How to plaster/cover wooden shelf in faux chimney

White24

Hi,

So I've had a fake chimney built which houses my TV. I've also had a narrow rectangle opening made below it which I'm planning to use as a decorative shelf.

Unfortunately I let my dad loose on it who decided the shelf base should be built out of wood, even after I told him not too! I've since had it all plastered and now I'm left with a shelf that the plasterer was unable to plaster due to it being made from wood (urgh) . So the whole chimney has been plastered minus the base of the rectangler opening.

I'm now left with an exposed wooden shelf and the metal trim on show.

To make matters worse the shelf is also slightly on the piss (thanks Dad!)

I'm now not sure what is the best thing to do to rectify the issue. I'm concerned the front edge will now look crap if I stick a plaster board sheet on to it as I'll have a hard edge sat on top of the metal trim thats already been plastered in to the chimney.

Apologies I have no idea if this is making sense to people. I'm judt trying to work out how to fix this diy disaster. Do I use some packers to help straighten it out then stick a plasterboard sheet on top, or do i use a sheet of metal mesh and stick that on top so it can be plastered onto?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Apologies for the terrible ible pictures, I've just quickly taken them and the shelf is currently a dumping ground while we renovate!

Attachments

• IMG_20210323_200619.jpg
    IMG_20210323_200619.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20210323_200627.jpg
    IMG_20210323_200627.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 219
  • 16165302416388208139668389106802.jpg
    16165302416388208139668389106802.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 225
Hi,

So I've had a fake chimney built which houses my TV. I've also had a narrow rectangle opening made below it which I'm planning to use as a decorative shelf.

Unfortunately I let my dad loose on it who decided the shelf base should be built out of wood, even after I told him not too! I've since had it all plastered and now I'm left with a shelf that the plasterer was unable to plaster due to it being made from wood (urgh) . So the whole chimney has been plastered minus the base of the rectangler opening.

I'm now left with an exposed wooden shelf and the metal trim on show.

To make matters worse the shelf is also slightly on the piss (thanks Dad!)

I'm now not sure what is the best thing to do to rectify the issue. I'm concerned the front edge will now look crap if I stick a plaster board sheet on to it as I'll have a hard edge sat on top of the metal trim thats already been plastered in to the chimney.

Apologies I have no idea if this is making sense to people. I'm judt trying to work out how to fix this diy disaster. Do I use some packers to help straighten it out then stick a plasterboard sheet on top, or do i use a sheet of metal mesh and stick that on top so it can be plastered onto?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Apologies for the terrible ible pictures, I've just quickly taken them and the shelf is currently a dumping ground while we renovate!
Tell ya fatha to get some filler apply, sand and paint it.

Paint the internal
Fit a “L” shape trim of your material choice around the opening mitred at the corners. Stick them on straight

I would not pay your dad, for coming to your house doing such a bad job.
You must have had a horrible time, putting up with someone so ungrateful, after you letting him waste his time doing work in your house. I bet he also had a couple of cup of tea which he did not pay for.
You should call him up on a public forum, so we can all see had bad he has been.
P.S. Do you need the phone number for Child-line?

#shelveslivesmatter

I’d get some nice red velour curtains on a sliding curtain track to cover the opening. Make a hole in the side of the chimney breast big enough to get your head through in to the opening, then whilst operating the curtain mechanism with your left hand, shout ‘ta dah’ as the curtains open. Your very own home theatre to entertain the kids.

Last edited: