Installing a new DPC

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anyone comment when you have to inspect and find out the construction of a property before you even can say if its a dpc problem.

I have done most of my work on stone houses and there is rising damp problems in them, due to construction.

But injecting them is hit and miss purely to instalation.

Brick will be the same if no DPM is built into the construction.

Basically its just hygroscopic movement of ground water that causes the problem due to porous mortar usually containing lime.

Personally i prefer tanking as its a barrier nothing can get through, Creams and fluids are not reliable enough.

And yes i have know certain companies send out materials for claims.

The insurance backed bit of paper is an expensive bit of paper lol, if you know your stuff you should give out you own guarantee and save the customer from being ripped off.

I would guarantee any of my jobs for 20 years for free as i know they will be done right, meaning problem cured.

How can anyone comment when you have to inspect and find out the construction of a property before you even can say if its a dpc problem.

I have done most of my work on stone houses and there is rising damp problems in them, due to construction.

But injecting them is hit and miss purely to instalation.

Brick will be the same if no DPM is built into the construction.

Basically its just hygroscopic movement of ground water that causes the problem due to porous mortar usually containing lime.

Personally i prefer tanking as its a barrier nothing can get through, Creams and fluids are not reliable enough.

And yes i have know certain companies send out materials for claims.

The insurance backed bit of paper is an expensive bit of paper lol, if you know your stuff you should give out you own guarantee and save the customer from being ripped off.

I would guarantee any of my jobs for 20 years for free as i know they will be done right, meaning problem cured.

Tanking is not a cure for rising damp, its a mere cover up.

So whats the re-rendering that has to be done after a DPC is installed before a guarantee is issued ?

The wall has to be rendered anyway so why not tank it ?

The reason people use fluids and creams is they can do the job in one day and push the rendering onto a plasterer to finish the job.

Then when there is a claim the company turn around and say "we didnt replaster it so we cannot cover the job"

Trust me i have been in the game long enough to know all the tricks the cowboys do.

You got to remmember the footings of a house are under constant attack from moisture its called ground water.

Only time it reduces is in the summer.

Well if i was you i would stick to the chemical companies specification on the product.

Using lime render is not the right way to go because of there might be salts present and you need to use a salt resistant render to cure the problem.

Lime might be ok on a old listed building but i am more of a fan of modern techniques to cure problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.