I'd like to try marble plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike814

Hi there,

My names Mike and have just joined this forum. Im a sparky by trade but have been plastering to a high standard for around 6 years now. I've recently discovered venetian plastering and really fancy having a go and possibly making a business out of it down here on the sunny coast of Eastbourne. Im interested in all aspects of it but particularly the polished marble effect. Ive found a starter kit which i was wondering if anyone can recommend what kit i should invest in to get started. I'm also planning on doing a 5 day course. Many thanks

mike where are you doing your course, im interested in marble but never got round to learning it, anyone want a partime apprentice with them, i wanna learn it all damit.

I'd like to do the Gold Trowel course but is a bit far from me. Mike Wye Associates do a week in Morocco learning Tadelakt plastering which could be a good crack

I would head Up to Goldtrowel.. their center is brilliant for Marble :)

Ask Flynnyman and teh many other members who have been their to do the marbling :)

First step: 5 days course
Second step: turn on your imagination and practice, practice and practice....:) Italian plastering is never ending process of learning, cos it is an Art of Plastering.

I'm a sparky by trade but have done around 3 days a week plastering for the last 6 years. Everyones happy with my work and no post plastering filler required lol.

It's not that mike but I paid to go on a course for 5 days and was told I would be stacked out with work and I am not! now I find out even sparks have jumped on the band wagon and my work is some off the best in the UK so casper told me who taught me to artex while I was on the course for plastering.

To be honest i think you have to diversify in this day and age. Its amazing how much less work out there is out there at the mo. Ive been sparking for around 16 years now and definitely noticed the drop in work

Render Systems..........How did you get into venetian plastering in Kuwait and what made you decide to do it if you dont mind me asking???

Today my venetian plastering starter kit arrived from Mike Wye which is amazing coz i only ordered it yesterday. To make a sample board would MDF be a sensible option???

Did a course in Keighley yorkshire for polished plastering back in 2006, was a 4day course doing lucidato, marmorino, metallic stucco and portland, looked cushty on them little mdf 600 x 600 sample boards :RpS_biggrin:but was not so confident doing this in someones house on 3m walls or ceilings. If your getting in to this do as many course's as poss an practice in your house first.

Render Systems..........How did you get into venetian plastering in Kuwait and what made you decide to do it if you dont mind me asking???

I was project manager on the Al Kout EIFS instalation for Dryvit Systems and there was a lot of polished plaster being put on the walls, i asked the contracts manager about this and he told me what it was basically, i watched the guys doing it... found out what the materials were... and when i came back to the uk i advertised it on my website... got quite a bit of work but it dried out as i didnt really push it, anyone want to buy Venetian Polished Plasters off me ??

Thanks very much for everyones advice. Much appreciated. I would love to do venetian plaster as a business eventually. As a sparks by trade it would be nice to create a bit of wow factor in someones home rather than a sh1t load of effort put in to gain a few sockets on the wall lol. Although i do more plastering than sparking would be nice to have a change.

Sounds about right there Dave lol.......you've obviously come across my wiring before!!!!!!:RpS_scared:

i can just imagin it now, house been rewired and the chases patched it with Venetian haha just shiney colourful stripes all over the walls

Venetian Plasterers.......I was wondering what part of Sussex you are from and where you get your materials from. I have to admit to having had a good look at your website and have to say i'm well impressed. The finishes are inspiring to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.