Here we go! Been called back :(

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
Its one of them jobs that when doing it, I half expected this to happen.

Was skimming out an old cottage last year and the clients were happy with the finish. Or so they said anyway at the time. Told us we were excellent plasterers, thou you do get people blowing smoke up your arse at times just for the sake of it, until they get into the pub, then rip f**k outa everyone on the job because they think we've took to long or there was a part of skim that was 1.5mm thick instead of 2-3mm or the roofer wasn't up to scratch, he took to long and his helper was useless or even the plumber was a druken fool.

Anyway the quality isn't in dispute here. Its inside an opening where a stove was placed. On one side its cracked! When doing this, the walls where all over the place so ended up boarding it out with cement board screwed onto metal battens that where screws onto the inside of the opening. I actually phoned the rep for the cement board asking was this OK for beside a stove to which he replied that it was.

Couldn't get heat resistant plaster anywhere at the time and explained this to the clients. Told them only option was to skim it but it might crack. I explained we could leave it until I sourced the heat resistant plaster but ended up skimming it after pv'aing the boards.

Now plaster is cracked and needs redoing. I also advised them at the time tiling it or heat shield would be better but they choose the skim. I've located a store that sells the HRP but wanting to know a few things about it before using it.

If its been in store long, will it be like skim as in setting real fast.

What's it like spreading and waiting times of it.

Any things I should be aware off when using it.

I know I'm in my right to charge for my labor for this but as long as they buy the materials, I'll skim it on for free.

Last edited:
Never used it myself mate, but mine has cracked around my woodburner, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it. Cheers.

You covered yourself by telling them of pitfalls before you done job it's a case of its all on trust at least you can face them without fear of knowing it was a real over site,I hate the ones where you think they are ok then in end end up being complete dicks about it,your get it sorted mate sorry ain't got no advice on hpr have you asked @Bauwer if they do a product bloke seems knowledgable and willing to have a chat

Never used it myself mate, but mine has cracked around my woodburner, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with it. Cheers.
Why skim it? I think they look nice just rendered flat finish closed in with trowel

f**k that. I'd just politely say go f**k yourself. They didnt wait for it to be done right the first time so f**k them.

Keith rocks

Are they paying for this work?
It is fairly gooey to use and takes ages to set but to work right it recommends 6mm thick! I take it they have painted what you are going over?

You covered yourself by telling them of pitfalls before you done job it's a case of its all on trust at least you can face them without fear of knowing it was a real over site,I hate the ones where you think they are ok then in end end up being complete dicks about it,your get it sorted mate sorry ain't got no advice on hpr have you asked @Bauwer if they do a product bloke seems knowledgable and willing to have a chat

Yeah I explained it to them st the time but I know when I face them(they msgd me on FB) they will say otherwise. TBH, I don't really care, just want to get in and out of it ASAP after sorting it for them because have big job on a starting and don't want to leave it for a days fvuking about.

Why skim it? I think they look nice just rendered flat finish closed in with trowel
My woodburner is one fixed flush in a chimney breast (you just see a glass door in a painted wall).... the heat has crazed the plaster....so I might chip it off and do it again ( might not though)...

f**k that. I'd just politely say go f**k yourself. They didnt wait for it to be done right the first time so f**k them.

Keith rocks

Don't want any bad reviews thou in saying that, you do get fcuking idiots who do an aul slander here and there because they think they know best. I'm well capable of telling him to go fcuk or even worse but Ive turned over a new leaf with this business so have to play it straight. There's a side to me thou that some have very nearly seen these last 3 years and if I blow a gasket, they're fcuked!

Its vile s**t that heat resistant plaster.

Lay it on flat and leave it, come back late at the end of the day and finish it.

Absolute pig shite to use and finish hate it.
Also I've seen it crack up worse than skim with heat.

Also on the inside we use fire resistant board , the thin stuff about 5mm thick its a flat paintable finish that's resistant to heat from log burners.

Did I mention that heat resistant plaster is shite?

