How to get onto site work - West Midlands

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasjack

Hi guys

I'm from West Midlands Birmingham

Can any tell me how I can get onto site skimming I'm self employed and my work top notch?

Cscs card first then sign up for an agency if you are good and consistent a main contractor will take you on in no time. Alternatively sign up for a few agencies and put yourself about opportunities will then come if you turn up regular put a shift in keep your beads clean your reveals square and enjoy the banter.

f**k the agencies you will be treated like a dick by them and the site agent. If you see a site, call on and ask the agent who is doing it then ring them up its that simple.

I've got my own company... So I don't want to go on and work for someone else.... I've already done all that shite[emoji23]

If you have your own company surely your familiar with how you get work??? Big companies tend for it, the rest of us take the price on offer.

Our either making prices or taking prices....personally im taking prices.

The happy medium is your in with a big firm and can negotiate a bit more but as far as im aware theres not really a true

I have work on just always thought it would be less stressful on site .... But never been given the opportunity

Email a shed load of construction companies and house builders.

Interserve will let you tender for their work.

I did it about 4-5 years ago and started to get plans and drawings sent to me nothing massive just things like primary schools, police stations & medical centres.

I didnt end up doing any because they only give you a week or so to offer your price, you had to wait up to 90 days to get paid (meaning you had to fund the job yourself), I heard they have to by law offer jobs to at least 3 different contractors and usually they had already got someone.

It was way too much hassle, most want CHAS registered and possibly LTD.

It also helps if your sister is married to the guy who knows the guy, type of thing.

I think I put 10% mark up on materials, and priced skimming so I made £0.30 per m2, it was a bit too much hassle for what it was worth, then you have snagging which you get on all new builds.

Was too big a risk for me at the time, too much outlay for not enough back.

site work is ok if you are geared up for it. you need a decent wedge of money to cover labour, materials, running costs, late payments ,citb payments, retention, day work booked against you by other trades.

you will get orders like we need 8 houses done this week then no more for 2 weeks. so no stress there!

Status
Not open for further replies.