I often think

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
I often think when folk telephone for a price what they think is the price they thought that it would be. They may get prices of friends on what they have had done and use it as a yardstick and so on. But sometimes I think they seem to think that plastering is no big skill and just a stepping to stone to the tiler tiling a bathroom or the paint they will apply over the skim and so on.

They have no idea but whatever you say,they say ,oh ,it's more than I thought, how much for cash etc

Plastering has defiantly been de valued through the years, 5 day courses and no regulations to blame IMO.

I often find that they want me to do the job for the lowest quote they've had. So and so said they can do it for this much ...

It is boarding & skimming that has lost its value.

That is the bread and butter for most guys (including myself)

I think if you explain the job and then explain it in the quote they can see it's more than just walloping a wall

you're right, henry. i think the majority of punters have a ball park idea of price from asking around, family, friends, workmates etc a few will argue the price there and then with you, others will say they need to think about it and then get back to you over the phone and try and knock you down. others just have no idea and you can see them working out how much you might earn for the day in their heads and being pi55ed off because they earn that in a week in asda or a bookies. they dont see the overheads, the evenings and weekends spent pricing work, the fuel used, etc etc if you're self employed you can pick and choose the client as well, and on occasions i have, with great glee. i've had wifes and husbands phoning me up apologising for their other half after i've told them to get someone else because theyve been rude or condescending. but too late. like telling your boss to go fcuk themselves.

I know of a few who are working on £50 day when ask why they just say better then nothing. I think they are also getting working tax credits but saying nothing.
For myself I know my worth and are worth a lot lot more then 50 day I always go the extra mile .

Do you think they say this to all trades john,

From the trades i know Henry plumbers and sparky's often get the same thing but up here they are not daft and all pee in the same pot so min a sparky will charge is JIB rate,s plumbers also have set a min rate they will work at unofficially of course.

i think they are alright claiming working tax credits henry cos from the sound of it they are not earning enough for the government to say they dont need it

the problem is the smallest job that we can do will take 3 hours. a plumber can do a boiler service in 20 min.
ah well there we go swings n roundabouts As I always say to my lad as long as we're making a Bob

I know of a few who are working on £50 day when ask why they just say better then nothing. I think they are also getting working tax credits but saying nothing.
For myself I know my worth and are worth a lot lot more then 50 day I always go the extra mile .
But are they any good? And if so drop me some phone numbers :)

are people realy working for that?

in 10 yrs that's the lowest ive charged for patching up a few holes on my way home from work etc

surely people aren't doing proper 2gauge days on that?

they cant be? Im sure that half of all this chat is just rumour mill on overdrive!!!:RpS_scared:

Am afraid not zombie 50 a day , not sure about there work thou. Flynnman looked at a job last week ceiling and making good , but one of our local firms had been working the guy feck them off, it was dog rough and this firm you will have seen drive a long wheel base van with green lettering.

Am afraid not zombie 50 a day , not sure about there work thou. Flynnman looked at a job last week ceiling and making good , but one of our local firms had been working the guy feck them off, it was dog rough and this firm you will have seen drive a long wheel base van with green lettering.
Yeh seen them about heard a few stories and most of his work on his website he stole and the stuff that is his is rough as **** lol

yowser!!!:RpS_thumbdn:

yeh, its tough, especially private work, its cut throat... but i couldnt spend all day lobbing boards on walls and skimming them, too boring, so I just get on with it. prefer the private sector, could be dashing one week, skimming week after and fitting cornice week after, its more interesting.. but i agree the short course lads have fuked the game up, they do however have to stick to skimming really...

Around here there is a firm of 2 plasterers..both over 15 years in the game. They were advertising "full room plastered, all materials included,£100."
I asked and they said that was for an average(?) sized room. Some are simply overskim, others are board and skim etc...
He said they win on some and lose on others but at least were working.
How the hell can anyone run a 2 man firm on that money? They'd need do 3 average(?) rooms a day.

Around here there is a firm of 2 plasterers..both over 15 years in the game. They were advertising "full room plastered, all materials included,£100."
I asked and they said that was for an average(?) sized room. Some are simply overskim, others are board and skim etc...
How the hell can anyone run a 2 man firm on that money? They'd need do 3 average(?) rooms a day.

There on the dole

Where is this place.. The fifties?

I'm with you. It dives me mad. People always say ' oh I'll have a go at anything, electrical, plumbing, bricks, wood work etc, but plastering is a real skill, I wouldn't try that' but then when you give them the price there like 'what'??!!! I graft every day. Always give my skim an extra trowel so it's the best it can be, internals always nice, clean up every time so the area is cleaner than when I started, plus I was trained by mega old boys so can do all the traditional plaster of Paris running o. The walls, making shoes, Pathans plaster, stuff most guys can't do. I always give a fair price, ANSI get ****** about. Anyone - anyone. Can learn to be a plumber, sparky, joiner or Bricky. You show them and then it's just repetition to get quicker and quicker. But you guys know, not everyone can be a spread. Sure we can show you how to do it, but not everyone can learn the 'touch', the 'angle'. Some people just can't do it. I'd rather be on the dole than work for less than my day rate. And I'm very very fair and honest with my prices.

A while back, did a complete re skim of a 4 bed house, agreed a figure with the guy to do the job,had a payment when top was done so no problems there, however he was in the pub one night talking about his job to I guess to some half wit spread who say'd to him " I'll plaster the bottom of your house in 3 days" ..we had about 2 days ceilings and prep, plus 3 days walls to go...builder boy says to me "you taking the piss out of me ? My mate will plaster this in 3days on his own!" Well a argument quickly followed ..and after a few choice words I told him " get your mate from the pub to do it..we're off"...knob... Well two weeks went by when builder boy phoned me and said " could I come back and finish the job, as arsewipe spread had been at it a week and had made a right abortion of the plastering"..I said " 3 grand or you can F##k right off " ...he put the phone down and I haven't heard from him since........

There on the dole

Nope..that was what I thought when I saw the adverts but I mentioned it to a couple of the lads I used to work with and they all say it's all official, just stupidly cheap to make sure they get the work.
I dare say the quality will reflect the price but to be fair I know that one of them is a very neat spread.

the problem is the smallest job that we can do will take 3 hours. a plumber can do a boiler service in 20 min.

We had the gas man round to fit a new cooker hob 20mins inc necking his brew, "that'll just be £140 please".
" mate the only way your getting 140 sheets off me is if you service the boiler aswell cause otherwise thats £420 an hour, which i thinks a bit excessive".
He moaned a little then spent 30 mins on the boiler. Cheeky tw@t

Status
Not open for further replies.