Insulated Board: Dot n Dab-able?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Using 8x4 with 1in of insulation on the back for ceilings so they are mechanically fixed.

My question: can you dot & dab them? The BG book said "yes" and looking at the insulation, it's polystyrene given a outer surface of brown paper and the paper looks similar to what covers plasterboards.

But what makes me ask it is we had a few offcuts from these boards put outside under a shelter. If they get cold and maybe damp, it seems that foam de-laminates pretty easily ... Example, a strip stood upright leaning against a wall, naturally the plasterboard bends and as it does so the foam starts to de-laminate.

A big area like an 8x4, etc, might be fine but the smaller bits? Anyone ever had the insulation de-laminate easily? Anyone any thoughts?

Used it a few times, never delaminated, but I much prefer to batten a wall out,insulate between and screw the board.

There are a few reason's why you should not use old boards of any description one is you can suffer from the plaster delamination problem...... To answer your question yes they easily get affected by damp and the foam will delaminate having said that some batches are worse than others...... Having said this I would think they are usable but it's hard to tell over the Internet..... If in doubt either buy new boards or do as said and put some secondary fixings in through the boards into the dots but if it were me it would be new boards hth

Anyone had insulated boards where they've stuck the insulation on the white side instead of the back?
Got a load from Keyline once and I reckon the lads in the yard must have done it themselves with spray contact adhesive.. :rolleyes)

that message was for the thread not for you rhys , no never seen the insulation stuck on the white side, that one was meant for you @Rhys :RpS_laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember we needed a load for a job and they (Keyline) said they only had a few in stock but could get us some... Bunch of tośśers in there. Don't use them anymore.

Hi
Using 8x4 with 1in of insulation on the back for ceilings so they are mechanically fixed.

My question: can you dot & dab them? The BG book said "yes" and looking at the insulation, it's polystyrene given a outer surface of brown paper and the paper looks similar to what covers plasterboards.

But what makes me ask it is we had a few offcuts from these boards put outside under a shelter. If they get cold and maybe damp, it seems that foam de-laminates pretty easily ... Example, a strip stood upright leaning against a wall, naturally the plasterboard bends and as it does so the foam starts to de-laminate.

A big area like an 8x4, etc, might be fine but the smaller bits? Anyone ever had the insulation de-laminate easily? Anyone any thoughts?
Yes mate you can Dab em no problem,but for added peace of mind(and it's the righteous way to do it) stick some hammer fixings in after its gone off and not through the dots either,just do a five pattern like on a dice .

Only just noticed this is from 2014 duh....

Don't worry, I'm still alive and willing to learn. :)

My concern back then was how easily the foam appeared to delaminate off the board in cold or dampish conditions and, I suppose, was asking has anyone ever had them delaminate once fixed?

Thanks all

Always bang a few fixings in , have never heard of a problem because you put to many mushrooms in. The insulation can and does lose purchase to the slab.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.