Are they paying for this work?
It is fairly gooey to use and takes ages to set but to work right it recommends 6mm thick! I take it they have painted what you are going over?

No, they will pay for materials just and maybe diesel money. I don't mind TBH. I'll take a % of the blame because I half expected this to happen.

When you say gooey, is it like that EWI plaster that sticks to the trowel and is a c**t to get off?

6mm is thick,! The beads are set for normal skim so if it goes on 6mm, it might be noticeable.

Yes, its been painted.

Yeah I explained it to them st the time but I know when I face them(they msgd me on FB) they will say otherwise. TBH, I don't really care, just want to get in and out of it ASAP after sorting it for them because have big job on a starting and don't want to leave it for a days fvuking about.
People can be arseholes at times at least you got a conscience to go back and do it its just a s**t feeling when you know you told them and done all you could to stop it happening but sometimes these things happen mate don't dwell on it

Its vile s**t that heat resistant plaster.

Lay it on flat and leave it, come back late at the end of the day and finish it.

Absolute pig shite to use and finish hate it.
Also I've seen it crack up worse than skim with heat.

Also on the inside we use fire resistant board , the thin stuff about 5mm thick its a flat paintable finish that's resistant to heat from log burners.

Did I mention that heat resistant plaster is shite?

Fcuk leaving it and coming back. Knowing my luck, it'll harden up and looks shite and needing to be redone.

My woodburner is one fixed flush in a chimney breast (you just see a glass door in a painted wall).... the heat has crazed the plaster....so I might chip it off and do it again ( might not though)...
Fair play then mate always hard when you do all you can to stop it happening and it still happens,it's almost as if cos you think it will happen it will

Don't want any bad reviews thou in saying that, you do get fcuking idiots who do an aul slander here and there because they think they know best. I'm well capable of telling him to go fcuk or even worse but Ive turned over a new leaf with this business so have to play it straight. There's a side to me thou that some have very nearly seen these last 3 years and if I blow a gasket, they're fcuked!
Blow the gasket. U will be surprised. They might not give a bad review. After they see the other side to u. I just do good work. If am happy with it am happy. But if the client tried to tell me what is good or bad I just give them the look. Don't let c**t's like them put u down. I had a bloke shining lights down the walls b4. He says to me do you see that. I said yes what's worng with it. That's what plaster is. Got my money. Seen the same bloke about 1 year later and he comes over and apologised to me. That he was worng that every body was all was asking who did the plastering work internal and external. I just wanted to punch him. But I said no problem. I still regret not punching the c**t (y)

Its one of them jobs that when doing it, I half expected this to happen.

Was skimming out an old cottage last year and the clients were happy with the finish. Or so they said anyway at the time. Told us we were excellent plasterers, thou you do get people blowing smoke up your arse at times just for the sake of it, until they get into the pub, then rip f**k outa everyone on the job because they think we've took to long or there was a part of skim that was 1.5mm thick instead of 2-3mm or the roofer wasn't up to scratch, he took to long and his helper was useless or even the plumber was a druken fool.

Anyway the quality isn't in dispute here. Its inside an opening where a stove was placed. On one side its cracked! When doing this, the walls where all over the place so ended up boarding it out with cement board screwed onto metal battens that where screws onto the inside of the opening. I actually phoned the rep for the cement board asking was this OK for beside a stove to which he replied that it was.

Couldn't get heat resistant plaster anywhere at the time and explained this to the clients. Told them only option was to skim it but it might crack. I explained we could leave it until I sourced the heat resistant plaster but ended up skimming it after pv'aing the boards.

Now plaster is cracked and needs redoing. I also advised them at the time tiling it or heat shield would be better but they choose the skim. I've located a store that sells the HRP but wanting to know a few things about it before using it.

If its been in store long, will it be like skim as in setting real fast.

What's it like spreading and waiting times of it.

Any things I should be aware off when using it.

