If we could improve plastering what would you like to see.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post wigan, so why don't the site lads get together to form a federation that sticks to these prices? Consultation with QS's and H&S would give an indication of an acceptable metre rate per hour (it's been 20 years since I worked on site, apart from small private ones, so if I'm miles off here shoot me down:-0)
Pug's a bit of a revolutionary - he can be the President:) Thinking about it, I used to get a mag off a Plasterers Federation, are they still on the go?

Not all people will join said federation and they will take all the work as to many price is king

i think a minimum set m2 price for site shud be set. coz many of the rates atm if u work 8 hrs like every1 else and had ur lunch break and take out just basic expences it wud be les than nmw. Personaly i think min £3m2 is a gud rate on site. and min £6 for float and set. or am i being greedy. wev have had alot more at times but also had alot less. I also think it wud improve standards on site not got aload of crazy plasters runing round chasing enuf money just to keep there heads above water

100% agree with this, can earn good wedge on £3 a m2.....I wish it was set in stone.....£3.50 is a nice rate if big runs.....

every one is taking a slice of the cake before the spread gets his rate fecking greed or is it just business you tell me.

i wudnt know wher to start on this but i dnt think its the main plastering conttactors its not in there best longterm intrest to pay rock bottom prices (pay peanuts u get monkeys) they are being forced to by corporate greed. masive companies having the monoply. Job centre and other job sites advertise jobs as price possible to make national minimum wage. wtf. Y is that acceptable what the point in learning a trade for 4 years earning £100 aweek so that at the end of it all u can earn mw. Why not just fck off 4 years of formalities and go straight to tescos from school. u can acheive more than mw 4 years earlier

You have to ask the question if you are just skimming how long does it take to learn ?, if your with a decent pair of spreads it will not be long they will bring you up to there standard, speed comes with time.If your talking about the full range of plastering I think you need a few years at least so much to take on board and
skill level. Site lads are like piranha fish strip it to the bone onto the next meal what ever the price .They think there that fast they can make it pay.

I bet your busy though... £20 a day

Rendersystems: you commented on the pics that i posted of work Id done at home and said it looked ok - Also Ive never claimed to be doing this full time. I design and install wired and wireless corporate networks... so yes I am busy and my time is worth a little more than £20 a day, but thanks for your comment.

Wiganlad: I didnt say anything about being able to learn it all in a week? re-read my post, I simply meant that not all "coursers" go on to call themselves "plasterers", undercut the trade and turn out shite work.. I learnt the basics so I could do it at home for myself.

Last edited:
You have to ask the question if you are just skimming how long does it take to learn ?, if your with a decent pair of spreads it will not be long they will bring you up to there standard, speed comes with time.If your talking about the full range of plastering I think you need a few years at least so much to take on board and
skill level. Site lads are like piranha fish strip it to the bone onto the next meal what ever the price .They think there that fast they can make it pay.

Spot on Henry - I spent a week learning a bit of rendering, a bit of hardwalling, and the rest skimming... and for what i want at home, and the odd mate that might want a ceiling skimmed, its enough to get by.

So much hostility from people assuming that anyone that does a course also then claims to be the dogs b*ll***s and knows it all

Im a chippy by trade and I could show someone how to first fix joists and a roof in 1 week. Within 4 weeks you might be just as quick as the other chippies - but that dont make you a chippy does it - and i doubt that you would claim to be either.... so whats different for me and other guys coming on this forum as coursers only to get shot down in flames everytime they say something??

Last edited:
exactly the response people where looking for. called banter and u took the bait. ha. I cant protest to anything ATM coz i aint working. so u got me beat

Ahh, so noobs and coursers ALL getting labled as being chancers, fking up the trade, undercutting the pros, driving down prices and turning out shite work is banter.. more fool me for biting then.. I should have known really but as its a common theme in a lot of threads about the state of the trade etc I didnt see the hidden bait.

