Hello

Leyland

Evening all. Circumstance brings me to hopefully learn from your good selves.

Had some walls skimmed earlier in the year. Old Victorian house, walls in question covered in Artex. Plasterers primed with PVA and skimmed with Multi Finish. F/fwd a few months and plaster has come away on a good 2/3 of that section of wall as in clean away.

Don’t want them back, that room had long vertical cracks, bubbles and finish was just dire from the off. Odd as rest of the work including 2 tricky ceilings was spot on.

Figured I’d have a go myself as a fairly small run of wall. Prepped with Blue Grit and used Multi Finish. Got a fairly good finish considering my first go if I do say so myself. Struggled to blend seamlessly into the old new plaster but will just sand it down and make it as good as I can.

I’d not really looked into kit properly but did buy a 14” Refina Plaziflex. Bit annoyed with myself as I’ve put a fair few scrapes into the plastic blade going onto the Blue Grit. I know Rookie error and all that. Having read a bit around things seems I’m best using that for my dry trowel so need to get me a standard trowel and maybe a medium flex trowel. Found the Plaziflex quite nice to use but it’s clearly not for applying and flattening!

Can only get better with more practice and fortunately the house has plenty to offer me so yeah that’s me. I’ll be checking the site out trying to pick up tips and tricks as I go.

Cheers

Evening all. Circumstance brings me to hopefully learn from your good selves.

Had some walls skimmed earlier in the year. Old Victorian house, walls in question covered in Artex. Plasterers primed with PVA and skimmed with Multi Finish. F/fwd a few months and plaster has come away on a good 2/3 of that section of wall as in clean away.

Don’t want them back, that room had long vertical cracks, bubbles and finish was just dire from the off. Odd as rest of the work including 2 tricky ceilings was spot on.

Figured I’d have a go myself as a fairly small run of wall. Prepped with Blue Grit and used Multi Finish. Got a fairly good finish considering my first go if I do say so myself. Struggled to blend seamlessly into the old new plaster but will just sand it down and make it as good as I can.

I’d not really looked into kit properly but did buy a 14” Refina Plaziflex. Bit annoyed with myself as I’ve put a fair few scrapes into the plastic blade going onto the Blue Grit. I know Rookie error and all that. Having read a bit around things seems I’m best using that for my dry trowel so need to get me a standard trowel and maybe a medium flex trowel. Found the Plaziflex quite nice to use but it’s clearly not for applying and flattening!

Can only get better with more practice and fortunately the house has plenty to offer me so yeah that’s me. I’ll be checking the site out trying to pick up tips and tricks as I go.

Cheers

just use one trowel and get good with that.

Yup, and that’s why it’s looking a bit sorry for itself. Stupid to not look into it more before having a go, but lesson learnt.

@Leyland
You could the one, thing is I came to plastering in the traditional way. I just can't comprehend how you could become a plasterer or even a half arsed skimmer just on the Internet
Good luck though, Neo.
bring_it_on_matrix.gif

Fair enough. I totally get this is something you only truly get good at through time and experience and there are no shortcuts. I’ve gone the paid route and that didn’t work out for me, or as well as it should. Why wouldn’t I try and pick up a new skill?

Fair enough. I totally get this is something you only truly get good at through time and experience and there are no shortcuts. I’ve gone the paid route and that didn’t work out for me, or as well as it should. Why wouldn’t I try and pick up a new skill?
Fair enough.

I got to third paragraph and my brain started to hurry.

@essexandy fatha sort it out for em
Ok John I read it slowly and carefully so as not to miss anything.
To summarise; basically someone has f**k*d up, client now wants to have a go themselves, at which point I stopped giving even a hint of a flying f**k.
You're welcome any time John.