Help on this issue

Why couldn't the damp issue get sorted .instead of hiding it away.
Flaunching o.k, lead work good, pointing good on stack and external wall. No broken tiles. If rising damp would be on adjoining walls. Was it vented when blocked up.

No such thing as rising damp . It’s a scam

maxresdefault.jpg

Flaunching o.k, lead work good, pointing good on stack and external wall. No broken tiles. If rising damp would be on adjoining walls. Was it vented when blocked up.
Isn't it because if the chimney is damp and problem is fixed the water can still sit in the chimney breast for 12 months plus. Thats what a damp proofing company told me

probably because the original report was done by someone who did'nt/couldnt be bothered to put a ladder up and have a look at the roof.

Its not really a big job is it? Looks like just one plasterboard at most. Cant you give it another week before you do anything and it you have to rip it off. ........ Next time stud it out off the chimney breast with 2"x2". Damp cant come through then can it?

Or is that not possible?

We use the wykamol membrane and you have to use the tape to seal the joints, as they state if not used no guarantee, and to be fair without actually being there to see it no one can 100% tell you what it is thats causing the issue.
If you have sorted where the damp was coming from in the first place, vented the chimney, hacked off the contaminated plaster , boarded/ floated the wall out and followed the membranes instructions could be the dabs, if you have not done all that it could be anything.
The whole damp issue is very hit and miss, one persons fix will be completely wrong to the next person that comes along and has a look at it.

Best of luck

Google it

All I can say is if you put a brick or block in a puddle of water it will soak it up. All you have to do is look at brick work below DPC level and see it is continually damp throughout wetter seasons. The problem most people see is a environmental issue (Condensation) adding to problem and can sometimes be the only issue. But if there is a failed DPC area damp so therefore colder and increases the condensation.
The only real solution to failed DPC is to replace phisical DPC huge job. The rest is a temporary solution.

All I can say is if you put a brick or block in a puddle of water it will soak it up. All you have to do is look at brick work below DPC level and see it is continually damp throughout wetter seasons. The problem most people see is a environmental issue (Condensation) adding to problem and can sometimes be the only issue. But if there is a failed DPC area damp so therefore colder and increases the condensation.
The only real solution to failed DPC is to replace phisical DPC huge job. The rest is a temporary solution.
I thought rising damp from ground level only rises less than 3ft?

I thought rising damp from ground level only rises less than 3ft?
Go to the damp section and read the article I posted a while back then make your own mind up.
Don't think that guys methods are very scientific. Different materials act different. Put a thermalite block in water. I get that the heavy water line would be quite low but moisture will be absorbed higher and put that in a area that hasn't a huge air flow around it, the surface becomes colder and condensation accelerates the problem. The undamaged DPC stops damp from draining down creating a new level to start the capillary action further along and up. Also why is it when you have a burst mains underground the water travels up the wall several feet. We've all seen this.
I agree that most cases of suspected rising damp are instead environmental issues. And the lower part of the wall is affected mostly because it's the coldest area with often less air circulation.

Don't think that guys methods are very scientific. Different materials act different. Put a thermalite block in water. I get that the heavy water line would be quite low but moisture will be absorbed higher and put that in a area that hasn't a huge air flow around it, the surface becomes colder and condensation accelerates the problem. The undamaged DPC stops damp from draining down creating a new level to start the capillary action further along and up. Also why is it when you have a burst mains underground the water travels up the wall several feet. We've all seen this.
I agree that most cases of suspected rising damp are instead environmental issues. And the lower part of the wall is affected mostly because it's the coldest area with often less air circulation.
Dunno..........................But when I was on building we used to renovate old houses with air bricks to allow air to circulate under timber floor which always got blocked by shite.

First job after clearance was to remove all plaster upto 1 meter (I think) above floor and then damp course would be drilled and pumped into each brick inside and outside. The reason it was approx 1 meter was because rising damp never went higher than that.....so we were told...................perhaps all has changed now?

Dunno..........................But when I was on building we used to renovate old houses with air bricks to allow air to circulate under timber floor which always got blocked by shite.

First job after clearance was to remove all plaster upto 1 meter (I think) above floor and then damp course would be drilled and pumped into each brick inside and outside. The reason it was approx 1 meter was because rising damp never went higher than that.....so we were told...................perhaps all has changed now?
I haven't dispute the height. Just that I can't see how they say rising damp is a myth
I personally don't believe injecting is a permanent solution.
I think it is a constant battle of rising damp vs evaporation dependant on air circulation, but that isnt to say there isnt a issue.and we don't have a constant breeze flowing throughout our houses.

I haven't dispute the height. Just that I can't see how they say rising damp is a myth
I personally don't believe injecting is a permanent solution.
I think it is a constant battle of rising damp vs evaporation dependant on air circulation, but that isnt to say there isnt a issue.and we don't have a constant breeze flowing throughout our houses.
Well what I remember is floors collapsing because the joists were rotten in the walls and some of the biggest fungi I have ever seen. If its a myth I would love to know why we had to knock off all the plaster then?