Hi, I really need help!!

Members online

Twodog

Hello experts, I really need some help. I’ve bought this massive Victorian house with giant ceilings. Obviously wood chip everywhere, plus damp and the usual problems :) noticed the paper coming off in the stairwell so have it a poke....revealing gypsum skim on top of lime plaster. On top of gypsum was pva then vinyl wallpaper, then wood chip and about 17 layers of paint. A lot of the skim on top of the line is just falling off-no issue there. Should I leave the adherent skim or have the lot off? The lime underneath seems very solid. This is on all internal walls. I’d really appreciate your expertise given that the walls are about 20ft high in the stairwell :)

Hello experts, I really need some help. I’ve bought this massive Victorian house with giant ceilings. Obviously wood chip everywhere, plus damp and the usual problems :) noticed the paper coming off in the stairwell so have it a poke....revealing gypsum skim on top of lime plaster. On top of gypsum was pva then vinyl wallpaper, then wood chip and about 17 layers of paint. A lot of the skim on top of the line is just falling off-no issue there. Should I leave the adherent skim or have the lot off? The lime underneath seems very solid. This is on all internal walls. I’d really appreciate your expertise given that the walls are about 20ft high in the stairwell :)
Hope you've got a massive budget to go with your massive house

As above really depends how deep you want to dig and how deep your pockets are if it needs doing get it done if it's fine how it looks redecoration maybe all that's required

Hello.

If it is indeed a massive house - it might have another staircase. Seal off the defective 20ft one and simply use the other. Simple.