how many spreads?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilharbs

i've got to price a ceiling job up fellas.its a meeting hall ceiling,had water damage.total size is 135sqm,30sqm of new board has been introduced to replace damaged board.rest of the ceiling is artex.gotta 2 coat with multi.how many spreads?was thinking at least 4 with 2 labourers?they are having scaffolders build a false floor for ease of working height as it is 10ft.im just pricing for plastering labour and materials.25 bags of finish? any advice(sensible).

25 bags? thats seems alot!! not done anything near that size so wouldnt know but 25 bags seems alot to me

i did a 75m2 one and i think i used 13-14 something like that but it was all new board so it went further

18 bags max. A 2 and 1 gang should do that in 2 days, just put some joins in it.

I like to run a scrim right accross where i want the join to be. Then just before final trowel, pull it off (the scrim) and flatten along the length of the joint. Leaves a nice straight line to feather into.

thanks for the replies fellas,so im looking at the right amount of bodies anyway.do quite a lot of artex covering so i know sometimes it can nearly double the amount of finsh depending on the pattern being covered.for instance did a approx 20sqm one this wk and it was 3.5 bags.so im erring on the side of caution with the finish,rather use leftovers on another job than be scraping.would rather hit the whole thing in one go,but thanks for the advice.

i usually do 2 coats of 50/50 mix pva n water.let the first coat dry then a good going over again.start applying when its tacky but not wet.i did a ceiling once with another fella using the thistle bond-it stuff and didnt like it as loads of grit got pulled into the skim when applying.never done any joins but was shown by another guy too use 2 stop beads back to back with a 2mm gap inbetween too fill after.thanks all.

Bit unnecessary using stop beads mate. But if you must, why not use just 1?

Never used beads for joints, or any straight edge joints for that matter - they always show the break in a certain light.

You can stop and start a join freehanded anywhere - walls or ceiling, it just requires feathering the 1st coat to nothing to the board, leaving second coat shy of the 1st( also feathered to nothing), then to make good the joint, Pva a good section of the plastered joint and trowel in to make good.

I know a lot of lads will say you can't do this, but it has always served me well in the past, it just requires a bit more armwork on the join.

they all got used and it finished pukka decorator diddnt have to do anything to it, all taperd edge joints so that 7 for first coat flatten in and mabey 5 1/2, 6 second coat but i purposely laid on second coat thicker than normal to give me that little bit more time, it was only me and a labourer who could just about flatten a bit if i asked him to, so i thought any extra time is a god send

Never used beads for joints, or any straight edge joints for that matter - they always show the break in a certain light.

You can stop and start a join freehanded anywhere - walls or ceiling, it just requires feathering the 1st coat to nothing to the board, leaving second coat shy of the 1st( also feathered to nothing), then to make good the joint, Pva a good section of the plastered joint and trowel in to make good.

I know a lot of lads will say you can't do this, but it has always served me well in the past, it just requires a bit more armwork on the join.

Thats teh way I do it... I never liked that scrim trick... A straight join is a lot easier to spot

i've got to price a ceiling job up fellas.its a meeting hall ceiling,had water damage.total size is 135sqm,30sqm of new board has been introduced to replace damaged board.rest of the ceiling is artex.gotta 2 coat with multi.how many spreads?was thinking at least 4 with 2 labourers?they are having scaffolders build a false floor for ease of working height as it is 10ft.im just pricing for plastering labour and materials.25 bags of finish? any advice(sensible).

yes 1 shift. in wit favours are u fecken on aboot

yes 1 shift. in wit favours are u fecken on aboot
needs to be on in half a shift and finished, a whole day would mean that their is breaks in it and i dont do that, thats all i ment, its only 125m2.

im doing a 60m2 ceiling the morn i will be finished by 12, if 2 were to be on a ceiling double that then surely it would only take the same time ? never done one that size though so only guessing

7.30 tarn up
8.00 get oota tha van
8.15 drink a cup a tea
8.30 take a wee stroll intat room I be warkin in
9.00 get ma kit oota tha van
9.30 finish gettin ma kit intat that wee room I be warkin in
10.00-10.45 Pva tha ceiling
11.30 start skimming tha ceiling
2.30 finish skimmin tha ceiling
2.30 -3.00 clean up

That's tha way I look at it

Status