Internal Render thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

how thick can you apply sand and cement (with added fibers) to old brickwork in one day?

chirs w once told me a way to apply 3 coats to make up the old thickness on a domestic job.
if i was down to me id end up doing it at 3 diffrent attempts going away and coming bk a few days later ect would take ages for just one wall!

but iv been doin the odd wall the way he said witch was to wet up bricks say on first coat thick as you can get away with, have a few cups of tea and read the paper then apply another coat , then eat lunch read paper again coming back to page 3 several times then go sit in the van let the lab pick all the crap up come back and then apply 3rd coat, just using the suction of the old brickwork to help get the build in 1 day. on the old houses sometimes you have to make up 2"-3"!!

how would you do it?

Throw a few hand fulls of bonding in the mix it'll set as quick shlt.

No doubt someone will come along and say you should'nt do that, but they dont really know.

thick as you can without it falling down the walls and try and rule it off a bit ........dont put waterproofer in the first coats itll help you when youre floating

lol i did get my sand and cement in my harwall to day well i used the same trowel and hark and it made all the hardwall shoot off soo quick!

ah iv allways added waterproofer in first coat them used feb in other 2.

i gota say im getting better with the backing out, but i only ever do hard domestic stuff never straight forward walls.. always have old house thick walls uneven with sash windows in out of level and skirting running everywere so allways have to free hand to what looks good.

saying that i dont fink im anywere close to doing out side render as at least i can skim over what i do atm...

oasis said:
lol i did get my sand and cement in my harwall to day well i used the same trowel and hark and it made all the hardwall shoot off soo quick!

One of the lads who work for that megga money kitchen firm I work for phoned me to patch a hole at his house 50 mm square!!!

yes 2f*'kin inches, I cant tell him to f*ck off so I will be doing it with wash bucket water and 50/50 skim cement :)

driers?? and them quoins look very very hard to do.. one slip up and ur stuffed???

i seen a front of a house that is ALL in that style..must ahve been done with timber?

nelly said:
oasis said:

i once did a door handle hole! on plasterboard. io charged £50 mind you i did it the long way! years ago i put a ball of skrim in it then appleyd scrim over it then pushed joint compund filler into it, came back and rubbed it and toped again then poped back and rubed it bk again!! i was 2 lazy to mixed up skim! sometimes you learn the hard way

oasis said:
driers?? and them quoins look very very hard to do.. one slip up and ur stuffed???

i seen a front of a house that is ALL in that style..must ahve been done with timber?

its not that hard mate, driers.... a dry mix of sand and cement, put you first coat on then throw a dry mix at it (like pebble dashing) then second coat and more dry mix and so on, the most i have built out in one day is about 7 inches mate... dont be shy with the driers, keep throwing on untill it dont turn a damp colour for about a minute ;)

what does a dryer do??? and will it not make it sag.. u meen a dry mix as in 4-1 with no water?

nightmare innit... but some of the old damp jobs we used to do were something like 10mm down to 60mm at the bottom or big bows in the wall....
whatever, if you gotta do it in a day you gotta do it in a day..... the alternative just doesnt bear the cost of repeated visits and if it cracks it cracks.... nothing a bit of easyfill wont fix... ;)
remember that render / plaster dries from the back though... you want the wall to pull the stuff in, not the other way round... thats why if you play around with it too much once its on the wall it starts sagging and the next thing its on the floor - youve just moved all the water to the surface and the bricks just havent got hold of it...
get it on, rule it off and leave it alone for a good bit...
dunno how these one coat renders fair up for thickness though... could be a better option these days?

you are right in what you are saying, and like i said i have only ever done this on quoins and never had to do a wall like this, although this is not the best way i think that it will work, it wont necessarily stop the moisture going into the brick, it will just go both ways.

or he could use rapid set cement

Kirk r u goin to do a guide on external render with mesh, looking forward 2 it m8 :)

ps dont know what the flash is so i put one in just 2 c

yeh, rapid set (quickcem) or some frostproofer/accelerator will do the trick.... used that to base out the corners on a swimming pool last year...
you gotta be a bit quick like.... be off in the barrow if your not careful... :eek:

to be honest mate i have never used mesh, the only thing close to it i have used is metal lath, and i dont know much about modern renders mate and only s&c and lime, although there are loads of guys on here that will be able to help you mate ;)

ive used eml, but seen an old shop in wigan and plasterers had drilled and rawplugged what looked to be sheets of 8x4 crinkled mesh tight to old patchy brickwork, old blown york stone and old solid render, seemed to be rawplugged every square foot or so, next day the whole job was finished, i didnt see how they went about it, evan had expansion joints ion it, smashing job they obvisly knew there stuff, but still i would be interested how other guys do external? :)

If you had more than a wall, say a room or 2 would u scratch the old brickwork and top off another day?

good night mate ;)

they just use rib lath when fixing straight onto a solid wall (not battened) because the render needs to grip the back of the lath, so the ribs cause a void for that to happen, thats all mate ;)

yes mate, i do this even if its one wall and i try to leave it as long as i can to dry out and shrink, but i know sometimes the job must go on ;)

oasis said:
If you had more than a wall, say a room or 2 would u scratch the old brickwork and top off another day?
i would mate if you go too heavy too soon the lot can come off and youre back to square one

Status
Not open for further replies.