Installing new staircase on brick before plastering

Members online

newstairs

Hi all. This isn't really DIY but I would like some advice from the pros.

We have a staircase currently installed on bare brickwork inside the house. We want this brick plastered over so it'll eventually have to be dot and dabbed.

At the moment there's a staircase installed up against it which we're replacing, but this will have to be done before the plastering.

3eiufhewufbh.jpeg

Basically, I need to tell the joiner building the staircase how far off the wall he needs to install the stairs, so once the wall is plastered, the left string looks like it's attached flush to the newly plastered wall without any gaps.

He mentioned 3cm. Is that about right or could it do with being more/less? Also can anyone see any issues with this plan overall? The stairs are coming well before any plasterer does so I can't ask anyone specifically, and I'm just hoping all plasterers would want this set up in more or less the same way.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this.

We have a staircase currently installed on bare brickwork inside the house. We want this brick plastered over so it'll eventually have to be dot and dabbed.

At the moment there's a staircase installed up against it which we're replacing, but this will have to be done before the plastering.

View attachment 66628

Basically, I need to tell the joiner building the staircase how far off the wall he needs to install the stairs, so once the wall is plastered, the left string looks like it's attached flush to the newly plastered wall without any gaps.

He mentioned 3cm. Is that about right or could it do with being more/less? Also can anyone see any issues with this plan overall? The stairs are coming well before any plasterer does so I can't ask anyone specifically, and I'm just hoping all plasterers would want this set up in more or less the same way.

Float and set it

View attachment 66628

Your joiner knows shite.
The face of a D&D + skimmed wall should be 24.5mm from the substrate. But of course this may vary depending on how true the substrate is.

Thanks for the responses lads.

For those who say float and set/skim, what's the reasons? We did have a plasterer out months ago who quoted to do that wall (before we had the idea of replacing the stairs) and he seemed to go straight to the idea of dot and dab (hence me saying it).

Also, even if we do float and skim, should we still pack the staircase just a little off the wall? The string would have to be overlapped by the plaster a little bit, but we'd prefer it not to be buried 10mm+ into the plaster when it's done.

Get said joiner to batten wall and plaster board it after fitting stairs to suit/match his choices as it will be something that needs to be bespoke to be right

Why you replacing the stairs.

They don't look great. The treads are alright (just stained in a not great colour) but the balustrades look cheap. Going for oak and glass instead. Plus we're plastering that wall so to avoid the existing string being embedded in plaster we'd have to significantly modify the existing staircase anyway. More trouble than it's worth.

View attachment 66628

get it plastered then call the joiner

• Agree
Reactions: 000
get it plastered then call the joiner
Agree with that Norm but to be fair , just remove the weak link in the chain ,,,,, management , by someone who knows neither trade but chooses to set the order and timescale between both , simple solution , spread and joiner communicate with each other , world's fking upside down

Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill.pack the c**t out 10mm like said,or maybe abit more as I bet your top half of wall is leaning forward like there always are then just dot onto string

Just whatever you do,don't get any1 in by the name of @ritchyou might know him as twiggy as he's as thin as a twiglet and looks like a smack head is another bit of advice I can give

Wot part of the country do u live . I could do with a staircase. Keep thinking about doing the loft.

Agree with that Norm but to be fair , just remove the weak link in the chain ,,,,, management , by someone who knows neither trade but chooses to set the order and timescale between both , simple solution , spread and joiner communicate with each other , world's fking upside down

That sounds great in theory, but with all the trade demand due to lockdowns, SDLT holiday and whatever else, every trade is booked out for months ahead, and half don't even reply back when the job is slightly more challenging than usual as they have a long queue of easier jobs lined up to take its place.

I would much prefer to deal with none of this crap and pass it onto someone else to manage, but there you go.

Thanks for the responses lads.

For those who say float and set/skim, what's the reasons? We did have a plasterer out months ago who quoted to do that wall (before we had the idea of replacing the stairs) and he seemed to go straight to the idea of dot and dab (hence me saying it).

Also, even if we do float and skim, should we still pack the staircase just a little off the wall? The string would have to be overlapped by the plaster a little bit, but we'd prefer it not to be buried 10mm+ into the plaster when it's done.
Your plasterer may not know how to float and set a wall, a lot of so called plasterers only know how to scim and so will dot and dab.
A solid wall is much better (in my opinion) your chippy can fix it to the wall hopefully not having to pack it out if he does this can be easily sorted with the float coat

Your plasterer may not know how to float and set a wall, a lot of so called plasterers only know how to scim and so will dot and dab.
A solid wall is much better (in my opinion) your chippy can fix it to the wall hopefully not having to pack it out if he does this can be easily sorted with the float coat
sorry mouldy but the old school boys are are lost in time the new age spreads have very limited knowlage of our trade SO SAD realy