I have just taken on an apprentice ..... oh my god !!

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
robbie d said:
This forum is a bit mental is it not?? surely someone that has been at college for a year must learn something? If you have the slightest bit of common sense then you will pick thing's up after a day of doing it..
Then you read other post's on here about (plasterers) not knowing how much to price a job at. Then you get people asking what size of stilts to buy? surely they know their own height? not takin the p*ss here but what's goin on?
hello robbie, and welcome to the forum.
when youve been on a while you'll come to realise that this is a 'plastering resource' not just a forum for experienced plasterers. People sign up as newbie plasterers hoping to further their knowledge of the game, and to benefit from the experience of the already established spreads on here.. personally ive learnt loads since ive been on here.. in fact ill say ill learn something every week...
everyones entitled to an opinion mate, this is a good thing because it opens your mind to other possibilities, we dont always agree but so what?
we've recently started a 'newbie' type faq to deal with a lot of newbie type questions, anything that isnt covered in there is dealt with on the forum, occasionally we get what some experienced spreads might term a 'silly question' but when youre a newbie it doesnt seem silly at all.. im sure you were once..
anyway.. lecture over... ;D
enjoy the forum mate...

interesting subject this, as i was a mature student when i went to collage to study the art of plastering and i must confess about 4 out of the 15 including myself are still working in the trade today, i think it boils down to why your their on the course in the first place. i had gone part time in my job to do this qualification so i had committed myself 100% into it where as the lads that had come straight from school messed about a hell of alot and got bored and probably didn't really know what they wanted to do, so it comes down to how much you want to learn.the collage course i was on was excellant but needed more time on practical work and the experiance comes over time as everyone knows, i would recommend day release as a better alternative ;D

He has been taught that when using hardwall you lay up vertical screeds every 600mm and get them upright then let that go off then fill in the middles ... I mean come on who the fu$% does that.
He was amazed when I hardwalled a room in an hour like some kind of voodoo magic.

He is a good lad, grafts like a goodun but I told him today to forget what little he has learned from college and just watch and learn from me and of course to ask questions.

mac_plastering said:
take a picture of him richard lets see if he looks as much of a tvvat as you make out
Im not making out that he is a Twaat just that after a year at college im amazed by how little they have taught him and what they have seems to be old fashioned useless information.

Oh and by the way he has been boxing for 12 years and from what I have heard from other people he's a right handful ..... ouch

Rich b

hes only been with you a day he might surprise you, im sure hes not seen everything else you can do in a day? he might know the chemical formula for plaster...lol. Putting up screeds is the proper way for someone to learn how to float a wall i wouldnt tell him to forget what hes learned but do it my way lol.

I know it is but who in their right mind does it, I have never met anyone who does it and def not when they are on price

Rich

Oh and putting up screeds isnt "the proper" way to render, it is 1 way to do it, you making out that if you dont do that then you are not doing it correctly.

Rich

I didnt say it was, it is one way of doing it and if you dont do it that way your not doing it incorrectly.

I allways use screeds on high suction backgrounds doesn't everyone :-\ i think its the best way to teach someone as well but i may be wrong

Oh and by the way he has been boxing for 12 years and from what I have heard from other people he's a right handful ..... ouch

good for him i will sort him a fight out with amir khan if he that good.
Seriously tho mate, give him a 2-3 week trial and if he no good get rid he will end up costing u money, be a liability.
i have heard it before " good plasterers, but that young lad they had with them was a right bell ender"
could lose you future work if he fooks up

Well he is handy at the moment as im doing a new build block of flats here in Plymouth so he's a busy boy at the moment just helping load out and fill water butts etc ... he also cleans a mean floor.

When he's settled down a bit ill go through the motions with him

Rich

church said:
I allways use screeds on high suction backgrounds doesn't everyone :-\ i think its the best way to teach someone as well but i may be wrong

Can you give me an example church ?

