Imprefections on newly plastered wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all well and good getting the guy back to do it again, but if he didn't do a good job first time do you really expect it to be right if he "trys" again?

Artex it.............:RpS_thumbup:.is the OP from down Kent way by any chance............:RpS_unsure:

I have just had a garden room built and got it plastered. In day light the room looks great but at night when the lights are on you can see imperfections in the finish. The lights are downlights and are right next to the wall (10cm from the edge of the ceiling). Is it unreasonable to expect the wall to look perfect with these light conditions ?

Cheers

S

As said, wall lights are apt to show up any imperfections in a wall. Here we have a similar scenario, with spotlights on the ceiling being fitted very close to the wall, which will also highlight anything other than a faultless wall. If there was a cable through the ceiling close to the wall then that alone should have alerted the plasterer to the possibility of bright lights being cast across his wall. An experienced plasterer will spot these potential pitfalls and hang a lamp from the cable to eliminate the chances of shadows being cast.
In this instance it does look like the first coat has started going off before he's managed to control the set, but from the pictures shown we don't know for sure how bumpy the surface is and you do say yourself that it looks good in natural daylight. You do need to apply a lick of paint first to gain a proper assessment of the quality of the finish and then decide on what course of action to pursue.
Did you make the plasterer aware of the presence of these down-lights?
Was the wiring pushed through after the plasterer had completed their work?

If he had painted it in silk emulsion it would defo look dodgy..............:RpS_thumbdn:

Give the wall a mist coat (add 20% water) of good quality white matt emulsion there may be the odd dig or trowel mark if there is fill the digs with polyfiller. When dry sand flat any filled bits and any trowel marks with 180 sandpaper. Give the wall another coat of coloured matt emulsion. Wall should be 98% perfect. This should be done with a very strong light shinning down the wall and take 10 minutes to fill and 10 to sand. You will know if the work is up to a reasonable standard when you mist coat it.

I decorate quite a lot of my own plastering and other people's too.i would mist coat50/50 with any white emulsion.too strong a mix will weaken the bond of subsequent coats as it will dry too quickly.then give one proper coat of your chosen colour.this will show up any imperfections.then fill,rub down with 120 grit paper.then touch in with the roller if poss(brush marks will stand out)when it's dry coat the lot with a 2nd proper coat.there shouldn't be dig marks or trowel marks really,but nobody's perfect.

if it was me I'd sand the areas that look the worst before doing mist-coating, then if it still looks shite follow previous advice on filling and sanding

If I had done that I would hang up my tools. You need to let him see it and give him the chance to sort it out if not ask for your money back.

I always plaster with Hallogens on, that way its rare you miss any imperfections.On the decorating front i always waterdown all mt paint, even the fianal coat, you get no texture marjs then.No point having a smooth wall and having slighttexture in ya paint.

My opinion is that it doesn't look uniform enough for it to be a proper plasters job ( trowel seems to have goneinevery direction poss) but I have to agree with others you can snag it till you get a oat of paint on it especially if you are not in the trade. This may be a pain in the arris if you are getting the painters I but it is the only fair way really.

He hasn't flattened his first coat in and it looks like you can feel that ridge on the first pic!!!!! Shut your eyes and try it. If you can feel it you will def be able to see it when painted.
Get him back, put some sandpaper in his hand, shouldn't take more than half an hour! Ha

It's all well and good getting the guy back to do it again, but if he didn't do a good job first time do you really expect it to be right if he "trys" again?

I agree m8 if he was capable of doing a good job why did'nt he do it first time round. We all have issues from time to time but that looks wank. There are "plasterers" and there are plasterers

looks well wild,if the downlighters where not in position at time that would not have helped but
he should have lighting with him.poor quality

thats proper rough and really uneven what did the plasterer use to put it on with? a football boot?

id get the cu:-o to come back and redo it as u payed them to do a flat wall and just paint it not make a portrait on the sea the having to go out get loads of sand paper sheeting back up pffft boll<ks phone them up

plaster2.jpg
[/IMG]

There's some strange pattern to that. I can just about make out a cross trowel at the end but it must have been put on and flattened very erratically.

You sure he wasn't epileptic?

Simon run your hands over the waves, if you can feel them then you will be able to see them when painted. Sometimes plaster drying looks like it has lines in it but these cant be felt and won't be seen when painted. Looking at your photo i would say there is a high probability that you will see them with the lighting you have in place.

I have just had a garden room built and got it plastered. In day light the room looks great but at night when the lights are on you can see imperfections in the finish. The lights are downlights and are right next to the wall (10cm from the edge of the ceiling). Is it unreasonable to expect the wall to look perfect with these light conditions ?

Cheers

S
The first coat looks like its not been flattened in.How much were you charged and was it over plasterboard or float and set?

I was wondering as it was a new garden room,did the plasterer board it then skim,rough it or hardwall maybe?
I only have a view from an ipad so pics are hard for me to see clearly.only way really to tell is to see it with your own eyes,im not saying it isnt rough just hard to see on a picture
Im sure most of you guys have plastered walls that dry up with funny lines but you know its as smooth as
I do hope for the customer once painted that the imperfections are not there and has just dried up looking worse than it is

He shouldnt need to flat his first coat if he was any good, if he cant put it on flat means he aint going to end up with a nice flat wall.

Run a stanley blade down the middle call him back tell him its cracked and when hes there say what the fook fatboy, sort this shiz outtttt.

Status
Not open for further replies.