Hi just started a limited plastering business any help on finding contact work or

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirst

Hi my name is tony i have been plastering for 7 years take alot of pride in my work. just wondering if there is anyone who has good exsperence in finding contract work of domestic. just some pointers would be great thanks :RpS_thumbup:

im kinda lucky and work comes to me have built up a some good clients over a few decades i vertually dont price against anyone and name my price, just keep asking around mate another thought is to try other products like venetian plaster etc so you broaden your market, see warrior and try wallcrete would be another string to your bow :RpS_thumbup: its all about market trends and knowing your strenghts in these difficult times try and move away from the mainstream site work where its all getting congested and the PM take the pi££.

where are you in the country? :RpS_thumbup:

Hi thanx clay im in central london. i cover quite i do bricklayeing screeding. marble flooring. going on a course for that ventian plaster. as for that do u think that ventian is any good. i didnt think much work would come fro that. where about r u in the country. as for word and mouth im doing well but i wanted to try for contracts or insurance work but reaky am new to this kind if stuff.

im in the same boat, tryin to get enough contacts in to start makin a name for myself. i try to price up as cheap as i possibaly can but its hard wiv foreighners undercutting me all the time n workin for as little as £50 a day sumtimes. i suppose we all just gotta b patient tho.

Hi thanx clay im in central london. i cover quite i do bricklayeing screeding. marble flooring. going on a course for that ventian plaster. as for that do u think that ventian is any good. i didnt think much work would come fro that. where about r u in the country. as for word and mouth im doing well but i wanted to try for contracts or insurance work but reaky am new to this kind if stuff.

Im in the Reading area of the country just completed a nice project in Portebelo Road in your neck of the woods. not sure where to start with insurance work and who to contact, personally i would keep to private customers smaller jobs higher margins and quicker turnover...turnover is vanity profit is sanity, cashflow is king i ask for 50% up front to cover my materials as they are not your normal bags of plaster and final payment on completion, works for me bud, i have waited over 6-8 weeks for insurance work money :RpS_unsure:

im in the same boat, tryin to get enough contacts in to start makin a name for myself. i try to price up as cheap as i possibaly can but its hard wiv foreighners undercutting me all the time n workin for as little as £50 a day sumtimes. i suppose we all just gotta b patient tho.

hi bud again try something new keep ahead of game and everyone else who are sitting back waiting for it all to happen take control make it happen :RpS_thumbup:

it is not the best time to try to start a plastering business. to build up a business in the domestic market the workmanship must be first class, you must leave the job spotless clean. do not regester for vat. you need returning customers.
to start with you have to give up a lot of time in the evenings talking to customers. we always supply our own material, so we get what we choose, and make a profit out of the materials.
in my area of suffolk there are breakfast clubs held in pubs ,in the early mornings,for business people to meet. alot of our work comes from clubs like to local yacht club, the suffolk hunt, the childrens schools,and word of mouth.
we now have over a thousand customers so work is self generating, but we have worked hard to get into this position

it is not the best time to try to start a plastering business. to build up a business in the domestic market the workmanship must be first class, you must leave the job spotless clean. do not regester for vat. you need returning customers.
to start with you have to give up a lot of time in the evenings talking to customers. we always supply our own material, so we get what we choose, and make a profit out of the materials.
in my area of suffolk there are breakfast clubs held in pubs ,in the early mornings,for business people to meet. alot of our work comes from clubs like to local yacht club, the suffolk hunt, the childrens schools,and word of mouth.
we now have over a thousand customers so work is self generating, but we have worked hard to get into this position
Where in Suffolk are you mate.

We've been in business 20 years had companys go under we joined checkatrade to get away for the the builders we get a lot form it also we do alot of wallcrete now courtesy of the warrior:RpS_thumbup:

every self respecting man goes to the club on a sunday while the woman is at home putting the puddings in:RpS_biggrin:

every self respecting man goes to the club on a sunday while the woman is at home putting the puddings in:RpS_biggrin:

nowt wrong with that mate :RpS_thumbup: im sure you treat her good and let her do the washing up as gesture of good will :RpS_wink:

no mate i got her a dishwasher tut am not that bad:RpS_biggrin:

how nice and conciderate are you mate wow! guys should take note how caring you are and not a chauvinist so easy to fall into this trap well done Ian :RpS_lol: bet she love you big time :RpS_wink: or ...love you long time

thats me down to a tee!! i give all the blokes down the club advice and they just dont take it:RpS_confused:

