Is it worth going alone?

Lee10

Looking for input, been plastering for 5 years, currently get 110 a day n van from employer, would I be much better off alone? Get private work but not enough to cover weeks. Only thing stopping me is not getting work and the fear of the unknown

Thinking the same atm, well possibly me and another bloke goin halfers, though neither of us just as the cahones to take the plunge just yet. Gathering up our bits n pieces we need slowly but surely, see where we go from there.

Would you advertise to begin with Simon?
Depends on your market. Of you're looking into the domestic side, I would say you would have to. I would be more looking into the site side tbh, so I'd say going down the route of subbing would be what I would do unless I could get in direct to company's. As zolco says maybe better to keep existing job, maybe throw an ad on gumtree or the like and just tear on doing your own work weekends and evenings, until you have enough of it that you can do it full time?

Mybuilder.com is your friend if you are wanting to do domestic, get a good amount of work with no contacts.

Is it money why your leaving, I take it your working for someone? Be careful how you do it, you don't want to burn bridges.
Very good point, any time I have left anyone, I have tried to do so as amicably as possible, you might need them again some time to pull you out a hole. Least you know if it goes tits up, they wouldn't see you stuck. Whereas if you just leave them in the lurch, or fall out with them, they probably won't give too much of a f**k if you end up slack and need a few days/weeks etc

before either of you leave regular employment make sure you have got some money behind you. it will be slow at first as you both have to learn new skills in running a business. it will take time to meet new contacts.

Personally I'm thinking of going down the site root. Know a few that could possibly sub work out, but would depend on the rates as to whether or not it be worthwhile. Not overly sure the processes of getting in direct to firms?can anyone ring them up and price or what the etiquette is there etc. Saying that there is a site we had been on, current boss pulling out it, but I reckon could get in direct there if wanted, though it's a ball ache of a Site. High ceilings and bonding ceilings and stud walls, heavy frames so walls near need coated twice floating etc.

Personally I'm thinking of going down the site root. Know a few that could possibly sub work out, but would depend on the rates as to whether or not it be worthwhile. Not overly sure the processes of getting in direct to firms?can anyone ring them up and price or what the etiquette is there etc. Saying that there is a site we had been on, current boss pulling out it, but I reckon could get in direct there if wanted, though it's a ball ache of a Site. High ceilings and bonding ceilings and stud walls, heavy frames so walls near need coated twice floating etc.

to be a contractor you need to build up your business. it is harder now then ever before. health and safety, programs, collecting money, you also need a lot of luck.
years ago we were offered a site of about 600 properties, tiny little things ,no meterage, angles everywhere. we said no thanks. one of our friends took the site, the firm a major north London developer, paid out every day. he done all their estates turning over a huge amount per week.

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

i have a general question im a wall and floor tiler and im having a drama on a job need some input and advice

I love working for myself. But flexibility etc isn't something you gain from it. I'm out the door by half six and often home by 8pm sometimes later. We work weekends on a regular basis. But the plus side is there is a great pleasure in growing your own business. We've had times where the phone hasn't rang or we're incredibly tired. sometimes it's stressful and spills into your home life. but then we have times where we get some lovely work. we hold our little pub business meetings and get super excited with lots of different ideas. And we have proper belly laughs all day.

give and take

Well I'll tell yer straight...

110 a day every day 5 days a week plus entilements and the cost and up keep of a van etc is worth a hell of a lot if money in my eyes!

Of course it depends upon where you are based but in south Yorkshire that would be like winning the lottery!

I've worked for myself for 15yrs and its bloody hard work mate!

Trust me the grass is far from greener!

110 a day every day 5 days a week plus entilements and the cost and up keep of a van etc is worth a hell of a lot if money in my eyes!

Of course it depends upon where you are based but in south Yorkshire that would be like winning the lottery!

Amen to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sat here waiting on water since 8.
left early yesterday cause of no water ......ah what a crock of shiite !!

Meanwhile :descansando:
IMG_6054.JPG
It's turned out nice again :)

You need to work pair up with another plasterer, someone who you get along with and has the same goals as you. Combine your contacts. You also work better you bounce of each other become efficient.

You need to be in a position where your asking your boss for days off to do your own work, working weekends and out of hours to go by yourself.

Over 3 years I went from doing my own my stuff on evenings, to evenings and weekends, to a couple of days off here and there then to weeks off.

Once your in a position where you cant keep your boss happy and your own clients happy at the same time you need to make the choice wether to stay on for someone or go ot alone.

I went by myself September last year and touch wood been keeping pretty busy since, January was a little quiet but I prepared for that so couldn't moan.

What I will say is is get a couple of grand behind you for unexpected costs / late payers etc. I'm owned a sizeable amount off a couple of jobs and I payed out quite a lot on materials so if I never had a little put back id be in trouble.

Also it'll suprise you how many people want to use you once they realise your available.

Am a little disturbed this morning :sorprendido3:
Woke up after dreaming I was taking scenery pics and uploading on this forum .:foto:
Appeared to be Mediterranean coastline with 3 durdle door type rock formations.