How to match and repair this old render?

Members online

sailing.ben

Dear Spreads,

I need your kind advice on identifying the type of render in these photos of my circa 1904 house(I appreciate the dash and render are not of that vintage :)).

The render has a lovely weathered look but also has a few cracks that I guess are letting water into the render and they look unsightly.

I want to repair the cracks and wonder what method to use and what mix would be best.

Many thanks for tour sage advice.

Ben

Attachments

• How to match and repair this old render?
    20200411_133214.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 185
    20200411_133235.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 206
    20200411_133241.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 173
I’ve seen this loads where I live it’s from when the concrete was cast using cheap steel that has expanded and rusted causing the concrete to blow off in places where the steel is close to the surface.

patch it in with 4-1 sand cement with pva painted on the concret. Will weather in over time.

I’ve seen this loads where I live it’s from when the concrete was cast using cheap steel that has expanded and rusted causing the concrete to blow off in places where the steel is close to the surface.

patch it in with 4-1 sand cement with pva painted on the concret. Will weather in over time.
Thanks

Cracks were/are the problem,
Long term moisture ingress, rusting steel and blown it.

Also

Avoid pva.
OK for insides, need something more substantial, like sbr or a slurry or micro.....

It would of been cracked for years. Look up concrete cancer and you will see what I’m talking about. This is a very minor example and nothing to worry about. Patch it in and move onto your next bit of your house renovation