Is plastering worth doing?

Members online

hi I've posted this on fibrous plastering discussions but bought I would put on here to hope that's ok.

I'm new on here and I could do with an experienced answer any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm struggling to decide what to do.

I'm 25 years old and have just completed a 2 year apprenticeship in plastering.

I live in Cumbria and I work under an 81 year old Plasterer who has 60 years experience plastering, 35 years of which are in fibrous plastering.

It's just me and him, he's very good and of course I'm learning a lot and I am interested at times in what I am doing, however I feel like for the trouble we go through it seems as though there are easier jobs to be doing out there.

I'm not all about the money but I wonder sometimes how much money is there in this game?

as I have hardly any experience really in solid plastering and more in fibrous I don't see any companies taking on fibrous plasterers, as there are no one taking on I would be forced to start up on my own, my boss is keen to pass me the business I think and he has a ton of slippers probably close to 500 if not more, he has all the tools, over thirty ceiling rose moulds (hot pour and cold pour) hundreds of enrichment moulds and a rented workshop with all necessities and all the experience in the world, I know this sounds ideal but I wonder if I take it on is it going to be too much pressure/hassle/cost and may possibly fail, and IS THE MONEY ANY GOOD? Money isn't everything but it matters.

I have someone willing to pay for my class 2 licence would it not be better to just do that and sit in a lorry, nice and easy and earn the same money?

It's been doing my head in for a while this decision of taking the business and going for it or giving in and just doing my licence, I know I can earn £4-500 in a wagon in any job, maybe driving is boring yes but I have 3 kids and need good income.

Also my boss is unorganized and dithery it's very hard to do any job with him as he does pointless things sometimes and is very strict, the workshop needs some serious clean up and it's f@#%ing freezing most of the year and I do not look forward to being there.

I haven't spoke to my boss about this as he is old school and he has real passion for the job, he is mostly losing money doing the job as we always encounter problems and he doesn't really handle them well but he keeps going because he loves it and can't give it up, however I am not willing to work for nowt £ no matter how much I love it.

So is it worth starting a cornice/plastering business? And is the work out there? Hope someone can help in some way.

Thanks
(Sorry for the essay)

Last edited by a moderator:
hi I've posted this on fibrous plastering discussions but bought I would put on here to hope that's ok.
I'm new on here and I could do with an experienced answer any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm struggling to decide what to do.
I'm 25 years old and have just completed a 2 year apprenticeship in plastering.
I live in Cumbria and I work under an 81 year old Plasterer who has 60 years experience plastering, 35 years of which are in fibrous plastering.
It's just me and him, he's very good and of course I'm learning a lot and I am interested at times in what I am doing, however I feel like for the trouble we go through it seems as though there are easier jobs to be doing out there.
I'm not all about the money but I wonder sometimes how much money is there in this game? as I have hardly any experience really in solid plastering and more in fibrous I don't see any companies taking on fibrous plasterers, as there are no one taking on I would be forced to start up on my own, my boss is keen to pass me the business I think and he has a ton of slippers probably close to 500 if not more, he has all the tools, over thirty ceiling rose moulds (hot pour and cold pour) hundreds of enrichment moulds and a rented workshop with all necessities and all the experience in the world, I know this sounds ideal but I wonder if I take it on is it going to be too much pressure/hassle/cost and may possibly fail, and IS THE MONEY ANY GOOD? Money isn't everything but it matters.
I have someone willing to pay for my class 2 licence would it not be better to just do that and sit in a lorry, nice and easy and earn the same money?
It's been doing my head in for a while this decision of taking the business and going for it or giving in and just doing my licence, I know I can earn £4-500 in a wagon in any job, maybe driving is boring yes but I have 3 kids and need good income.
Also my boss is unorganized and dithery it's very hard to do any job with him as he does pointless things sometimes and is very strict, the workshop needs some serious clean up and it's f@#%ing freezing most of the year and I do not look forward to being there.
Ihaven't spoke to my boss about this as he is old school and he has real passion for the job, he is mostly losing money doing the job as we always encounter problems and he doesn't really handle them well but he keeps going because he loves it and can't give it up, however I am not willing to work for nowt £ no matter how much I love it.
So is it worth starting a cornice/plastering business? And is the work out there? Hope someone can help in some way.
Thanks
(Sorry for the essay)
Does he pay you a wage?
Alot of lads would be delighted to work with someone that had so much experience but if hes that old now and didery it would be hard to stick
Maybe do a few days with another gang to see how you get on with them

I know nothing about fibrous plastering, but if your boss willing to pass the business onto you, which is established circa 50 years ago, I'm sure he's got some clients on the books, so you'd be silly to refuse to take the business over.
I have no idea how much he pays you, by the sound of it not much, and he also sounds set in his own ways.
Just have a look on eBay how much some charges for fancy cornices, last I looked it was 30-35 quid a metre supplied and fitted. You knock out 20 meters you earn more in a day then on a blasted lorry in a week.
Have a chat with him, doubt he'll prepared to train anyone else up at his age.
Also if you can, fire up some pics up here for us so we can see something different other than skimming.
All in all I'd say stick at it, good luck

I'd drive the lorry. Plastering is s**t. Money every week nice and warm. I'd work out tho so u don't become a fat b*****d. If u not one already.