Theres a thread in the "Place to meet n say hello" forum called New Members where post #4 reads

"BUt still none the less everybody needs to be nice and make them feel welcome!
Chancer, courser, full time spread, diy'er they all need to be respected (to a point ;-))"

PS - Im generalising here wiganlad, this is in no way aimed at you or any one person in particular.. its just an observation and as a courser I am fighting my corner, losing battle i know ;-)

bloke over road from me a courser and he skimmed all is house he works for british gas. and i must say its very tidy skimmig. took him forever though but he got there. and on the flip side ive worked with spreads 20 years my snr with 30 yrs in the trade and i wdnt pay them in counterfit yen.

Ahh, so noobs and coursers ALL getting labled as being chancers, fking up the trade, undercutting the pros, driving down prices and turning out shite work is banter.. more fool me for biting then.. I should have known really but as its a common theme in a lot of threads about the state of the trade etc I didnt see the hidden bait.

Theres a thread in the "Place to meet n say hello" forum called New Members where post #4 reads

"BUt still none the less everybody needs to be nice and make them feel welcome!
Chancer, courser, full time spread, diy'er they all need to be respected (to a point ;-))"

PS - Im generalising here wiganlad, this is in no way aimed at you or any one person in particular.. its just an observation and as a courser I am fighting my corner, losing battle i know ;-)

You will always have people with the attitude of 'If you can't do what I can do you are just a chancer, a courser, a DIY-er, a cowboy or whatever, how dare you come onto MY forum asking questions'
That's just how it is :-0 and here's why, in my opinion.............

It's very annoying for people - myself included - who are full-time or Self Employed Plasterers and are losing work (their livelihoods) to people who have done a weeks course instead of serving an 'apprenticeship' of 3 to 4 years learning the game, on sh*te money.
The chancers & coursers won't last long on site (if they can even get on), as their lack of speed/know-how would soon see them kicked into touch, so this applies mainly to domestic jobs.
The mind-set of a lot of The Great British Public is that they don't want to pay any more than they have to. (You only need to look at your own town centre to see this effect every day, with shops closing down as The Great British Public flock to the supermarkets instead). So when they hear that 'Joe Bloggs is cheap' they jump in, only to realise afterwards that they have indeed been mugged:RpS_mad: where the guy they employed 'thinks' he has left a good job but in reality he hasn't.
I don't & won't condemn anyone who is having a go to make a pound or two - good luck to them:RpS_thumbup:...........but they've got to do it right!

Perhaps we need a system in place similar to the gas-fitters 'CORGI' scheme, backed up by a massive public awareness campaign so that 'Joe Bloggs' & his trowel wouldn't get through the front door without a ticket. The major pitfall here though is that a dodgy plastering job ain't gonna kill anybody - unlike gas - so TGBP aren't too fussed if they think they're gonna save money, BUT - it will stop a lot of 'dodgy tradesmen' quoting for jobs they aren't entitled to quote for, in my opinion.

I know that a lot of folks just sign up to forums for information - it's the questions that make a forum good (and funny at times!) and it's also what annoys some of the regulars as they are gaining a good insight as well as FREE information, so - if you've read this right to the end you owe me a quid - paypal will do nicely ta:RpS_thumbup:

And me cuppa tea's gone cold:RpS_scared:

Last edited:
Thanks wiganlad, and that highlights my point perfectly..

I wouldnt mind betting that even a 1 wk courser like me can lay on/trowel up to a finish just as fast and just as good quality as a lot of so called "pro spreads" out there. But that doesnt seem to matter, cos to many, i and others will always be chancers!

Bubbles: sorry about you tea going cold mate, ill send you a quid asap for another. Yeah I hear what youre saying and wouldnt disagree with any of it - however, the public gets what the public wants one way or another... how you regulate that is complicated as there doesnt seem to be a central body that sets the bar - as with regs for sparks, plumbers, fitters etc..
When times were good and spreads were coining it in, you cant blame joe bloggs for re-training and thinking "i want some of that", if the courses are available and the work is there, people will do it - its just highlighted more so now as times are quiet.

