i thought it was artex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector

went to plaster a ceiling yesterday covered with big ugly spikes of artex, gave the ceiling a coat of pva then because it was very spikey plastered full ceiling with a coat of bonding, then as i normally do on jobs like this i then go round ceiling splashing water and trowel ceiling in nice and flat, at this point i usually leave it overnight ,1 coat of watered down pva the next day and skim ceiling, have done this many times on this type of ceiling and jobs always gone well ,got down off scaffold washed tools, got bags of multifinish up on scaffold,everything ready for today , just happened to look up and all the plaster was coming down,jumped back up on scaffold,and seen the artex was coming off also and very very easily, then realised it was not artex but some kind of paint/artex and of course when i put the pva on and bonding and water it all just soaked thro. upshot was i stripped it all off the paint/artex came off like margerine,all the bonding, and cleaned all the scaffold off,i was gutted, totally fed up,i gave the ceiling 2 coats of pva and will come back on tuesday to skim it , but i could have sworn it was proper artex ,would not budge at with a scraper until i added the water, then just as i was about to go went to close the bedroom window did not see the wasp sitting there and the fcker stung me, time to go home hector.:rolleyes)

sometimes it can be distemper paint. which lifts when you pva and start skimming .

Tends to happen if artex hasn't been painted. The moisture in the bonding reactivated it and it come off. Simples.

Tends to happen if artex hasn't been painted. The moisture in the bonding reactivated it and it come off. Simples.

quite right beddy,but on this occasion quite simply it was not artex,otherwise it would have stuck painted or not,all the best hector

You obviously didn't read my post hector. We've we unpainted artex before and it practicially falls off. So if you've added a coat of bonding AND the pressure of trowelling it up, could cause it to come off.

You obviously didn't read my post hector. We've we unpainted artex before and it practicially falls off. So if you've added a coat of bonding AND the pressure of trowelling it up, could cause it to come off.

okely dokely pig in a pokery, i understand now all best hector

went to plaster a ceiling yesterday covered with big ugly spikes of artex, gave the ceiling a coat of pva then because it was very spikey plastered full ceiling with a coat of bonding, then as i normally do on jobs like this i then go round ceiling splashing water and trowel ceiling in nice and flat, at this point i usually leave it overnight ,1 coat of watered down pva the next day and skim ceiling, have done this many times on this type of ceiling and jobs always gone well ,got down off scaffold washed tools, got bags of multifinish up on scaffold,everything ready for today , just happened to look up and all the plaster was coming down,jumped back up on scaffold,and seen the artex was coming off also and very very easily, then realised it was not artex but some kind of paint/artex and of course when i put the pva on and bonding and water it all just soaked thro. upshot was i stripped it all off the paint/artex came off like margerine,all the bonding, and cleaned all the scaffold off,i was gutted, totally fed up,i gave the ceiling 2 coats of pva and will come back on tuesday to skim it , but i could have sworn it was proper artex ,would not budge at with a scraper until i added the water, then just as i was about to go went to close the bedroom window did not see the wasp sitting there and the fcker stung me, time to go home hector.:rolleyes)

Silly old hector.

Status
Not open for further replies.