I have just taken on an apprentice ..... oh my god !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use screeds sometimes, sometimes I don't, I've done dot and plumb too and on occasions I've used grounds.
I've also stood in front of the wall and thrown it randomly, ruled it off and moved on.
The key is to be able to do them all and use the best one for the job in front of you.

(I'm gonna say it again segs)
More than one way to skin a cat. So long as the cat gets skinned who gives a toss whether you start at the tail the head or do it in bits. It's still a skinned cat.

;D

I was given a lad to 'train' by a contractor I was working for, he wanted to be a plasterer, and to be fair I've had a couple of these, but what I find is that they have no intrest in learning the basics ie, cleaning, mixing, setting up etc, just in getting on the tools! However as everyone on here knows all too well if you can't do the basics you can't develop your routine then you end up in a right mess!! And you don't know anything, like every job you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Saying all this if the lad has been to college and managed to get a start with a spread then fair play to him, it's up to him to learn and take it on board, in a few months could be a nice little earner!

I aways dot and plumb to get it spot on maybe because its normaly me fitting the kitchen and doing the tiling and i think its quicker any way. Stick a small piece of plasterboard on the wall at skirting and plumb one up at the ceiling and run your rule to that cant go wrong.
Lucius

lucius said:
I aways dot and plumb to get it spot on maybe because its normaly me fitting the kitchen and doing the tiling and i think its quicker any way. Stick a small piece of plasterboard on the wall at skirting and plumb one up at the ceiling and run your rule to that cant go wrong.
Lucius
i only ever saw it done before i started plastering so i didn't pay attention to what they were doing. on a large area, side of a house for example, how would you go about it? where to start, distance between dots etc?
cheers lads

its probably another reason (unfortunately) people go with dot and dab cause there leveled up im going to go and kill myself now dont worry !

:'(
tis a sad day for anyone who wants to know how to get hardwall out of an eggcup with a shovel whilst eating a cheese and jam sarnie, drinking a pint of stella and singing the lithuanian nation anthem backwards..

r.i.p our spunky
may the lord show mercy on your ring..

Status
Not open for further replies.