help with a letter

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitcake1987

hi guys I am in great need of some help with a letter I’ve been trying to write to future employers, I am 24 and live in Cornwall I am about to go on a plastering course but need to find a job once the course has finished, I’ve included in the letter that i don’t mind being a labourer until they are ready for me to start spreading but don’t no what potential employers want to no ie that i live in my own house that i have a mortgage on or that i live with my miss’s and my 3 year old son or that i have worked nearly every Saturday for the last 3 years any information that i could give a potential employer to think im not a 24 year old drunker that wont turn up for work and will mess them around thanks guys any input is gratefully received even if its a Cornish joke :RpS_biggrin:

I wouldn't say you've been on a course personally it'd put me off taking you on just bear in mind you'll be labouring for at least 6 months, it'd help if you can go self employed sort you're own utr number and do you're own tax return a lot of companies wont want to deal with the hastle of employing a lad and it broadens the people you can work for Inc subbies ...keep it short and sweet own transports a bonus apart from that get you're head down do what you're told and don't be too pushy about getting on the trowel it'll come in time

i get numerous cv's and prospective leters sent through every week.

A good letter from your point of view should be clear, correctly spelt etc
If your including a cv just include that you enjoy family life and spending time with your son.
tell the employer your experience,ie different projects youve worked on, different areas of plastering/rendering youve covered. how your aware of your health and safety at work, how well you work with others etc and how youd go that extra mile over someone else to comitment to the job, but dont go to far otherwise youll look desperate.
you have to sell your self pal in what is a very competative job market at present.

and agree with that fella spunky i wouldnt mention the course

I don't think itd hurt mentioning the course. I'd just say that you were doing it to get an brief understanding of the trade and that you realise it doesn't make you a plasterer. Don't waste your/their time with a family history.

It will the reality is lads don't want to **** around teaching labourers until they can hold hold their own doing basic labouring jobs when they get up to speed they start learning, it depends on jobs swell you might get put with a lad rendering or float and set and depending on the length of the job then you might get put with another lad who barely knows you skimming and he'll treat you like a labourer for a couple of months .....there's no fast track these courses are a complete waste of time you're better of spending the money towards a holiday ........a typically labourer is 16 doesn't need lots of money and has time and low cash flow on his side and plenty of time to learn, it's just the way it is mate

Ok guys thanks for the help, though if I don't mention the course do I just say that I've got a city and guilds in plastering but don't say where I got it ....

Ok guys thanks for the help, though if I don't mention the course do I just say that I've got a city and guilds in plastering but don't say where I got it ....

How long is the course your going on? Do you get a C&G qualification? I would mention the course its better than having no quals but mention your not the finished article but would like to work towards gaining more experience. Like whats been said a licence, transport, willing to work away, dont mind starting from the bottom to learn coz different plasterers work in different ways, having your own tools, non smoker, non texter (joke), like to spend time with your family, tell them about your dreams of owning a gold card, tell them you like going to the gym makes you sound fit and healthy, aware of health and saty, Have a CSCS card, Self employed, dont drink alcohol just a list of things some you may use but i wouldnt use them all coz i would never believe it lol

The course is 4 weeks with an exam at the end to get the city and guilds I've read a lot of bad things about courses but when I spoke to the tutor it sounded good they don't train any1 under 21 and only train 3 at a time the tutor reckoned that I had an advantage cause I had done artex and drying for a year b4 which il also state in the letter thanks for even more good advise !

i know, doing one tomorrow actually, i shall take a pic and send it you just to remind you how great i am.

Hi all thanks for all the help with the letter I've got just one more favour to ask I can't guarantee when I'm gonna do the course but am hoping to start it in October when would be best to send out the letters to possible employers ?

Hi all thanks for all the help with the letter I've got just one more favour to ask I can't guarantee when I'm gonna do the course but am hoping to start it in October when would be best to send out the letters to possible employers ?

September for **** sake ;)

Sorry if I thought a forum was a place to get advice from people in the know.. Thanks to every1 else that gave me GOOD advice it really helped me and my "dangerous brain"

Willing to work your b*ll***s off everyday doing whatever.Want to learn the trade own transport and cos you need the money for your family would do for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.