I know I'm in my right to charge for my labor for this but as long as they buy the materials, I'll skim it on for free.
Patch it with joint cement. Problem solved. There won't be any cracks

People can be arseholes at times at least you got a conscience to go back and do it its just a s**t feeling when you know you told them and done all you could to stop it happening but sometimes these things happen mate don't dwell on it

Arseholes!! You wouldn't believe the half of them lol. Being in a small enough place (its big but all small towns talk yo each other alot). I've seen it quite a lot where all these idiots do is rip fvuk out of all tradesmen. Even after blowing smoke up all our arses. They forget thou that word gets about very fast here and there are long winter nights where people have very nastey accidents in places where no one would here them for miles.

Arseholes!! You wouldn't believe the half of them lol. Being in a small enough place (its big but all small towns talk yo each other alot). I've seen it quite a lot where all these idiots do is rip fvuk out of all tradesmen. Even after blowing smoke up all our arses. They forget thou that word gets about very fast here and there are long winter nights where people have very nastey accidents in places where no one would here them for miles.
Exactly mate 2 years ago I done a job for a woman she was alright first day I explained will unscrew all sockets to get a nice finish and she should leave off til painted as will make easier she went yeah no probs it was two days before Xmas eve as well when we left she paid up fine but on Xmas eve rang me to say I screwed sockets back after you left I've taken them off today and some bits have crumbled I explained what we went through and said I will sort day after Boxing Day she went into a rant saying I wasn't taking responsibility for it then when I said look it's 5pm Xmas eve I'm out at min I come round later she went don't bother and put phone down on me I did text day after Boxing Day but she never answered goes to show nice to face but rude on phone I told her how to do it but went against my advice wasn't a nice feeling

This is the problem with Facebook, through no fault of your own your now having to go back to repair a job that you said would probably happen anyway for fear of being bad mouthed. Are they paying for it to be put right?

This is the problem with Facebook, through no fault of your own your now having to go back to repair a job that you said would probably happen anyway for fear of being bad mouthed. Are they paying for it to be put right?
I'm half tempted to get you to build me a wank proof room so if it fails I can call u up mad say I've been caught lol

Did my fireplace with fireboard not the pink plasterboard but proper fireboard filled in the screw heads and painted it not a crack or screw head popped nd that's been ten years

I'm half tempted to get you to build me a wank proof room so if it fails I can call u up mad say I've been caught lol
Not going to lie mate hate a few close shaves, what you've got to remember is if she can't hear you then you can't hear her, managed to get the channel changed in time but just shows with everything I've done the idea is still flawed.

Not going to lie mate hate a few close shaves, what you've got to remember is if she can't hear you then you can't hear her, managed to get the channel changed in time but just shows with everything I've done the idea is still flawed.
Mate it's brilliant so funny the effort put in and last week when you went I'm getting real thing tonight I went hate when that happens you took as banter was cracking up :bailando:

Is right! FB can be decent for getting jobs but one bad review, the idiots are all over it like a rash posting s**t they know nothing about! I've seen some crazy s**t getting posted on there at times about tradesmen.​

Is right! FB can be decent for getting jobs but one bad review, the idiots are all over it like a rash posting s**t they know nothing about! I've seen some crazy s**t getting posted on there at times about tradesmen.​
[/QUOTE]
Correct mate, best keeping your business out it

Ive yet to see render in an open fire that doesnt fuuck up over time.
Its bullshit...the heat is too much.
Im keeping mines just brick.

Ive yet to see render in an open fire that doesnt fuuck up over time.
Its bullshit...the heat is too much.
Im keeping mines just brick.
I've done a few and never had a call back but I've seen hairline cracks on the face of the chimney so would advise using the fire before decoration Coz the cracks would easy paint over .

I've done a few and never had a call back but I've seen hairline cracks on the face of the chimney so would advise using the fire before decoration Coz the cracks would easy paint over .

Youd have to be mad to call someone back a year or 2 later.
The heat is too much over time.
Common sense tells me theres only so much anything can take with that amount of heat over a long time.

Youd have to be mad to call someone back a year or 2 later.
The heat is too much over time.
Common sense tells me theres only so much anything can take with that amount of heat over a long time.
But once it's completely dried why would it crack in the future apart from movement? Just curious :)