Hi everyone thank you for allowing me access to this forum. I am currently changing the use of a small barn into accommodation for my daughter.

Johni

I would like to know what plasterers think of the use fire line boards around steel beams to provide fire resistance? I have 6 beams to protect and insulate at the same time any help greatly appreciated.

I would like to know what plasterers think of the use fire line boards around steel beams to provide fire resistance? I have 6 beams to protect and insulate at the same time any help greatly appreciated.
confused steve brule GIF

Thanks everyone for all the responses, including the ones I don’t understand!

I had a previous experience of protecting a steel beam and the builder and plasterer said you could get the same protection with 2 thicknesses of plasterboard, hence my original question. I’m doing this project as a self build and will stay legal.

On another note I am aware it’s not easy to plaster over fireboard anyone with suggestions as to how I can do this successfully?

No one answered the question of insulating an 178x102 I beam 3.5 metres length.

Also would you expect wooden noggins to be wedged in down the length of the beam to allow fixing for the fireboard?

Thanks for any help

I had a previous experience of protecting a steel beam and the builder and plasterer said you could get the same protection with 2 thicknesses of plasterboard, hence my original question. I’m doing this project as a self build and will stay legal.

On another note I am aware it’s not easy to plaster over fireboard anyone with suggestions as to how I can do this successfully?

Also would you expect wooden noggins to be wedged in down the length of the beam to allow fixing for the fireboard?

Thanks for any help
Are you planning on doing this plastering yourself?

Thanks for any help
Oh dear John, you were doing so well until you said you’d be plastering it yourself. That’s like a red rag to a bull for the guys on here, only professionals allowed to mix and apply plaster mate.

Hi EssexAndy and Stuart I can confirm I want the plastering done to a high standard so will not be attempting the work myself. I have one eye on the architects drawings and the building control regime along with me trying to ensure that all the work is carried effectively and in the right order. In this way I can get a job done which is going to pass building control and look professional. Sorry for the delay in answering posts, I’m still receptive to any help. On another note what are the views of plastering at this time of year?

Hi EssexAndy and Stuart I can confirm I want the plastering done to a high standard so will not be attempting the work myself. I have one eye on the architects drawings and the building control regime along with me trying to ensure that all the work is carried effectively and in the right order. In this way I can get a job done which is going to pass building control and look professional. Sorry for the delay in answering posts, I’m still receptive to any help. On another note what are the views of plastering at this time of year?
What you mean views Plastering this time of year? We could do a yes or no poll??? Il start with a no thank you

I'd glue the noggins in as well as wedging,in case of shrinkage etc. You can use other vermiculite or cement boards but they cost more, double 15mm fireline is just as good.
At the end of the day all steel fire protection is just to delay collapse, long enough for you to get the hell out.

I'd glue the noggins in as well as wedging,in case of shrinkage etc. You can use other vermiculite or cement boards but they cost more, double 15mm fireline is just as good.
At the end of the day all steel fire protection is just to delay collapse, long enough for you to get the hell out.
Thanks Brimstone yes good idea. I was thinking of gluing a thin layer of insulation to the beams to prevent cold bridging then putting noggins in at 400 centres ready for the plasterer but also mindful that joists are running parallel to the beams so get that all done before joists are inserted.

To be fair to monkey boy, the Regs fire protection time is set to enable persons to be evacuated, which could need the fireman (or firewoman) to go in. -Assuming they get there in time.
Other than to rescue someone they will not go inside.

ps Actually knew a firewoman a while back, 5ft nothing - saw her transform over a few years from Biafran-like runner 'way faster than me, to not unreasonably bigger stronger firewoman who could throw a 6ft bloke over her shoulder and carry him away. And yes, a natural blonde and good looking to boot, with an Honours Degree.

Thanks Brimstone yes good idea. I was thinking of gluing a thin layer of insulation to the beams to prevent cold bridging then putting noggins in at 400 centres ready for the plasterer but also mindful that joists are running parallel to the beams so get that all done before joists are inserted.
Don't insulate - in a fire it'll fail first and let the fire boards fall off. There will be no cold bridging worth a damn with two layers of plasterboard wrapped around it.