i nearly lost a wall yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey07

hi chaps,absolute nightmare yesterday was for me i came that close to launching the trowel....it was a re skim job on a 20 x 16 ft long wall in a corridor and i had a poxy little plugin light the builder gave me......anyway cut a long story short after just puttin on the first coat and then a little bit of the 2nd the bulb went (i thought)....i got in the van and went and found one,i came back it didnt work....pitch black it was.......theres me tryin to flatten evrrything out...had a brainwave put a new fuse in the light....bingo.....went back to the wall and it was going off big time it had me by the bollox for a few hrs after that,the sweat was dripping off me until i got it right in the end.......anyway thats the closest ive come to losing a wall i think.....p.s.has anybody lost a wall or a ceiling and what did you do to put it right????

i had 1 set that was all angles and arkward bits in an occupied kitchen so i was working around everything. on my tod, by the time i'd washed all the kit off it was pretty much dry, one of those jobs where they left the heating on all night before and it was still on when i got there. i just switched off and working my nuts off till i finished it. if it turned out s**t all you do is PVA and re-skim

steve cov said:
i had 1 set that was all angles and arkward bits in an occupied kitchen so i was working around everything. on my tod, by the time i'd washed all the kit off it was pretty much dry, one of those jobs where they left the heating on all night before and it was still on when i got there. i just switched off and working my nuts off till i finished it. if it turned out (german word) all you do is PVA and re-skim
i know mate its at the time though aint it.......you want to get everything back under control and you end up sweatin your tits off all for a poxy light.....

mickey07 said:
steve cov said:
i had 1 set that was all angles and arkward bits in an occupied kitchen so i was working around everything. on my tod, by the time i'd washed all the kit off it was pretty much dry, one of those jobs where they left the heating on all night before and it was still on when i got there. i just switched off and working my nuts off till i finished it. if it turned out (german word) all you do is PVA and re-skim
i know mate its at the time though aint it.......you want to get everything back under control and you end up sweatin your tits off all for a poxy light.....

have you not got your own lights, we've got 4 halogens and keep plenty of bulbs in the van. that way your not depending on the builders poxy light

yeh got one in me shed.....aint used it in donkeys though.......you naturally think there is good power on the job and light even.....builder is turning a few rooms into flats on a house in brum

Get some goliath lights , they fold flat and you can stick them under your van seat for when needs must .

sponge it then knock a bit more up and top the sh't bits.... hurts but what can you do?
i over watered some wba down once and hit the full room for a set, was nearly crying swapping arms every 30 seconds... quickest room i ever plastered... got away with it in the end but learnt something that day...

Chris W said:
sponge it then knock a bit more up and top the sh't bits.... hurts but what can you do?
i over watered some wba down once and hit the full room for a set, was nearly crying swapping arms every 30 seconds... quickest room i ever plastered... got away with it in the end but learnt something that day...

I did a 50 m2 mix in a room once, but I forgot how hot it was outside.

I started at about 10AM and just as it was getting towards the end it was like 80 degrees and I was sweating my tits off :)

I think I lost about a stone that day

regarding the original question the older and more experienced you get you gain two things

A - You know what your limits are

B - Because we been doing it years we can up our game for a few hours and get away with it.

Yep, i lost a occupied kitchen ceiling all above units there was like 6 inches from top of unit to ceiling...f**k**g horrible job, same thing heating had been on all night, and it was a fair size ceiling...I had to go back and aimes it after...Looked ok after i had aimesd it and been painted....I told the client it was stupid of hime to leave the heating on all night....And could he make it any harder for me..

It's times like that i want to give up plastering lol

lol thanks mate , i saw one in a tool hire place a couple of days ago and thought shall i ? but didnt know what to do with it ???

church fill your beads and tapered joints out and have a cup of tea give it a nice thick coat and flatten it then soak it sponge it and trowel it up like normal ......the job im on at the min alot of lads are sponging, some are 2 coating and still sponging and tbh if its done right the finish is spotless very even looking

why are they 2 coating AND sponging super spunk? i thought the idea of sponging finish is to get away with 1 coat?

I dont know if people are taking the piss but anyway sponge float is for one coat and as Spunkey says some people use them on Multi the only time i use it on Multi is if you are up against it and losing a wall you can bring it back with wet sponge float troweling up immediately to save the wall.

spunky said:
church fill your beads and tapered joints out and have a cup of tea give it a nice thick coat and flatten it then soak it sponge it and trowel it up like normal ......the job im on at the min alot of lads are sponging, some are 2 coating and still sponging and tbh if its done right the finish is spotless very even looking

HAha oh yes spunky

spunky said:

Well said spunky! the sponge float is very under estimated imo with a lot of spreads , I have had some of my best finishes when using a spongey but its all about timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.