Help! Weird Wet Spots/Dots on new plaster

Members online

starcaster

Hi there,

First post, really sorry to bother you guys, but hitting a brick wall here now........

Here are some pics of the problem: (Hope they show up)

IMG-20150801-WA0011_zpsfnvnn9jf.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
pl4.jpeg
pl5.jpeg
pl6.jpeg
pl1.jpeg
pl2.jpeg
pl3.jpeg

So........ I first started lurking here to get info about having our hall plastered. Old Wood chip (2 layers) came off to reveal some weird brown varnish type paper. This stuff either came off in parts with the woodchip, or would not budge at all without taking the old victorian plaster with it.......
So after reading a few threads here it seemed thistle bond it was the solution. Myself and my better half, applied the bond it to all the surfaces including the ceilings 2 days before our plasterer was due to start. He knew we were doing this and was happy enough with this arrangement.

So our plasterer finished up last Tues (8 days ago now) The majority of the plaster has dried quite nicely and quickly except for these weird spots. Some google searching brings up similar pictures of a couple of articles saying it could be grease/oil stains, old nicotine stains or even mould :(

One of my best buddies is a plasterer and ive asked him and also sent these pics to the plasterer who done the job - no-one seems to know what it is. Another suggestion was that it may be spots where the bond it was on too thick?

Anyhoo............ I'm at the point now where I dont necessarily need to know what they are, I just need to know how to fix it.

I have tried Painting 3 coats of white emultion on a small test area, and the dots are still apparent.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Apologies for the long story tried to give as much info as poss in the first post :)

Thank you in advance for any help/info/guidance....

Steve

P.S. Sorry about the image sizes, - any advice on how to make it look more presentable and less anoying for you, let me know and ill edit the post - Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To put it bluntly there is some funny s**t underneath, you mentioned some varnish?????
Various things can come through, nobody will tell you what it is, I heard a while ago that an oil based first coat of paint solved many problems but have no experience of this myself.

you have got bleed through. i think that you need to talk to a decorator, poss needs a stabilizer as a sealer before you decorate.

Yeah, im not sure if varnish is the right description, I only started to piece together info from the few plasterers who came up to price the job. It was like a brown shiny paper which was in sections split with thick black lines, apparently it was used back in the day (victorian times) to apply ornate patterns etc...? Which made sense as there were some areas where you couls make out some faded floral patterns.

Stain block or oil based primer sound like good options.

So i take it no-one has seen this before? That seems to be the case in the hunt so far...

I really hope its not damp spots! - Could be a bigger problem than i thought :0

Hi.
I just finished a job last week where I had to over skim the walls.
It was a Victorian property, had old old wall paper, when this was removed the walls had these spots on the walls prior to skimming as I wondered what they were myself.
When I pva'd the walls it hung for ages and I'm guessing this something to do with the old paste/paper and is part of the residue that's left.
Not sure what they used to use but it has also come back through in spots but not like yours.
The only advice I can offer has already been given.
I'd mist coat the walls first and then seal after.
You'd be best buying a small pot of a few different makes though as they will vary in strength.
Try to get them from decorators centres and NOT places like B & Q, they will be much stronger for trade.
I know Zinnesser are a good manufacturer in the stain stop business.
Hope you can sort it. [emoji106]

I had a similar thing a while back on a reskim on an attex ceiling which I also used a pre grit, they gave it three coats of paint and it disappeared are you giving the paint a chance to dry before you are recoating?
image.jpg

IMG_0193.JPG
Hi Starcaster
I've got exactly the same problem on a newly rendered wall in our house. We're end of terrace and the spotting is on the side wall of the house only ( the end of terrace wall). I'd figured that the exterior render was shot and that it was damp coming through but decided on doing a bit of detective work before getting it hacked off and redone.
Prior to being skimmed the wall had a horrible fine gritty type finish which the plasterer pva'd before plastering. Like you the plaster dried leaving these spotted areas.
I'm wondering whether you got to the bottom of your problem? One decorator has suggested a coat of stainblocker- l guess l don't want to get it painted only for the problem to persist, so any advice or updates on your situation would be appreciated. Cheers
Nigel

Youd be surprised what comes through plaster.....throwing a tea bag at a plasterboard wall then skimming it.
The stain comes to the surface.

Dont know about nigels but the op pictures look like niccotine to me

I hate that song. What's the best stainblocker to get, somebody earlier said they differ in strength. I'd rather hammer it with the right stuff. Is Leyland any good?

I hate that song. What's the best stainblocker to get, somebody earlier said they differ in strength. I'd rather hammer it with the right stuff. Is Leyland any good?
Worst vehicle manufacturers they are
Just use gloss, deccies been using it for donkeys years

Think yourself lucky you've posted as Nigel........if it was Gordon......well there's a song about him as well.....

Please can someone help we live in an annex which is mostly plasterboard, what are these brown droplets on the wall and the black marks on the ceiling and what can we do to stop getting anymore

IMG_2415.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2419.JPG

Though this post is from long times ago but, for this photo related problem Photoshop's spot healing tool works really nice when you do lower the hardness of the brush.

Though this post is from long times ago but, for this photo related problem Photoshop's spot healing tool works really nice when you do lower the hardness of the brush.
Yes totally with you it’s something so useful for those pesky spots

your welcome