Hi Guys

Members online

StanSpread

Well lads I'm leaving the military after 14 years and want to get into plastering. I am booked on what I think you all call a 6 week chancers course and then on to college for a year. I'd like to go self employed at some stage in a year or so time. Any help or advise would be mint lads!

Welcome mate.
Do the course, then try to get taken on by your nearest big plastering contractor. Try to get teamed up with experienced blokes, remember the basics, don't get your leg lifted, ask if you are in doubt. Learn.
All the best.r

Well lads I'm leaving the military after 14 years and want to get into plastering. I am booked on what I think you all call a 6 week chancers course and then on to college for a year. I'd like to go self employed at some stage in a year or so time. Any help or advise would be mint lads!
I did a 6 week course back in january and have been on my own since.....its a bit stressful and hard work but doable

go to goldtrowel, I looked into them all and visited a few and goldtrowel knocks spots off the rest

Who did you go with mate. I'm taking mine with gold trowel. Then I'm going to college for a year just to stay in some form of training. I think gold trowel offer the NVQ but the college one is a diploma so I'm just going to do both. Hopefully work with a mate for a year or 2.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Who did you go with mate. I'm taking mine with gold trowel. Then I'm going to college for a year just to stay in some form of training. I think gild trowel offer the NVQ but the college one is a diploma so I'm just going to do both. Hopefully work with a mate for a year or 2.

I did goldtrowel, tell shane matt curran said hello, to be honest I only had my redundancy money so did the course and dived straight in to domestics, did a bit of work first off with a spread from on hear and must say that helped a lot

A mate of mine came out of 3 para after about 5 year stint and was after a bit of work, came labouring with me when it was all sand and cement floating, awesome fella, slight of build but knew how to follow instructions. Unfortunately for me he went back in and is now private security in some god forsaken place. You lads do well in our game because you have to have a bit go about you, need to be organised to do well, however youth is premium.

Happy days I thought they looked the part mate. Fair play for running with it dude. I just want to work on my own after years of taking s**t lol. From what I've been reading on here I'll probably get more s**t tho lol

Happy days I thought they looked the part mate. Fair play for running with it dude. I just want to work on my own after years of taking s**t lol. From what I've been reading on here I'll probably get more s**t tho lol

If you've got the right work ethic you'll be fine....my biggest thing was I didnt realise how hard work it would be

A mate of mine came out of 3 para after about 5 year stint and was after a bit of work, came labouring with me when it was all sand and cement floating, awesome fella, slight of build but knew how to follow instructions. Unfortunately for me he went back in and is now private security in some god forsaken place. You lads do well in our game because you have to have a bit go about you, need to be organised to do well, however youth is premium.
Yeah I hear that the trade can take its toll. I don't know what it is I could have done any of the trades but for some reason I'm fixated on plastering. I am aiming once I have a handle in the trade to go back to gold trowel and add ceramics to my cap as I just want domestic jobs. Loving the banter on here as well!

hi Stan which area are you from--- regarding plaster training, if possible stay away from the shorter courses ---- head towards Nvq's and gain experience working with other plasterers (y)

Hey mate I'm from Cornwall next to Plymouth. I'm doing the 6 week course as it is part of my resettlement package I get for time served so it's free. I have also signed up for the NVQ at Plymouth colleague which I think is about a year but they said they would expect me to do it in a shorter period as I'm an old fart lol. Problem for me is that I am being medically discharged and need treatment for a year so colleague is the best option I think. Hopefully after that year I can get some trowel time with a local spread. I really need to start laying on because I'm addicted to buying new trowels and not even used them all yet lol

hi Stan which area are you from--- regarding plaster training, if possible stay away from the shorter courses ---- head towards Nvq's and gain experience working with other plasterers (y)
Where are you from mate? Do you enjoy the trade still?

Welcome Stan, I found my lower back was the weakest area after many years doing ceilings...so keep it strong.
Sorry to hear that mate back pain ain't a nice thing :/ I'll keep that in mind I must say tho I think one of the things that has attracted me to the trade is that I just want an excuse to buy a pair of stilts lol. Just had a thought what do you guys use for plastering stair Wells it's just I'm about to tackle mine at home and figured if there is a system you can buy I may as well go for it now?

Sorry to hear that mate back pain ain't a nice thing :/ I'll keep that in mind I must say tho I think one of the things that has attracted me to the trade is that I just want an excuse to buy a pair of stilts lol. Just had a thought what do you guys use for plastering stair Wells it's just I'm about to tackle mine at home and figured if there is a system you can buy I may as well go for it now?

Ladder and a couple of planks

1477034037676.jpg

When doing a staircase always remember safety first

Get on you tube and watch rwf and loads to learn from him. Especially how to bore people to death and talk s**t about rolex's :popcorn:

I think @Arti is ex military

Welcome by the way
So is @Hicky
I did Plastering for my resettlement and i was working for my brother in law who is a plasterer when I was on leave and he took me on when I left.
My advice would be do plumbing or electrician cos Plastering is shite.

When I left in 2005 all you heard was " can't get a tradesmen for love nor money ".
Making popstar wages back then. Warty a wall
@Fatarm