help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeDean

Hello everyone Im knew on here an reasonably knew to the trade been getting a bit of work lately just seems that the multi finish keeps going off quicker an quicker on me dont mind but not massive areas that im doing any ideas what I might be doing that could be making it set so fast please dont tell me moving to slow haha some is going off less than an hour :RpS_scared:

control the suction abit more marra and you should be ok.............or just man up and get quicker........:RpS_wink:
welcome to the forum ..................:RpS_thumbup:

Like artisan said control the suction more pva needed or add some washing up liquid or just bin multi off and use board finish instead mug better finish.

I would love some of the multi you have, what are you plastering onto , how are you preparing? this will help us to help you...

Hello everyone Im knew on here an reasonably knew to the trade been getting a bit of work lately just seems that the multi finish keeps going off quicker an quicker on me dont mind but not massive areas that im doing any ideas what I might be doing that could be making it set so fast please dont tell me moving to slow haha some is going off less than an hour :RpS_scared:

Here's a list of factors that affect the working time:

1) Heat: warm environments => less working time.
2) Plaster that has been mixed too thick: less water than normal => less working time.
3) Use of dirty water containing gypsum: the already reacted gypsum will send the mix off more quickly.
4) Suction: high suction => less working time.
5) Through drafts: more drafts => less working time.
6) Over mixing: extended mixing => less working time.
7) Expired plaster: use with caution.

All of the factors are straight forward to control. However 4) is most likely the cause of your problems. Since you are relatively new to plastering, save yourself the headache and use Gyprime for high suction backgrounds or Bond-it for smooth low suction backgrounds :)

In addition, if your first coat of plaster is too thin, there is less water available to quench the thirst of the background and the plaster will hang for less time :)

Last edited:
The first few post didnt answer the question properly mate, minhs answer was way ****ing better :RpS_thumbup:

Pmsl, if you think that's good you should see his toolbox...quality:RpS_thumbup:.
are you minhs mum???
tn_Red_Flag_Question_Mark_zps660263e4.jpg

Pmsl, if you think that's good you should see his toolbox...quality:RpS_thumbup:.
are you minhs mum???
tn_Red_Flag_Question_Mark_zps660263e4.jpg
Do I look like his mum? Why the **** are you knocking him? He gave his time to write that. Wasnt no google copy paste **** either :RpS_thumbup:

Do I look like his mum? Why the **** are you knocking him? He gave his time to write that. Wasnt no google copy paste **** either :RpS_thumbup:

Chill out Billy. I appreciate the sentiment but other members will be able to read the posts and make an educated decision :)

Billy, we just needed more detail, multi going off fast can be because of several reasons.. If I say I got knocked down today,can you tell me why?
I can feel some good answers here from some ...

welcome, Good advice from minh but these are the basics of plastering.There are many ways to slow a set down I'm new here too. But not here to teach others how to take work away from tradesmen .I'TS A HARD WORLD OUT THERE AND IF YOU DONT LIKE CORNED BEEF
YOU'LL STARVE

welcome, Good advice from minh but these are the basics of plastering.There are many ways to slow a set down I'm new here too. But not here to teach others how to take work away from tradesmen .I'TS A HARD WORLD OUT THERE AND IF YOU DONT LIKE CORNED BEEF
YOU'LL STARVE

The op said he was new to the trade. Do you not remember when you first started out on your own? Hes asking for help. Whats the point of you posting something like that? You might as well of not posted any thing at all :RpS_thumbup:

By new you mean not a clue, so i'll ask this lot. This is not a playground people have thousands ££££s tied up in there homes,they Need someone who knows what there doing
Why should they pay for someone to practice on there homes? would you let a novice fix the brakes on a loved ones car?

By new you mean not a clue, so i'll ask this lot. This is not a playground people have thousands ££££s tied up in there homes,they Need someone who knows what there doing
Why should they pay for someone to practice on there homes? would you let a novice fix the brakes on a loved ones car?

Why dont you share with us your advanced methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.