How,why,what and who??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Painted over a rough job(trowel marks, air bubbles, brushed in corners) And it looked great?? My plastering is a hell of a lot better than jon wayne that came in and do it.I two coated the paint and lashed it on.I think I may take to much pride in my work?? When do you guys look at the skim finish and say "Yup thats it."???

Painted over a rough job(trowel marks, air bubbles, brushed in corners) And it looked great?? My plastering is a hell of a lot better than jon wayne that came in and do it.I two coated the paint and lashed it on.I think I may take to much pride in my work?? When do you guys look at the skim finish and say "Yup thats it."???
Is this a question or are you just thinking out load marra?????????:RpS_confused:

what :RpS_confused:

I am a plasterer.How ever i dabble in the odd bits n peices, tililng, painting ect, what ever keeps the wolves from the door.The plasterer that has been in left it in a state,air bubbles,looks one coated,brushmarks in the corners/ internal-angles.To be honest it was quite shocking.How ever when I painted it looked great.If I had have done it it would have looked mint,but I think I do have a tendancy to over plasterer it.Im constantly worrying about it looking good.I havent had any complaints in the 6/7 years i have been doing it and keep being asked back and recomended by word of mouth.Im allways on the forums, looking up this and that.Im just wondering how the old pro's know when to walk away from the skim and say "Yeah that will paint up nice". Thanks.

Passes? I get it on methodical strokes from left corner to right corner coming down.

I suppose im a messer really, cant leave it alone,need to learn to stop playing with it.

Put it on,lay it down,make sure corners are neat,then put another coat on,leave it,put it down,leave it,hit it with lots of water to bring lots of fat up,start filling in any misses,leave it,trowel it,leaveit then polish......Am I going wrong some where would love to know wht every one else does...I never get pulled for my work.think maybe im going over board?

you showed your chink in your armour robinsons when you went on about the amount of water you use.
Less water is better mate.

yes.I have.I have never had a call back,and my work gets passed on word of mouth.Im just asking questions.I thought this is what the whole point of this forum was for?To ask questions.

Why do i feel your all backing me into a corner.Im asking questions.Its a forum.of course i know how to plaster.i have just recently started using alot of water as to try achive the perfect finish.ccourse there are different ways of plastering.Different strokes for different folks.

My old boss used to drown the walls and he was/is one of the best plasterers in the area with a great reputation. We used to joke about getting the wellies on if we were skimming the same room :RpS_thumbup:

did you put lime in the mix bubbles them days, forgot to say bought my cliff calander today from staples £3-99.

Nice one Henry, get the picture with the most life-sized head for the best effect (not Caspers') :RpS_thumbup:

We didn't add lime as a rule though, just on the odd occasion mate.

yes.I have.I have never had a call back,and my work gets passed on word of mouth.Im just asking questions.I thought this is what the whole point of this forum was for?To ask questions.

you have'nt got a clue, if your using lots of water and fat your work will look shite. just because you have'nt been called back doesnt mean your a good plasterer. people in this country are to frightened to complain thats all. they think your a qualified plasterer so of course they are not going to ring you up and complain!

Why do i feel your all backing me into a corner.Im asking questions.Its a forum.of course i know how to plaster.i have just recently started using alot of water as to try achive the perfect finish.ccourse there are different ways of plastering.Different strokes for different folks.
Different strokes for different folks.........:RpS_laugh: thats mustard.......:RpS_thumbsup:

So what you're really trying to say is, what can we get away with as plasterers seeing as painters can improve the finish a little.

Think the answer is based on experience. If you've decorated your own work, you know what you can get away with. It also depends on the quality of the painters too, if they're any good they'll fill in your misses, and wack more paint on bits that need it.

decorator is the same as a plasterer

painter is the same as a skimmer

theres no such thing as a decorator anymore

Passes? I get it on methodical strokes from left corner to right corner coming down.

I suppose im a messer really, cant leave it alone,need to learn to stop playing with it.

Put it on,lay it down,make sure corners are neat,then put another coat on,leave it,put it down,leave it,hit it with lots of water to bring lots of fat up,start filling in any misses,leave it,trowel it,leaveit then polish......Am I going wrong some where would love to know wht every one else does...I never get pulled for my work.think maybe im going over board?

Am i reading this correctly? you put it on, lay down then put another coat on? why you 3 coating? all you need is 1st coat, quick flatten before laying down 2nd coat, let it pick up a little then trowel with NO water, let it pick up again, light mist of water and trowel, then quick flash with dry trowel to finish. If you are a plaster with 6/7 years experience you should not be asking questions like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.