How do you get work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJK

I've recently picked up the tools again in desperation after finding myself unemployed. I'd completed my apprenticeship many years before then left the trade due to recession.

I've been on a sharp learning curve over the last few months picking things up again but have enjoyed it.

Unfortunately work has run out and I'm now scratching my head as to what to do now because I really wanna make a go of this but to date it seems the longer your in the game the better it gets as you make more contacts as the years roll by.

How do you lads get work? Do you advertise etc? If so where and which kind of advertising have you found to be cost effective? Do agencies have plasterers on the books. Is it worth contacting housing associations etc?

Any help would be really appreciated lads so thanks in advance for any advice.

Word of mouth, phoning builders in the book/net, Facebook, advertising and not to forget the age old sticking the diesel in the van and driving round looking sites.

There are two things that're very important to consider before you decide where to advertise and what'll work best. 1) Where you are and 2) What you do (or want to do)?

So for example, in a big city with loads of competition then Check A Trade will be less effective than in a smaller community. High end work for a premium price on expensive restorations, barn conversions etc or smacking on loads of metres on new build estates.

I'm sure if you fill in a few blanks there'll be some guidance as to what works best for those doing similar. (y)

Depends on what market your after hitting.

Domestics - you need to invest, decent website, cards, sign written van and a range of skills, skimming, boarding, coving, rendering and keep clean, it takes time, money & patience but you'll build up a client base.

Site work/agencies - ask around, keep an eye on here and check the direct gov site, agencies are a good step into site work, work hard do the extra gauge and the main contractor will more than likely take you onto the next project, maybe on price cutting the agency out.

That's how I started after my training, then slowly invested into hitting the domestic market and moved over gradually.

You can make some decent contacts through agencies, I still have 2 maintenance/insurance companies that I take render and plasterwork from.

if you have no work at this time of year you may be out till easter.
call your local big time plastering contractor they turn over a large number of plasterers as the rates are poor, but they usually have plenty of large contracts on. rethink your position in the spring.

Have a pint... I pick up a few jobs from the pub... whether I want them or not :-

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sometimes i look at plasterers who i've worked with or have seen work they've done i think how the f**k do you get work.they tell me their rammed with work but i don't take any notice, i never say i'm flat out to anyone i just say work's steady, sometimes its just luck with work it just falls into place that what i've found over the years and for some plasterers its not what you know its who you know.

Sometimes i look at plasterers who i've worked with or have seen work they've done i think how the f**k do you get work.they tell me their rammed with work but i don't take any notice, i never say i'm flat out to anyone i just say work's steady, sometimes its just luck with work it just falls into place that what i've found over the years and for some plasterers its not what you know its who you know.

I agree, I know some cracking plasterers who have only worked here and there over these last few years and know plasterers who arent as good flat out. Reasons being, they have more hunger to go find the work.

Where are you based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm based in Blackpool. I'm gonna send a speculative letter out to local housing associations and a few of the larger building contractors in the area and see what happens. Ive also made a flyer and will print off 500 and go for a walk. Even 1 job from them may justify the hassle and if nothing comes from it I'm an afternoons walk worse off

I'm based in Blackpool. I'm gonna send a speculative letter out to local housing associations and a few of the larger building contractors in the area and see what happens. Ive also made a flyer and will print off 500 and go for a walk. Even 1 job from them may justify the hassle and if nothing comes from it I'm an afternoons walk worse off
You got a website?

You got a website?

Just my opinion but websites are best when selling a product rather than a service. And when take into account time and costs its more suited towards those already well established rather than those starting out.

Like I said its just my opinion so no offence meant

Just my opinion but websites are best when selling a product rather than a service. And when take into account time and costs its more suited towards those already well established rather than those starting out.

Like I said its just my opinion so no offence meant

Dont worry mate, nothing offends me, each to there own, think you might be missing a trick though.

Try LinkedIn once you start getting contacted to contractors most of them are on there just search for the ones local to you

Why not ring up plastering contractors in the area for site work?
Ok so your no flying machine at present but just tell them you are back in the game etc I bet they'll have a suitable job somewhere?....
Even site work on price you'll make 100 a day easy enough

Just my opinion but websites are best when selling a product rather than a service.

I used to think that but i now understand i was wrong. Yes some plasterers do well without them but websites are a great tool in gaining work. Potential clients will be able to see your work and it will look more professional.

the thing is you need top be doing a bit of everything... because if you are not doing it someone else will be...

Domestics - you need to invest, decent website, cards, sign written van and a range of skills, skimming, boarding, coving, rendering and keep clean, it takes time, money & patience but you'll build up a client base.

Site work/agencies - ask around, keep an eye on here and check the direct gov site, agencies are a good step into site work, work hard do the extra gauge and the main contractor will more than likely take you onto the next project, maybe on price cutting the agency out.

That's how I started after my training, then slowly invested into hitting the domestic market and moved over gradually.

You can make some decent contacts through agencies, I still have 2 maintenance/insurance companies that I take render and plasterwork from.
great tips I'm domestic only from 2000 & it's how you describe

Cheers for advice Mac. Would use it but for not having a pot to piss in.

Tried searching for agency work but found f**k all.

You'd think with the amount of plasterers on the fylde coast someone would take me on?

Giz a job someone out there. If not then food donations also accepted.... O and if poss a pot

I hate to say it mate buy your much better off trying to get s normal job and get finacialy secure and then over time build up a customer base and hopefully slowly transfer...

You can't set off with no years behind you no contacts and no customer base and expect the work to come in. It just doesn't work like that mate!

Gud luck

I hate to say it mate buy your much better off trying to get s normal job and get finacialy secure and then over time build up a customer base and hopefully slowly transfer...

You can't set off with no years behind you no contacts and no customer base and expect the work to come in. It just doesn't work like that mate!

Gud luck

Hate to admit it Zombie but I think youre right.

Your service is your product!
That's what you are selling!
I'd guess 90% now use the net for finding anything they want/need.
Not having a presence on the web takes you straight out the equation so your left with word of mouth and flyers which aren't what they used to be. Flyers are good when selling something at a set price to catch someone's eye.
Just put your details and services on there won't make them look twice.

Word of mouth you'll only get from previous clients which you haven't got at the minute or haven't enough of.

You have to be as different as possible to catch people interest.
Think long and hard and I guarantee you will come good.

Stand at your local B an Q with a sandwhich board wrapped round your neck with some sets prices for rooms starting from....... (Start cheap to attract) If you do that for a weekend and on a bank holiday id guarantee you'd get work.

Status
Not open for further replies.