Is it feasible to skim an entire room as a newb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imanc

Hey,

I've just moved into a run down victorian house and I'm doing a ruck of work - electrics, plumbing, I'm assisting with a central heating install (rads, pipework etc.), various carpentry tasks, flooring installation, decorating and gardening.

But when it comes to plastering, which the entire house requires, the general consensus seems to be "if you haven't been doing it for 3+ years on a daily basis, it's going to look like a rats arse"

Then I see 3 day courses, online courses such as masteringplastering.com and also "alternative methods" such as using easifill, a caulking board and judicious use of sanding.

I'm wondering if it is possible to do some of the plastering myself, or whether that's a pipe dream? Can it be done?

imanc

Depends on your skill set,your patience, your determination, your ability to learn and what you accept as a good job, they say what one man can do another can... But what if that one man was useless ..

you wont know till you give it a go...........welcome to the forum by the way

It seems as though this house has become a labour of love for you and you're doing as many tasks as possible to save money. Quality of finish and speed are what define a good plasterer. I knew a guy who insisted on doing most of the tasks himself, and as a consequence was living in part finished rooms for years. Do yourself a favour and pay someone to do the important rooms to allow you to have a few rooms that you can call home. On minors rooms, you can do these at your leisure and with practice, you'll be able to achieve a decent finish. However, you'll need to accept that your work may never be comparable to a good spread. If you can understand that, you may be able to accept your own shortcomings as an acceptable standard.

It seems as though this house has become a labour of love for you and you're doing as many tasks as possible to save money. Quality of finish and speed are what define a good plasterer. I knew a guy who insisted on doing most of the tasks himself, and as a consequence was living in part finished rooms for years. Do yourself a favour and pay someone to do the important rooms to allow you to have a few rooms that you can call home. On minors rooms, you can do these at your leisure and with practice, you'll be able to achieve a decent finish. However, you'll need to accept that your work may never be comparable to a good spread. If you can understand that, you may be able to accept your own shortcomings as an acceptable standard.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think you're right - I enjoy the DIY aspects but certainly would not be happy with this project dragging on for more than a few months. So I'm going to enlist the pros to do the livingroom, dining room and hall way, and I'll attempt the smallest bedroom. If it looks rubbish, then I'll hire them to do the remaining work.

If time is on your side and you dont have a tight schedule then have a go yourself. Good luck Imanc, welcome along. Always plenty of advice to be found on here.

pipe dream maybe try another brand of tabaco in your pipe dream could be the answer:RpS_thumbsup:
Hey,

I've just moved into a run down victorian house and I'm doing a ruck of work - electrics, plumbing, I'm assisting with a central heating install (rads, pipework etc.), various carpentry tasks, flooring installation, decorating and gardening.

But when it comes to plastering, which the entire house requires, the general consensus seems to be "if you haven't been doing it for 3+ years on a daily basis, it's going to look like a rats arse"

Then I see 3 day courses, online courses such as masteringplastering.com and also "alternative methods" such as using easifill, a caulking board and judicious use of sanding.

I'm wondering if it is possible to do some of the plastering myself, or whether that's a pipe dream? Can it be done?

imanc

Instead of paying to do a course why not employ a plasterer to do a couple of the important rooms on the basis that he lets you assist/shadow him to see how its done, just expect to pay that little bit extra as it will take a little longer if he /she is having to show you the ins and outs of the process.Wn Win for all involved
Welcome by the way

whatever you do dont get a price before you give it ago cos if you do then you knack it up there will be one thing for sure, the price will go up if you ask him to come and sort your mess out

Status
Not open for further replies.