Votes: 13 15.5%
  • 18 Inches

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 20 Inches

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy send me an 11" trowel so I can try it rather than me buying one. Trying it then slinging it in the van. Plus I really haven't got space in the van for another trowel. I've got a refina but only use it for dabbing or in tight spaces.

OK no problem mate.

11 inch for me, same a Essex, got one a bit longer for flattening some times, ime a bit older than Andy but ime sure that's all we had years ago before Marshltown appeared.

I'm a domestic only worker and use a 16 mt all the time,I think it's right in that if I was doing higher metres then would probably drop down to my original 14(which I was taught with) I just find it's easier for flattening etc with a 16.

use a 14" trowel the most.

for years the only trowel in uk was the 11" one day in the early 70s i purchased a 14" marshtown from a enfield tool shop. when the other plasterers that i worked with saw it they called it a sabre, after a few days i could not get it back from them. next weekend back to enfield to purchase some more.

Almost every trowel I own is an 11" - plus a 14" free SS trowel I trialled from [ref ina]. ......... Leather handle and everything :RpS_wink:

Hi guys and gals, (wishful thinking) Just a quick note to say hello really. Name is Paul and beavering away in he midlands area. Interesting day today. Priced a job last week to skim ceiling and chimney breast. Arrived this morning to find the key where it should be and a note to " The Plasterer" Help yourself to Tea/ coffee and please be careful with the new carpet? you got it brand new burgundy red carpet down. I left a note and went home.!!

Hi Slapon, Great name, there is a link which was just posted on another thread for newbies here, click and enjoy. Link was posted by Nisus a few posts ago. Welcome :RpS_thumbsup:

Hi Slapon, Great name, there is a link which was just posted on another thread for newbies here, click and enjoy. Link was posted by Nisus a few posts ago. Welcome :RpS_thumbsup:

Thanks for that Olican. Where was that Link?

Hi Slapon I can't find the link mate but Olican just sent it me from his bookmarks for you so if it's the wrong one blame him as he's getting on a bit lol :)

Link>>>>www.plasterersforum.com/newbie_free_tool_welcome_package

I use a 20" for everything I have two one that is flatter for putting on and flattening and another well broke in for troweling up.

use a 14" trowel the most.

for years the only trowel in uk was the 11" one day in the early 70s i purchased a 14" marshtown from a enfield tool shop. when the other plasterers that i worked with saw it they called it a sabre, after a few days i could not get it back from them. next weekend back to enfield to purchase some more.
Gill and Oxby? Closed now shops a block of flats.

makes me laugh nowadays as people say they 1st coat with this size, lay down with that size, then trowel up with a plastic float.. fuk me, when I started you had a roughing trowel and a finishing trowel..lol... you would need a long wheelbase tranny to get all the trowels in..lol I think its a fad... I use a M/T 14 inch... for every stage of skimming..lol...

i can not remember the merchants name, but we often had to go there to pick up durite,and different spars.
That would have been Long and Somerville then on Southbury Road was a good merchants for mats and tools sadly long gone also flats now, some of the old staff are at Selco just seeing there days out.

long and somerville they was the merchants. thats where i found my first marshalltown.

i remember them i bought my first mixer from there haha, then they moved down to mollison avenue then buttles bought them out, i bought my stilts from the mollison ave brance when they were closeing/changing hands

What's all this 11" 16" 20" bollox :RpS_unsure:

The 2 old blokes I started off with showed me the proper way to do it.

Some people may laugh but I know they taught me the proper way :RpS_cool:

These are the tools of my craft :RpS_thumbup:

How Big Is Your Skimming Trowel

How Big Is Your Skimming Trowel

makes me laugh nowadays as people say they 1st coat with this size, lay down with that size, then trowel up with a plastic float.. fuk me, when I started you had a roughing trowel and a finishing trowel..lol... you would need a long wheelbase tranny to get all the trowels in..lol I think its a fad... I use a M/T 14 inch... for every stage of skimming..lol...

So you don't use a drill to mix your plaster then, cos we never had them either when you started?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.