I have no idea... Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1

Iam a fully experienced plasterer 10 years on the trowel, and i have hit a wall ... a salty wall that is.

At the begining of the year i was asked to repair a really bad render job right on the sea front. I turned up hacked it off and started anew.

The house is trapped in the 70's with some damp problems on the inside of the wall i was working on. the pointing had been eroded and the brick work was at the stage of disrepair that crumberly effect but not on them all. So i dusted the lose off and applyed the scratch with waterproof and left it over night.

Next day returned to apply the top coat all was well ... or i thought it was . the top coat was fine all as normal.

Until i returned last week to check on it and to my despair it has basically all blown .. i am really gutted as i pride myself on my render and as i said 10 years on the trowel this has never happend before....

Please help i have no idea.. I was thinking maybe useing that pink mesh or have i got multi maddness

how old is the house?you didnt use cement render on a lime mortar built house did you?..........by the sounds of it you used cement as you added a waterproofer.

Has the scratchcoat blown with your top coat me thinks next day to far to soon to double up suction suction suction .

Might be the salt that has pushed the render off the wall. If the property is right on the sea front as you say, the wind and spray will have penetrated the brick work over many years. If it is a salt problem, it only pushes it off as it dries out, while it's ''damp'' (fook me did I just say damp !) everything looks fine until it dries, then blows.........my two penny worth.

If the bricks were crumbling did you weaken the mix for the scrath coat.??? and welcome to the forum by the way marra........:RpS_thumbup:

Hi welcome ed1,

now then, I've experience rendering sea front properties in Brighton.
Can I ask what kind of mix you had going? and also as to the state of the other rendered building around your property.
When you say "it was a really bad render job", did you mean it had been on years and years a but rough but blown or recently applied in the past few years?
This does have some bearing on my analysis.
I've been in the game for 23 years and I know how gutted you must feel to have a job turn on you like that.
There will be an explanation and we "the brotherhood" of plasterers forum will come to your rescue! :RpS_thumbsup:

no need to fret.

Rock on !

"the brotherhood" of plasterers, was that them that sang save all your skimmin for me?????lol:RpS_thumbsup:

"the brotherhood" of plasterers, was that them that sang save all your skimmin for me?????lol:RpS_thumbsup:

I prefer lionel richie......what a feelin to be skimmin on the ceilin...........:RpS_thumbup:

Malcolm x (edited)

"I believe in the brotherhood of all plasterers, but I don't believe in wasting brotherhood on anyone who doesn't want to practice it with me. Brotherhood is a two-coat finish."

Rock on !

Malcolm x (edited)

"I believe in the brotherhood of all plasterers, but I don't believe in wasting brotherhood on anyone who doesn't want to practice it with me. Brotherhood is a two-coat finish."

Rock on !
BB are you chummy with the clay monster???..........you seem to post and come across just like him...........its very intriging

WTF

Arty,
to be honest not really chummy with anyone, no one seems to want to befriend me...its so sad:-(

I am what I am, that is it.

Rock on !

They mean feck all mate it's just messin with peoples heads to see if they have the stayin power for the promised land......... The sacred thousand posts, I believe that's wots itching your tits most of all?:RpS_sneaky:

It's got fukall to do with salt. From what the OP says it's because he chipped off and re-rendered without leaving any time for the structure to 'breathe' -
as in releasing moisture:RpS_thumbup:

Yeh it would be like rendering on to a wet sponge if there is moisture in there, it needs somewhere to go And render ain't gonna stop it:RpS_scared:

if the bricks and morter joints where shot to bits after hacking the old render off then its because the wall is now weakend , should have messed it up before rendering to aid strength , unless the walls were bloody soaked then that alone wouldnt cause the render to blow, houses have cavitiys to help dry the bricks! so again unless these where all blocked and the wall was ringing wet, that wouldnt cause the render to blow. more likely to be the salt if on the sea front since the 70s.
also bear in mind that lots of 70s houses would have used a lime based mortor to bed the brick work, if the last spread rendered over that with a strong enough cement mix, that can kill the mortor coz it cant breath,seen it a thousand times. you want to use lime in both scratch and top coat to allow the wall to breath.....plus making sure the cavity is clear to breath from behind. deffo mesh and salt stabilizer i would have used, them limey mixes to top out.

Status
Not open for further replies.