could in the 70s I reckon these bucket spray on finishes have a future, how easy no mixing just spray it on we have always been slow in this country to catch on to new ideas

these vids are slowly moving towards the northen european systems, but they are not as advanced.
they no longer use plasterboard, party walls are made of plaster block, blocks of gypsum, dovetailed edges that lock together to give a straight wall. green for wet rooms, pink for soundproofe rooms, magnolia for other rooms they are laid with ceramic tile adhesive so that the joints are very tight. ceilings are precast concrete slabs.
you fill all chases , heads and legs and joints in blockwork and ceiling slabs.with a base coat plaster, gips, fit thin coat angle beads, then skim with a ready mixed self finishing plaster , from a bucket, which sets when it comes in contact with air. the plaster is translucent but dries white the next day.

We are getting tenders coming for precast ceilings/wall and plasterboard walls they want the same product throught. Also been informed it can be used in heritage work.

I like the sound of these gypsum blocks have you any idea of their name.

seen lads over here few years ago using the sheetrock gear , its all they would use ,they had been using it in states for years , was a good finish for jointing, seen a lot of so called wonder systems over the years, in the 70s had a rep give us a load of cold water tecture coat from germany to replace the artex we were using , we try it out on a cupboard down stairs , lovely gear , looked the business , afew ouid cheaper , then there was a leak in the ceiling , ( think one lads had a piss ) soon as water recontacted with it it fell off the lid , end of making my fortune with that s4576t

good point about site agents. in uk they always want to start next job before it is ready. but that is what happens when unpractical people get involed in a practical job.
we never had any problems about properties not being complete and ready to go, but they do have a job to find plasterers. it is an area where every one goes to uni, and they go into better jobs then the building industury.
my brother and myself would complete a house ever 2 days, first day prep, fitting beads, one coat render to bathrooms, second day skim full house.it is because of the speed and ease of the materials that production is high, therefore they can pay high wages.

The thing with the airless system is that it is mega tight.... and you also have to fill out the joints first... Dont get me wrong its quick and looks ok but I am not convinced the tackers could ever board that neat to make it an option :)

But then on the side not they are doing it for tapers anyway.... hmmmmmmm

Go and speak to @Runswithscissors and see if you can have a play with it at sittingbourne :)

Last edited:
We are getting tenders coming for precast ceilings/wall and plasterboard walls they want the same product throught. Also been informed it can be used in heritage work.

I like the sound of these gypsum blocks have you any idea of their name.

we dubbed the chases, angles out with gips plaster, very simular to knauf, thistle universal. self finish plaster was sigma from finland. available from builders merchants in rotterdam.
the gypsum blocks are just called plaster blocks, common all over holland, denmark, sweden, norway.

iv worked on sites several times where this has been used. its always looked rubbish. the problem is its aimed to be less labour and less skilled, when in reality it is the complete opposite. you have to have very big long runs. if not your only gonna work a couple of hours a day as there is several drying/prep stages. also, the boarding and jointing have to be perfect. if theyre not it will show. there isnt really much margin for error. it was sold as a quick, dry, no mess solution to plastering but its messy as unless you know what your doing, very dusty instead of wet like plaster, and is only quick with runs. when the agent tells you theres a 40m room that needs doing right now, with skim your in and out in day. with this your in for a day to tape and joint, bead and fill out. then back to sand it and spray a coat. this has to dry and has to be sanded. some systems then require a very tight extra coat which again needs sanding. also your joints do have a habit of showing through as the suction is different. so actually the no low skill material needs someone who can tape to a high standard and trowel to a high standard, aswell as spray neat and tidy and prep and clean properly. apart from that its great

Last edited:
It's all down to the applicator, and whether he gives a toss about the finish. We are looking into this, but to me, it's still quicker to skim it traditionally. The only advantage I can see is that on timber framed buildings, you will get less cracking because the drywall finishes have more give than multifinish etc.

iv worked on sites several times where this has been used. its always looked rubbish. the problem is its aimed to be less labour and less skilled, when in reality it is the complete opposite. you have to have very big long runs. if not your only gonna work a couple of hours a day as there is several drying/prep stages. also, the boarding and jointing have to be perfect. if theyre not it will show. there isnt really much margin for error. it was sold as a quick, dry, no mess solution to plastering but its messy as unless you know what your doing, very dusty instead of wet like plaster, and is only quick with runs. when the agent tells you theres a 40m room that needs doing right now, with skim your in and out in day. with this your in for a day to tape and joint, bead and fill out. then back to sand it and spray a coat. this has to dry and has to be sanded. some systems then require a very tight extra coat which again needs sanding. also your joints do have a habit of showing through as the suction is different. so actually the no low skill material needs someone who can tape to a high standard and trowel to a high standard, aswell as spray neat and tidy and prep and clean properly. apart from that its great

.......and people like that are few and far between.

Hi Guys

This is not my area of expertise..... @Quins or @quinns (can never remember - sh*t team...lol) is the expert here. I'll get him on here for some comment.

If anyone is interested in having a play with Knauf Airless or the other Knauf Readymix products, either contact Quinns (Clive Reeves) - directly through TPF, or calling our office on 01795424499 asking for Clive.

Or call our office and asking for our training administrator for details of some training courses

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they do. Finding somewhere that stocks them on the other hand is a different matter
B&Q? Wether it's knauf or BG they will not guarantee their product on the other companies product and the original product currier posted up are neither (I didn't check).

B&Q? Wether it's knauf or BG they will not guarantee their product on the other companies product and the original product currier posted up are neither (I didn't check).

As far as I know they're the only ones round here. Most places stock lafarge or knauf.

There is a agreement between all the board manufactures that any companies plaster must be usable on their boards.

Now if there is a issue like delamination then the plaster guys will blame the boards and vice versa.

Knauf sell a lot of board and most the time BG is spread over it so BG have to be ok with it otherwise they would be forcing the use of their board as well which the monopoly comission would have some thing to say about.

BG have there SureSpec which obviously means its only their products and some sites buy in to it as if there is issue then only BG can be to blame.

The merchants I use are cheaper for boards than bq @flynnyman

They said they can't come near on bag price but ended up matching them so worth a try

@CurrierPlastering so what your saying is you can use what you want on any type of board but if there is an issue BG will have a get out clause? So in other words they will never spec it so it's upto me as a plasterer to argue it out with st Gobain?

Do you think BG and Knauf will guarantee it on their boards?

Hi all, the SpecSure® guarantee covers all of our products installed as recommended in the WHITE BOOK, using genuine British Gypsum components. Unfortunately it’s not possible for us to guarantee other manufacturers’ products as we have not tested them for performance or quality.

Thanks for the question!

Seen this stuff when I done a mp75 training day, was impressive stuff. They had a guy who couldn't use a trowel applying it, he got the room to a ok finish aswell, id imagine any half decent spread could get this stuff near spot on provided the boarding was perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.