I am not a plasterer but could be

MicklemusH

As the title says I could be a plasterer but it is realy a young mans profession due to plastering being I would say the most hard and phisically demanding in the whole of the building trade. Labourers work hard but they don't have to produce a finish that is acceptable to the most fastidious of decorators but most plasterers do have that on their mind although those who have the plastering knack and skill can produce the required perfectly straight surfaces with one eye shut.......... I was taught to plaster at our local tech when I was thirteen (1953) and knew straight away I did not want to become a plasterer due to it being, graft! I chose plumbing instead but all that teaching at that colledge became very useful ever after. I don't know what Winston Churchill's brickwork was like but he enjoyed laying bricks as I have done many a time.
My Brickwork teacher was a brilliant brickie who layed 5 bricks with one trowel full of mortar and he was only a small bloke but a master. I was told by a young brick layer that he took him for his City & Guilds......... That was in the seventies. He asked me how come a heating engineer knew what a DPC was so I said my brickwork teacher Geffries told me in 1953 so he told me about his exam.
I'm very old now but have to skim quite a bit of stud wall on our upstairs landing. I thought I'd make myself useful during this epidemic but find there is no plaster available. I think I was exceptioally lucky to get three 2.4 x 1.2 boards in these strange times.
I wonder if plasterers in general are aware and know about the exploitation of plasterers on Ebay and Gumtree due to Gypsum being shut for quite a while? There must be some desperate men out there if they will pay £37.99 for a bag of multi finish?
I will not pay such an extrotionate price for a bag of plaster but will wait untill this unpresidented problem hopefully subsides. British Gypsum will be starting production 15th May so says Matt the managing director who seems excellent re his article about the virus's dangers to all.

I apologise for going on a lot but I do hope some of you plasterers out there will be as disgusted as I am regarding the exploitation dished out to all you hard working lot.

Fair play to you mate you didn't need to mention every trade In the construction industry that you dabbled in at college,ultimately to tell us that multifinish now costs more than a melvyn Bragg at the local brothel