How do's ;-)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this forum, what makes me laugh is that I got ripped solid for being to old and told pretty much not to bother as I'm 35 !!

Just goes to show there are possitive people and negative people who would rather put off the fast teachers or newbies. If there's anything I have learnt from these threads is as an older person then your better of getting into general handyman maitainence maybe hit the rental estate agents if you can do a but of everything surely you would stand a better chance of getting regular work.

Good luck either way and don't be put off as I'm not!!

Being able to come onto a forum dedicated to plastering and being able to ask about learning to plaster with experienced people giving you their insight to the trade and plusses and minuses to the trade is better than not having the question answered. If everything was made out rosy a lot of people would enter trades then find out they are in the wrong trade.some of the spreads on here are in the belief plumbing, sparks etc are on big bucks etc and plenty of work, they are having the same probs as spreads. An handyman is a good trade for anyone of any age, but obv. Themore you know/can turn your hand to the more work is available. 35 is not old, but to start out in a grafting trade could possibly be considered old, you may be in your prime, only you know, but take advice from people who have been there and done it for decades not 5minutes. I would never want to put people off anything, just point out the downsides etc. good luck to both on you.

Your right, however at 36 I'm pretty sure hes not going to be an apprentice my guess 6 week course at the most then onto doing small little jobs to get by.

Which I appreciate to you guys is a piss take to your trade however that's the way things are going with this day and age fast track everything, I have 2 good friends that did a 5 day course in plastering a few years back then picked and choosed jobs to there ability and now there doing quite well for themselves they've added fitting bathrooms and kitchens to there work load but still doing alright tfir themselves and seem to have regular work.

I know its not ideal, but such is the way of the trades

oh good you understand the abuse then you F*****g pikey, stop making excuses for yourself nothing is fastracked oh expert of the construction industry

F*****g pikey??? A little strong I may add and its traveller not pikey!! I dont pretend to be anything def not an "expert of the construction industry"

Obviously I know nothing about you slinky, but who's to say you haven't come from a 2 bit 5 day night school class?? You never know and I could be an instructor from goldtrowel??? There's nothing wrong in giving a little possitive advise.

There's nothing positive you can offer to someone who's willing to do a short course then ruin someones house, it might just be me being a tad old fashioned but im pretty sure you should know what you're doing before the you offer paid work
Sorry if im out of order obviously I've got bad morals lol

There's nothing positive you can offer to someone who's willing to do a short course then ruin someones house, it might just be me being a tad old fashioned but im pretty sure you should know what you're doing before the you offer paid work
Sorry if im out of order obviously I've got bad morals lol

Thats not an old fashioned view. Its damn right and the way it should be. No way should people go in to other peoples house and fcuk them up!!!

Na all taken in light, I'm with you! You can't learn anything on a 5 minute course, unfortunately peoples lives wont warrant being able to do a complete apprenticeship in an ideal world we'd all love to retrain and do it the right way but it just wont fit with others lifestyles..

I don't doubt there have been some good plasterers to come out of fast track courses? Again id never claim to be a plasterer after a 5 min course.

You can have a provisional licence and drive but it doesn't make you a driver! Once you pass it still takes years of learning road sense..

Right I'm off to plaster my caravan

Plasma how are you going to learn?

I am doing a short course but not as short as some, mine is a 4 mnth Diploma, then after some work experience it will be the NVQ's, I would never go and do a job if I didn't feel I was capable of doing it, and I would never leave it a mess if I did **** up as I know tradesman who would help me out, I am a very quick learner, work hard and very confident this is the right move. Thanks for all your input fellas, much appreciated ;-)

Advertising need not be expensive m8, get you biz cards via vistaprint, always specials for newcomers, i had 500 biz cards for £9, do your own flyers a5size and del. yourself,put example prices on , people love ideas of price , put in brackets at bottom all prices subject to survey, couple of magnetic signs for your car and your missus if her has one, a-boards when working on jobs. Websites can be done for nowt on vista and say a £10 month hosting, but a friend of mine can sort you out cheaply. Take on other jobs if you feel competent, if skilled plasterers are struggling m8 then you will be lucky not too. Good luck.

That's spot on, thanks very much ;-)

I am doing a short course but not as short as some, mine is a 4 mnth Diploma, then after some work experience it will be the NVQ's, I would never go and do a job if I didn't feel I was capable of doing it, and I would never leave it a mess if I did **** up as I know tradesman who would help me out, I am a very quick learner, work hard and very confident this is the right move. Thanks for all your input fellas, much appreciated ;-)

Who you using plazma?? I haven't managed to find a course over 6-10 weeks yet, lots that say you can an "NVQ with 5 days theory training!! Be good to see who you have chosen and get a bit of feed back from the old timers on here.

You can't do an NVQ until you have work experience which means you need to get qualified first.

I'm using ATT who are a local course provider and funded by the Job Centre which is a bonus, there are shorter courses like you say but I wouldn't feel right being qualified in a month, this is a complete hands on course too with 'NO' paperwork involved, just hard graft and a Diploma at the end of it.

A course provider does nvq courses, also advertised is how to speedskim where you can vastly improve you're meterage lol

That would be goldtrowel I had to laugh, first well teach you how to plaster in 3 weeks then vastly imptove you're output........dont think there's anything to add to that im still in shock lol

lol so it seems I have found a good course provider then, you can't expect to learn any trade in the matter of weeks, I thought 4 months was cutting it short !

Hi Plazma,

Where there is a will, there is a way. You sound like someone who has the resolve to overcome obstacles and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Progress is incremental, and with each passing week on your course, it will bring you closer to understanding the art of plastering.

What qualities do you think make a really good plasterer?

Best regards,

Minh

Status
Not open for further replies.