help, be gentle

Members online

gman68

Hi all I really need advise before cold weather returns.
Had a 'builder' extend a single skinned brick shed to make a workshop/office for me. He used what i found to be thermolite block to extend the shed.
He then placed a plastic membrane on the inside wall, batonned it, plasterboarded it and plastered it. He was supposed to return and render the exterior but Ive not seen him since lockdown.

A couple of weeks later during winter, i saw pools of water on the floor around the edge of the room. It looks like condensation is occuring behind the plaster board and running down the cavity into the room.

my question is.

Will rendering increase the temperature of the wall enough to prevent the condensation?
Would tanking the external wall help.
Or, would creating an external cavity by battoning and shiplapping the external be a better alternative?

Really hope someone can help?

Reaction Hello GIF by MOODMAN

You need to move the dew point way towards the outside of the block skin wall which you may achieve with external insulation applied (before any finish coating)
Bit of a builder issue really for a belts and braces solution. Cavity wall best
Look up “interstitial condensation” to start getting your head round it
PS
Stop breathing in there & not be boiling kettles for your brew also get ventilation added or improved too

You need to move the dew point way towards the outside of the block skin wall which you may achieve with external insulation applied (before any finish coating)
PS
Stop breathing in there & not be boiling kettles for your brew also get ventilation added or improved too
Solid advice

PS
Many thabks

So. A plastic membrane on the outside wall. Baton, external insulation and cladding would do it?

Many thabks

So. A plastic membrane on the outside wall. Baton, external insulation and cladding would do it?
Well if you did it in that order,… no
Insulation needs to be against the wall, otherwise that would be like sleeping under a duvet that is floating one foot above you! Useless even if it was 100 tog
You’ll either going to do a ton of reading and research or hire reputable builder really?
Architects and project managers with good trade relationships are not a waste of money

Hi all I really need advise before cold weather returns.
Had a 'builder' extend a single skinned brick shed to make a workshop/office for me. He used what i found to be thermolite block to extend the shed.
He then placed a plastic membrane on the inside wall, batonned it, plasterboarded it and plastered it. He was supposed to return and render the exterior but Ive not seen him since lockdown.

A couple of weeks later during winter, i saw pools of water on the floor around the edge of the room. It looks like condensation is occuring behind the plaster board and running down the cavity into the room.

my question is.

Will rendering increase the temperature of the wall enough to prevent the condensation?
Would tanking the external wall help.
Or, would creating an external cavity by battoning and shiplapping the external be a better alternative?

Really hope someone can help?
Rip off and start again with someone doing it properly

This is why people dont like coming on forums. Smarmy comments
Smarmy? The only way to rectify that job is to rip it off and get another plasterer to do it properly. How the f**k is that smarmy?