How do I know what type of plaster I have?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryantHowe

I'm in the process of buying a 17 year old barn conversion. The internal walls look to me like a cement render has been used inside. Is this what lime plaster looks like?! How can I tell if its cement or lime or modern gypsum? There are a couple of areas where the paint has been forced away from the plaster, I'm wondering if its the result of non-breathable paint on lime plaster. Really confused! Anyone know how you can confirm exactly what you just have on your walls? Thanks!

If it's rock hard it's cement if it's soft it's lime if there's hair in it it's lime if it's pink it's gypsum :)

Thank you all! I think it's cement (no need for the Fred West helpline!). Cement isn't a good thing from what I'm reading however....

I'm in the process of buying a 17 year old barn conversion. The internal walls look to me like a cement render has been used inside. Is this what lime plaster looks like?! How can I tell if its cement or lime or modern gypsum? There are a couple of areas where the paint has been forced away from the plaster, I'm wondering if its the result of non-breathable paint on lime plaster. Really confused! Anyone know how you can confirm exactly what you just have on your walls? Thanks!
if it's lime it's softer and stoney In the backing coats ... My guess 17 year old conversion it's full of the hard stuff

My guess 17 year old conversion it's full of the hard stuff

Thanks seanlar - it's the conclusion I'm coming to. Thanks everyone else for your advice too.

Now I just need to work out whether I need to strip the lot out or leave it until it falls off the walls and do it "as and when"... Maybe I'll just get one of those cheapo new build places and leave the barn conversion to some other unsuspecting fool!

Status
Not open for further replies.