How do you mix and spread?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you know about schools fatarm :RpS_lol: only that your not allowed near them :RpS_unsure:
Yeh your spot on there, I'm not allowed near them cause your superhero mates are actin as minders, so you can take you're pictures and sell them play dough Oh sorry clay!!!!! What's that comin over the hill????Is it aMonster??? Is it a monster

see listen to us old farts with the podgers, i use to hod too two spreads back in the 70's mix up browning in a bath with shovel and carry up a ladder soon as i put it on board it was gone :RpS_crying: lol
Ah memory's Ben been there, you were obviously not quick enough? Pish lab, you have to keep the spreads going, come on ! Pick up the pace!:RpS_scared:

seems like they did
prob be some sore heads this morning:cool: bet therell be some cringes when they open these pages up this morning :RpS_lol:

If it's daywork as the job I'm on now, I'm mixin one full five litre bucket with a stick and doin a quarter wall a day( and beads an tape if I have time) its a full room and including a big ten m2 lid, obviously I'll do that with some tomato sauce or creme of phallic extract thru my mix, slow it down a bit, give the two of us a chance. The old lady makes a great breakfast an lunch, tea and biscuits all day , the two of us have been there 2 weeks now, it's comin together now, another week should kill it if we work on a few nites late. It's good money but hard graft and the old doll is delighted, when we finish the plasterin, we've to do all the covin too( feckin four lengths ) so I'm pretty tied up busy like till oh October, Don't want to take the piss out of the old lady so only charging her £350( there is two if us ffs )a day an a told her to Provide material ie sbr, eml, 40 bags of skim, 50 beads, pva. Told her I would provide the fibatape and she labours to us...... I'm hoping she will pass on my number and get some more work out of it, even if I have to employ more spreads? Tough times but we manage.
Make sure that when you take her to the bank to get the cash that she fills your van up with juice and gives you a few quid extra for making the effort .:RpS_thumbup:

I'm 39 and have been in the trade since school, I remember my first day getting a blister in 10 minutes after knocking up plaster with a stick then finishing off with an artex plunger. Back then we used the small stadium buckets(awesome buckets go on forever), after a few years the plasterer I was working with invested in a drill and we bought a bigger bucket. After 6 years working with him I went on site in london with another spread and after 3 months went on my own. I used to mix up 2 tall buckets (using one at a time) mixing up around 2and a half bags and then 1 tall bucket to lay in, I nailed my routine to a T and that is key to working on site of course. After a few years I worked for a short while with the spread that introduced me to london work and he had started knocking up in the bigger tubs . After a short while went back on my own and carried on using that same method mixing enough for first coat in one bucket and then enough to lay in still doing the same amount as before 2 and a half bags for first coat and so on.
Once I got that down to a T and was comfortable with it I worked my way up doing 3 bags for first coat or just over and using around 1 and a half to 2 bags for second coat. I have always been known to put on a lil thicker than most and with 5 bags i think I average 40-45m2. I never struggle it isnt worth it so am never wondering that one and generally these days am doing more domestic work so am not doing the same metres but I can turn it on when I want to but my stamina isnt there to do it day in day out like I used to. My standard has never faltered and at my peak I did 3 hits on average ( 2 5 bag hits and a small 2 bag hit picking up cupboards).

see listen to us old farts with the podgers, i use to hod too two spreads back in the 70's mix up browning in a bath with shovel and carry up a ladder soon as i put it on board it was gone :RpS_crying: lol
I remember hodding S&C at 17-19, having a Hod on my shoulder and struggling with it always scared going up the ladder with the weight, I was always a skinny runt so the Hod felt like it weighed more than me LOL

I'm 39 and have been in the trade since school, I remember my first day getting a blister in 10 minutes after knocking up plaster with a stick then finishing off with an artex plunger. Back then we used the small stadium buckets(awesome buckets go on forever), after a few years the plasterer I was working with invested in a drill and we bought a bigger bucket. After 6 years working with him I went on site in london with another spread and after 3 months went on my own. I used to mix up 2 tall buckets (using one at a time) mixing up around 2and a half bags and then 1 tall bucket to lay in, I nailed my routine to a T and that is key to working on site of course. After a few years I worked for a short while with the spread that introduced me to london work and he had started knocking up in the bigger tubs . After a short while went back on my own and carried on using that same method mixing enough for first coat in one bucket and then enough to lay in still doing the same amount as before 2 and a half bags for first coat and so on.
Once I got that down to a T and was comfortable with it I worked my way up doing 3 bags for first coat or just over and using around 1 and a half to 2 bags for second coat. I have always been known to put on a lil thicker than most and with 5 bags i think I average 40-45m2. I never struggle it isnt worth it so am never wondering that one and generally these days am doing more domestic work so am not doing the same metres but I can turn it on when I want to but my stamina isnt there to do it day in day out like I used to. My standard has never faltered and at my peak I did 3 hits on average ( 2 5 bag hits and a small 2 bag hit picking up cupboards).

Thanks for sharing that, I feel like I know you much better now.:RpS_biggrin:

I remember hodding S&C at 17-19, having a Hod on my shoulder and struggling with it always scared going up the ladder with the weight, I was always a skinny runt so the Hod felt like it weighed more than me LOL

also i had to get to site half hour before to start mixing and lunch times non existence, mixing up a little wet and it running down yer neck
those were the days eh! :RpS_thumbsup:

You just put the bit at the end about picking up cupboards while plastering to impress us didnt you marra.........:RpS_laugh:

I've seen a lad do 9 bags on his tod, on that job everyone was doing 6 bag sets on average because the Walls were there

I've seen a lad do 9 bags on his tod, on that job everyone was doing 6 bag sets on average because the Walls were there

suppose you dont need so many bags when the walls arent there...........:RpS_laugh:

I wondered because some spreads I know mix up a couple of bags in one go to get it on, using gorilla tubs, then mix one bag to lay down.

Others i know just mix one bag at a time....two or three mixes to get it on, using the tall buckets, so the mixes are kind of 'timed' when flattening/finishing.

I usually do the first way. What about everyone else?

And do you think it affects how much you can get on?

"Hmm i normally dont mix the plaster myself i get a **** on £10.00 a day to do it... i use the cheapest buckets i can find then throw them away when the **** has finished mixing up..."

REmember when you had to use jute (i think thats how you spell it) scrim on ceiling and you had to mix a couple of buckets up just to get the scrims on and that horrible cotton or bandage scrim that always came to the top .

how many:RpS_scared: if it takes more than a bag and a bit then its too much for me:RpS_wink:

Yeah, I've seen a bloke do 10 bags, i was amazed. We struggled with 7 bags each but at least we left a perfect job....you live and learn i suppose.

oh up RPC for fucks ake will you tell me why you have 2 stars under your name and how you got them!!! :RpS_cursing:

oh up RPC for fucks ake will you tell me why you have 2 stars under your name and how you got them!!! :RpS_cursing:

i know he he but dont tell danny or you will loose them...keep running rpc :RpS_wink: i used to have two gold stars :RpS_crying:

Oh btw its a Hawk and always has been in my experience

I know rpc since i started in 78 it was called a hawk by all the spreads i came in contact with and now its suddenly called this G** handboard thing :RpS_lol: maybe thats it "handbag" the G** spreads are covering up, come on guys come out of the closet :RpS_love::RpS_wub:

:RpS_lol: ye monster you use to have 2 stars too until we grassed on you to our leader lol

:RpS_lol: ye monster you use to have 2 stars too until we grassed on you to our leader lol

i know who needs enemies when we have mr nps you're everywhere even taking over my patch we need more mods keeping you little fikers in place :RpS_mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.