good luck mate. I know it sounds obvious but be clean, unless theres a skip take rubbish away. remember (or right down their partners, children, pets name for christmas cards, notifications ect).good ways to pick up work.... sign written van, other trades, plumbers and electrictions are great. estate agents are great to get in with and dont be afraid to offer a 'bird dog' to anyone handing out your card. lots of areas have a free local directory that only has local trades. just having 'insurance work welcome' does bring in some insurance work. local council work is an option but its hard to compete with the quotes. the clay fella was spot on with a neiche market if you can work yours out... honestly still looking.. when customers find an honest, clean tradesman that has respect they hand out your cards and refer you, hang in there because when it happens it seems to flood in for a while. if you dont mind traveling or moving there are still areas that are lacking good tradesmen, i was in cambridge about six months ago and when people found out i was a plasterer they all said they couldnt find proper plasterers. all the best

Cheers rob thanx for what u said there big help. i am in the process with checkatrade and that should do some good to seperate the good and the bad lol. also word and mouth realy has wroked for me at the minute. my web starts up in a couple of days. also cards come through soon. but thanx a million. hope u stay busy all the best tony

YOU'RE wrong mate,,,i'm a foreigner,,,,and i never worked under 80 after tax,,,in the worst cases..........and i do not start the van for something silly like 50 £...........i try to do other things instead of ruining the market.......

YOU'RE wrong mate,,,i'm a foreigner,,,,and i never worked under 80 after tax,,,in the worst cases..........and i do not start the van for something silly like 50 £...........i try to do other things instead of ruining the market.......
where u from

We've been in business 20 years had companys go under we joined checkatrade to get away for the the builders we get a lot form it also we do alot of wallcrete now courtesy of the warrior:RpS_thumbup:
Yes checkatrade(about £580.00 a year) is good and also local parish magazines (£50-£95 a year) One of them I get 4-6K a year every year and that's the £50.00 one. A very good return:RpS_love:. Recommendation is best and it's free, but that takes time I have been working for myself for 10 years and the first 3 is very hard most people will tell you that. Keep you prices sensible do a good job and be very very clean, you won't go wrong:RpS_thumbsup:

All comes with time and effort realy no easy way in, work hard produce a good finish be clean, work safe and gather lots of contacts along the way.ive had my company for six years now and i found contract work on big sites very hard to get into, very clicky, its not how good you are and doesnt always go to the cheapest tender its if you know the right people...... occasionaly you get a break and are given a chance/job to do, and after that i seem to get repeat business thereafter. Health and safety is a big issue on big sites (legally you should have a health and safety policy/statement depending on how many you employ now your limited) some contractors insist on a qualified supervisor (SSSTS 2 day course £300) being on site while your lads are working and arn't allowed to work if you dont have one, Method statement risk assessments CSCS cards and correct insurance all need to be in place,I could go on........ None of which i took into account when i started but you learn along the way, i still am learning.. Keep at it and hopefully youl get there in the end. GOOD LUCK:RpS_thumbsup:

Hi my name is tony i have been plastering for 7 years take alot of pride in my work. just wondering if there is anyone who has good exsperence in finding contract work of domestic. just some pointers would be great thanks :RpS_thumbup:

Hi Tony. I find the best way off getting work nowadays is networking. Check online for local networking groups such as bni, good chance for a new business to get to know people and find out where the work is. Also try sending letters out to kitchen/bathroom companys and builders detailing what services you provide. I find adverts in papers are very hit and miss and best way to advertise is with your mouth. Bad time to be starting up but all the best anyway. Stuart

Hi Hirst , Some cracking advice given in the replies here and I would take them all on board. Maintaining a professional work ethic is crucial as robthespreads quite rightly says but that has to be coupled with a strong marketing strategy if you want to expand or have a healthy turnover. Networking is key as is building a strong client base but I have found a lot of my regulars (I stay away from site bashing so a lot of my regulars are independent developers and medium size builders) have slowed down their output/ bankrupt etc. I much prefer the domestic market and there is always a lot of refurbishment/ renovation in my area. I find building control a useful source of potential work. For a small fee most councils will provide you with a detailed list of all planning applications pending or granted. I then customise letters with before and after images coupled with references. I sent out 115 letters 6 months ago and I still get the odd call and have completed a few nice jobs on the back of it. Digital camera and testimonials work a treat for me, wins me a lot of jobs. Hope some of this helps, good luck

cheers lad again. and have joint checkatrade and bni.also advertised in local directories and abit more. works comin in slowly but shorely. all the best for the new year

Status
Not open for further replies.