How do you mix and spread?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CeeVee

I wondered because some spreads I know mix up a couple of bags in one go to get it on, using gorilla tubs, then mix one bag to lay down.

Others i know just mix one bag at a time....two or three mixes to get it on, using the tall buckets, so the mixes are kind of 'timed' when flattening/finishing.

I usually do the first way. What about everyone else?

And do you think it affects how much you can get on?

big tub with 3 bags for first coat then go from there really most of the time i work on my own so cnt be bothered to mix several times hate bloody mixing it always means i have to start working in a min:RpS_cursing:

The problem today is everyone wants to wack a big gauge on. with one mix, and that's not the way it works works, ( I'm gonna try an explain this so I don't sound like an old fart) when I started I used to knock up with a stick an a bike cog, a bucket at a time, on the board, an there was a fresh mix every ten to fifteen mins or so (or there abouts) so a full room went on in one rolling gauge , so you scratched a couple of walls on an laid down, then scratched a couple more on then flattened the first two, then laid the second two on . Same with ceilings , I did all the upstairs ceilings in a 3 bed, m house in one rolling gauge in a morning plus some reveals and alcoves or cuboards , nowadays they want to mix three/four bags up at once and can't understand why their struggling

Last edited:
I've been mixing one in a skim bucket put it on the spot, mix another in the bucket use the first and half the second then top the second up three quarters and remix itGet it on nice and tight you should get 30m and it goes off quicker

The problem today is everyone wants to wack a big gauge on. with one mix, and that's not the way it works works, ( I'm gonna try an explain this so I don't sound like an old fart) when I started I used to knock up with a stick an a bike cog, a bucket at a time, on the board, an there was a fresh mix every ten to fifteen mins or so (or there abouts) so a full room went on in one rolling gauge , so you scratched a couple of walls on an laid down, then scratched a couple more on then flattened the first two, then laid the second two on . Same with ceilings , I did all the upstairs ceilings in a 3 bed, m house in one rolling gauge in a morning plus some reveals and alcoves or cuboards , nowadays they want to mix three/four bags up at once and can't understand why their struggling

The voice of sense speaks again.

T knock up with a stick an a bike cog,

Me too, actually I still have my bike cog.
Anyway, I am a 1 bag mixer, then another, then lay it all in, trowel and off again. Keeps for a busy day but very manageable.
Worked well on all the site work and made good money, no lab, just me and another spread.
Dry lining on site, I cut and stick while other guy mixes and dabs. Suppose its how your used to working really.
Render /sand/cement, both spread, me left to right my mate whos a lefty right to left, drop down the lift, I will rule off while hes spreading, join him and so on. did that make sense?
Interesting over the years to see how others work, but its the end result that counts no matter how its achieved I guess.
Rock on !

With age comes experience but carry on mixing 2/3 mixes and your back will be fecked likes bods [h=2][/h]

My backs fecked because Im 6' 5" and I have always had to bend down especially when rendering on scaffolding they never make scaffold big enough to stand up properly, and I work with another spread a 1 bag mix last about 5 mins with 2 spreads hence the 3 bag mix.

I work with another plasterer. We mix two full gorilla tubs, one just right and the second wetter. By the time the first is used the second has stiffened a little and just right too.
Then we mix another brimmer to top off with.

if its a big area i prefer to mix as much as i can but i know if i knock up 3 i can handle on or then and proberly a one and half jobby for a first coat, in a standard house smaller areas and that ill just knock up in the smaller gorrilla useing one and a half/ mabey 1 and 3 quatres at a push, as long as im comfortable with the plaster i dnt care if its knocked up in an egg cup:RpS_thumbup:

Depends on the area really Henry. 30 on bad areas, 50-60 on good, that's 2 of us.

I don't see the point in pulling my b*ll***s out any more, I'm closer to 50 than 25.

Normally two, I dont like hard work, sometimes just one.

Most of our work is refurb so the rest of the day is taken with sealing, bonding, boarding etc.

If I was on site skimming on a price with just scrimming and beading to set up, I'd probably do three 25m sets, no more than that if i could help it.

Just some young pup trying to crash a wedding do. I woulda killed him :RpS_laugh:

The family still think I'm the bouncer in these kinda situations, I'm 47 FFS!!

Just some young pup trying to crash a wedding do. I woulda killed him :RpS_laugh:

The family still think I'm the bouncer in these kinda situations, I'm 47 FFS!!
you should have just pulled his pants down and smacked his arse......kids these days eh..........one stiff of the bar maids apron and they think they're tyson fury

Just some young pup trying to crash a wedding do. I woulda killed him :RpS_laugh:The family still think I'm the bouncer in these kinda situations, I'm 47 FFS!!
I'm sure you could have humiliated him with you're wit and humour bubbles no need to lift a finger mate? A public humiliation is worse than a kickin, IMO, did you used to be a bouncer ?:RpS_thumbup:

old school eh Paul :rolleyes)

Old school works, and works well.

I bought some tall buckets today to try it out on a full room. (not massive, but big enough for me on my own)
I had planned for two sets to get it done...full day, but tried mixing just one bag at a time and ended getting the whole lot on in one rolling set including ceiling in three and a half hours.

Don't think I sweated as much as normal either....

Frickin ace!

Last edited:
Old school works, and works well.

I bought some tall buckets today to try it out on a full room. (not massive, but big enough for me on my own)
I had planned for two sets to get it done...full day, but tried mixing just one bag at a time and ended getting the whole lot on in one rolling set including ceiling in three and a half hours.

Don't think I sweated as much as normal either....

Frickin ace!

see listen to us old farts with the podgers, i use to hod too two spreads back in the 70's mix up browning in a bath with shovel and carry up a ladder soon as i put it on board it was gone :RpS_crying: lol

If it's daywork as the job I'm on now, I'm mixin one full five litre bucket with a stick and doin a quarter wall a day( and beads an tape if I have time) its a full room and including a big ten m2 lid, obviously I'll do that with some tomato sauce or creme of phallic extract thru my mix, slow it down a bit, give the two of us a chance. The old lady makes a great breakfast an lunch, tea and biscuits all day , the two of us have been there 2 weeks now, it's comin together now, another week should kill it if we work on a few nites late. It's good money but hard graft and the old doll is delighted, when we finish the plasterin, we've to do all the covin too( feckin four lengths ) so I'm pretty tied up busy like till oh October, Don't want to take the piss out of the old lady so only charging her £350( there is two if us ffs )a day an a told her to Provide material ie sbr, eml, 40 bags of skim, 50 beads, pva. Told her I would provide the fibatape and she labours to us...... I'm hoping she will pass on my number and get some more work out of it, even if I have to employ more spreads? Tough times but we manage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.