Whichever way you jump, you might wish you hadn't.
The business might be sound and could give you a very good living if you get the right customer base. It could be your vocation, who knows?

Anyone, anytime can get training to drive a lorry/bus/digger.

So far, in my lifetime, you are the only person I have heard of that has had a bushel of training, and then been offered the business as a going concern.

Better to have tried and failed, than not to have tried at all........imo

Whichever way you jump, you might wish you hadn't.
The business might be sound and could give you a very good living if you get the right customer base. It could be your vocation, who knows?

Anyone, anytime can get training to drive a lorry/bus/digger.

So far, in my lifetime, you are the only person I have heard of that has had a bushel of training, and then been offered the business as a going concern.

Better to have tried and failed, than not to have tried at all........imo
Para phrasing shakespeare(y)

Why would the old fella pass everything on to the apprentice? He could sell it all for his own family.

Does he pay you a wage?
Alot of lads would be delighted to work with someone that had so much experience but if hes that old now and didery it would be hard to stick
Maybe do a few days with another gang to see how you get on with them

Yeah he's paid me apprentice wage for 2 years and that was a struggle I'm on minimum wage now and god knows when next raise will be as he is tight with money,also I don't know anyone else in Cumbria that do fibrous that would take me on

Why would the old fella pass everything on to the apprentice? He could sell it all for his own family.

He has 1 son 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters and there all fully grown and working and are not interested in this line of work, he's tight with money but he's more concerned about passing the business on for someone to build up for the future not getting money for himself, he wouldn't sell it to just anyone he has to know they are good and are trustworthy i.e someone he has trained for years.

He's 81 f**k me. I could not work with that to be honest. Has he any plans to die soon. Or just keep working

Last edited:
He has 1 son 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters and there all fully grown and working and are not interested in this line of work, he's tight with money but he's more concerned about passing the business on for someone to build up for the future not getting money for himself, he wouldn't sell it to just anyone he has to know they are good and are trustworthy i.e someone he has trained for years.
Stick it out and see how u get on with it.

I know nothing about fibrous plastering, but if your boss willing to pass the business onto you, which is established circa 50 years ago, I'm sure he's got some clients on the books, so you'd be silly to refuse to take the business over.
I have no idea how much he pays you, by the sound of it not much, and he also sounds set in his own ways.
Just have a look on eBay how much some charges for fancy cornices, last I looked it was 30-35 quid a metre supplied and fitted. You knock out 20 meters you earn more in a day then on a blasted lorry in a week.
Have a chat with him, doubt he'll prepared to train anyone else up at his age.
Also if you can, fire up some pics up here for us so we can see something different other than skimming.
All in all I'd say stick at it, good luck

Thanks for reply, yeah he doesn't part with his money easy lol and is firmly stuck in his ways I suppose a chat wouldn't hurt, he has mentioned getting another apprentice to train under me think he wants to keep going till 85, I will put some pics up

Well if he wants to pass it on to you that's great, maybe the idea of it all is a bit daunting at the moment but long term it might be more rewarding than the hgv job but more stressful.

I get worried about working with 50 year olds that they might keel over but 81 the bloke must be fit as fu ck

@Danny u could do an interview with this bloke for plasterers news. Has to be better than some of the other s**t u put on there like women plasterers :whistle:

hi mcbride 666
a excellent introduction
why not give it go, what have got to lose, however if you don't give it a go you might regret it for the rest of your plastering years - learn from the vast experience on offer, and put it into practice - what every you decide good luck for the future (y)

Just start putting stuff on the floor and he might trip over it and it's all yours. Just saying like (y)

hi mcbride 666
a excellent introduction
why not give it go, what have got to lose, however if you don't give it a go you might regret it for the rest of your plastering years - learn from the vast experience on offer, and put it into practice - what every you decide good luck for the future (y)

Thanks for the response yes I would say I would regret it if I took to driving instead I will just have to take a leap of faith and keep grinding for now but I don't know.... thanks mate