As for them using the forum to bum for free information - thats the thing with the web - the info is out there for the taking on virtually anything you care to think of... but yes i get where youre coming from. Thing is how do you filter out the chancers trying to sponge free info from pros for work theyre nicking, and diy-ers that genuinely want to ask something and are just having a go at home.

Last edited:
gitznshizzles, if youre doing the work yourself. youre not employing a plasterer so how is it not affecting the industry :huh:

Due to the alot of posts I have read I have decided to do something. All those interested in changing career to pushing supermarket trolley's will be pleased to know that I am now running a one week intensive trolley pushing course. Places are strictly limited and I have organised training by a 5 time top trolley award winner. This course is only £400 and is recognised by all major supermarkets so will give you the edge in the application process. Pm me for more detAils or to book your place. The future is bright, the future is trolley's!

sound good, is there a free gift of a high viz jacket.

i dont want to be thrown in at the deep end tho with the trolleys, can i do the intermedate course with the baskets first.
ive heard there are perks to the job like finding the occasional quid thats been left also.

The rumours are true the average trolley pusher finds over 15 pound a year that has been left in trolleys. Yes you can also book for the intermediate basket course that is £350 for a 3 day intensive course

gitznshizzles, if youre doing the work yourself. youre not employing a plasterer so how is it not affecting the industry :huh:

beddy: i aint trying to start a war here, but do you apply the same logic every time you need to do some work... say paint a wall or a door, put on a bit of skirting or hang a door, add a socket or rewire a cooker, re-turf your lawn....? If you can yes to all, youre a saint and well done for not denying a job to a tradesman.

ive said it before and ill say it again - if you wanna blame people having a go themselves, blame a s**t load of tv programmes that encourage the great unwashed to do just that - changing rooms - ground force - diy sos etc etc... the fact that people have started up training courses to teach people that wanna learn is a byproduct of that - supply and demand!

All im saying is that not everyone that does a course intends to suddenly change career and advertise themselves as a cheap plasterer.

Also - im up for the trolley pushing course - i wont be time served from school but at least i wont be alone when i need some back up in a "coursers argument" with the pros at tescos :)

beddy: i aint trying to start a war here, but do you apply the same logic every time you need to do some work... say paint a wall or a door, put on a bit of skirting or hang a door, add a socket or rewire a cooker, re-turf your lawn....? If you can yes to all, youre a saint and well done for not denying a job to a tradesman.

ive said it before and ill say it again - if you wanna blame people having a go themselves, blame a s**t load of tv programmes that encourage the great unwashed to do just that - changing rooms - ground force - diy sos etc etc... the fact that people have started up training courses to teach people that wanna learn is a byproduct of that - supply and demand!

All im saying is that not everyone that does a course intends to suddenly change career and advertise themselves as a cheap plasterer.

Also - im up for the trolley pushing course - i wont be time served from school but at least i wont be alone when i need some back up in a "coursers argument" with the pros at tescos :)

sorry - posted twice

Last edited:
i'm not blaming anyone mate. DIY is one thing. plastering room after room in your own home then also doing it for mates is another. i'm sure youre not doing it for free? if you want to learn to skim for yourself then thats your choice and i'm completely fine by that. but don't go on to say its not got an affect on real plasterers. so these bits you've done for your mates, did you charge them? if so i'm guessing you did it cheap. did you declare it? i'm thinking not. sounds like cheap labour to me