Rich

If i was on a rendering a wall using hardwall depending on the size of the wall , i would give the wall a splash of water put on a band of hardwall approx 1meter in width x story height using 2 tight coats rule across using a straight edge , fill in then rule vertically and fill in again, do the same opposite side of wall (depending on size) then put a band of render across the top of the wall joining the two screeds together ruling horizontally only , then fill in the Wall ruling vertically and horizontally

why ???

That must take ages to do and sounds a right royal pain,especially when your on price.

When ever i hardwall i first check out the wall with a 6 foot rule to see whats what then lay and rule accordingly.

Is this what you would do whenever you s/c hardwall church ??

Rich

why? because its how you're supposed to do it! its how i do it, i think its prolly quicker to get a spot on job by doing it this way rather than putting it on and frigging about with level. how do you do it?

best spreads i know use screeds and it aint slower even on price look at churchy's pictures proper spread

I think it must depend on issues like , what background are you rendering onto , i would not use screeds if the background suction was slow because it would be easier for me to get it right without the panic i hope this makes sense

used to know a bloke bob tootle screeded everything and i would say church comes from same school i'e a plasterer

watched some fellas doing dot and plumb years back when i was on the hod, looked like a right pain! how do you go about it?

You level up bits of wood on the wall with plaster, straight edge and level ,vertically then use these as a guide to your screed, guarantee if its done right you wont get a fag paper behind the rule

I can honestly say in all my years I have only seen it once and that was because the block was well out.

If the block is good then i just lay the entire wall fast then use a 6 foot rule and screed it off paying particular attention to the skirting,ceiling and angles .....

Rich

bigsegs said:
robbie d said:
This forum is a bit mental is it not?? surely someone that has been at college for a year must learn something? If you have the slightest bit of common sense then you will pick thing's up after a day of doing it..
Then you read other post's on here about (plasterers) not knowing how much to price a job at. Then you get people asking what size of stilts to buy? surely they know their own height? not takin the p*ss here but what's goin on?
hello robbie, and welcome to the forum.
when youve been on a while you'll come to realise that this is a 'plastering resource' not just a forum for experienced plasterers. People sign up as newbie plasterers hoping to further their knowledge of the game, and to benefit from the experience of the already established spreads on here.. personally ive learnt loads since ive been on here.. in fact ill say ill learn something every week...
everyones entitled to an opinion mate, this is a good thing because it opens your mind to other possibilities, we dont always agree but so what?
we've recently started a 'newbie' type faq to deal with a lot of newbie type questions, anything that isnt covered in there is dealt with on the forum, occasionally we get what some experienced spreads might term a 'silly question' but when youre a newbie it doesnt seem silly at all.. im sure you were once..
anyway.. lecture over... ;D
enjoy the forum mate...
Cheers bigsegs, by no means was i takin the p*ss or anything, thought it was all plasterer's on here as only recently have i joined and never really had a chance to look through whole site to see what the crack was. So if i have offended anyone i apologise.

you can buy these 'flatness guide' things from wickes..
theyre a bit like a t shaped stop bead type thing, i gave em a bash once on a wonky wall and pulled em off again...
just couldnt be arsed.. i think theyre meant for one coat anyway..

we had to do a squash court with armourcoat and had to set dots .....they came off after about five minutes and everyone did it by hand .........bet the balls fly everywhere ;D

Im not sure but these kids go college day release 1 day a week i pressume? so....
with the holidays they get approx 30 weeks a year . So 30 weeks is only 30 days really ( a year ).
I reckon i could teach even a complete muppet to plaster onto boards bead and do a ceiling in that time MINIMUM and to a goodish standard.
Working with a plaster day in day out is the best way.This is how i learnt and many others also.
You can do a 5 day course and you will (in theroy learn the method of plastering which is the fundamental basics required).
But ,by watching a plasterer once you no the right methods you will learn so much more.

doubt it mate ......itll take 6 weeks to teach em how to mix different materials and clean up

if they cant mix it right and lets face none can, ie never clean buckets right ,floor a mess ,paddle a mess and then look at you like you a a complete tosserwhen you tell em to clean everything properley theyve no right being anywhere near a trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.