LOL what a load of bollox, its a myth about lads goin on 5 day courses and stealing work, think about it they wouldnt know jack about getting the work, pricing it and then doing it. Coursers might try it but like any spreads who have been at it a long time, work is hard to find then get, and i guarantee its other plasterers undercutting rather than coursers. Its true i do all my own work throughout my house from fitting extra sockets, adding extra lighting, skirting and so on, im not gonna pay someone else if i can do it, im not for one minute concerned if im robbing a spark or joiner out of a livelyhood. There is no way to set a rate accross the board (there are books with the rates for sites but they are being undercut) because someone will always want it cheaper and there are people who will do it cheaper. There are short plumbing, electrics, bricklaying etc etc courses too so this talk of that being regulated is bull s**t coz there are cowboys in that game also. Times where very good and are not as good now but thats life and if you think getting a job in tesco's is a simple as you think you are wrong any job is difficult to get.

i'm not blaming anyone mate. DIY is one thing. plastering room after room in your own home then also doing it for mates is another. i'm sure youre not doing it for free? if you want to learn to skim for yourself then thats your choice and i'm completely fine by that. but don't go on to say its not got an affect on real plasterers. so these bits you've done for your mates, did you charge them? if so i'm guessing you did it cheap. did you declare it? i'm thinking not. sounds like cheap labour to me

never done a stroke of skimming for anyone other than myself - if a mate asks me to fix his pc ill do it for nafink or some beer money - if he asks me to patch a wall ill do it for nafink or some beer money.. youre missing the point as flynny says - its not the guys that do a course that are the problem, you cant blame people for wanting to learn something for themselves... i wanted to do a plastering course cos i fancied the idea of having a go - as it happens i enjoy it and took to it without making a fking abortion... but i aint claiming to put an ad in the paper and go strolling around saying "yeah ill skim yer ceiling for £60 a day", which is what a lot of people seem to think that ALL coursers do...

Lol you hit the nail on the head it's not for want of trying it's the counts that tell you you can earn such and such a week all for 600 quid

Lol you hit the nail on the head it's not for want of trying it's the counts that tell you you can earn such and such a week all for 600 quid

maybe youre right - to be fair i went at a quiet time - 3 of us doing the 1 week, a tiler getting his ticket or whatever and a self employed spread doing his diploma.

for the 3 on my course - me who wanted to learn enough to skim - a window cleaner / part time property developer that wanted to bond n skim his own properties and a spark that was branching out.... the only thing that our trainer said was that "going on the qualitiy of your finishes, i could take you out on site on monday and you would could compete with a lot of the site spreads out there"... whether he meant crap spreads/chancers that are on site etc i dont know... doing domestic jobs that need a bit of prior knowledge about backings/damp/conditions/prices/artex etc he said was all experience and he couldnt teach that...

when he said that he was trying to make you think youre course money was worth it. not being harsh but its probably true. telling you what you want to hear

Anyone that thinks they can go on a 1 or 2 week course then go out there in the big wide world on there own and make a living plastering is either....

a) A fu c k in idiot
b) r******d in some way (probably mentaly )
c) Deluded
d) Desperate

Even if you only want to patch up ur own house ur better of paying to get it done properly,owning ur own house is the biggest financial comitment ul ever make and fuc ki ng up the plastering could seriously devalue ur house.Its one thing to paint ur kitchen ceiling but something quit different re-plastering a house MY ADVICE IS LEAVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONALS.

Lads who go a course will only ever learn a basic level of plastering . Now am not saying it will not be a very good basic level but there is only so much you can take onboard at once. There is a thousand things to learn and that can only come in time spent plastering. I said this before and I will say it again you need to be with a spread who done time in the saddle to bring you on . What flynnyman said is true other spreads take the bread out of your mouth by been cheaper I know lads on the books who do there cash jobs on a weekend that's always gone on. Just try and focus on what your doing and not on others, easy said then done.

yep im beaten, got nothing more to add, it seems that despite
- I dont claim to know everything after a week course
- I dont think i can earn a living from plastering after a week course
Im still getting peoples backs up - so Ill just shut up :)

These courses were meant to help jo bloggs to help them around the home originally.Near to me is one of these training centres and they have bought an old house which these students will plaster and they will teach them how to price work????? They have to start somewhere as no one is setting anybody on.

Status
Not open for further replies.